1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What makes you the most nervous

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by AquasFloraAndFauna, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Advertisement
    As a T keeper what thing makes you the most nervous? For me it's when a fast sling or Juvie tries to bolt on me. I worry about crushing them or losing them. Or in the case of sturdy old worlds. Forget about them for a while and Discover them crawling on me in the middle of the night as a 4-5 inch T some time down the line. Hasn't happened to me yet but I'm not looking forward to it if it does

2. starnaito

starnaito Arachnosquire

PA
    I have a lot of pretty calm Ts, so I don't worry so much about bolting or escaping. What makes me most nervous is unboxing slings. Sometimes it's hard to find them, and I tend to freak out that I might accidentally crush them or lose them. This has never happened or come close to happening, as I'm very careful to prevent it. But it still always worries me.

3. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnomancer Arachnosupporter

Maryland
    Rehousing fast specimens. My D. pentaloris nearly gave me a heart attack once...before I could blink, she had bolted out of her enclosure and ended up on the underside of the kitchen table.

4. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

I. New keepers with OWs.

2. Handling.

Nothing in my collection makes me in the least bit nervous. Experience alleviates most keeper concerns.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. Aestas

Aestas Arachnopeon

Germany
    what does OW stand for?

6. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Old World...aka "hot" tarantulas

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Aestas

Aestas Arachnopeon

Germany
    aaah, ok, thanks :)

8. I
    Can definitely agree on those. Especially that first one. I currently have a juvie OBT that i rescued because the previous owner was terrified of her and her slowly developing attitude. He hadn't cleaned out the dead and uneaten crickets he had fed her. And had her on soaked soil. She preferred the lid over the ground

• Sad Sad x 1
  9. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoprince Active Member

CA
    The thing which makes me most nervous isn’t any of my animals. What makes me nervous are the irresponsible people doing something that ruins the hobby for the responsible people. The other thing which worries me is more legislation that may be passed restricting my ability to own these animals.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Sad Sad x 1
  10. I find it irritating that the legal system is interfering with some of these species in a way detrimental to them. I have a few weeks before the pokie law is in effect so I'm getting some while i can.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

Nothing I have makes me nervous -- I have been good about not getting ahead of my skill level -- but I am more cautious when working with some of my tarantulas (due to speed, temperament, etc.).

Rehousing is generally when something is most likely to go horribly wrong. I have extra catch cups on hand, and if possible, and extra set of eyes/hands.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hardus nameous

Hardus nameous Arachno FNG Arachnosupporter

Kansas
    Broken enclosures, as most of mine are glass; also forgetting to replace lids or properly secure enclosures.

• Like Like x 1
  13. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

Scumbag Chilo.JPG

• Funny Funny x 15
    • Like Like x 1
    • Clarification Please Clarification Please x 1
  14. spookyvibes

spookyvibes Arachnobaron

Indiana
    Pesticide/chemical exposure. It doesn’t help that I live in the midst of soy/cornfields.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Buying and raising almost exclusively slings. Some just die. For apparently no reason. Absolutely sucks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. basin79

basin79 Arachnoking Active Member

When I see one of my tarantulas flip ready to moult. I much prefer to find them done and dusted so I don't worry.

Seeing a tarantula moult for me = squeaky bum time.

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. FrDoc

FrDoc Arachnobaron Active Member

Ditto! Especially when you’ve thrown down a chunk of change for a sling that just dies. Learned that lesson a while back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Jerry

Jerry Arachnobaron

Ordering T's threw the mail the hole idea bothers me to no end and I still haven't ordered any my collection would probably grow faster if I did

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Clarification Please Clarification Please x 1
  19. FinnMosin

FinnMosin Arachnopeon

Power outages during the dead of winter.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

When a seemingly health AF you've owned for years mysteriously goes on the slow decline to death. They are black boxes with 8 legs.

• Agree Agree x 1