What kind of mite is that ?

Otteresting

Arachnoknight
Hello,

I am making this thread because I've got a problem with mites. I already made a post, everyone said it wasn't something I should worry about as long as these mites aren't the predators ones or too numerous. But here, everytime I water the LP water dish, I am finding some mites (alives) floating on the water. These mites are pretty alike to predatory mites from what I've seen on some pics.

I took a picture with my phone (quality sucks, but you can see their shapes)
20180312_132416.jpg

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I think they meant parasitic mites (which they won't be, you'll only encounter those if you get a wild caught animal that already has them), predatory mites eat other mites etc.

Otteresting

Arachnoknight
I
I think they meant parasitic mites (which they won't be, you'll only encounter those if you get a wild caught animal that already has them), predatory mites eat other mites etc.
I rehoused her with a bigger water dish but a dry substrate and see what happens. In a month or so, I'll will be rehousing all my T's in 30*30*30 exoterra and new substrate to get rid of these mites

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I rehoused her with a bigger water dish but a dry substrate and see what happens. In a month or so, I'll will be rehousing all my T's in 30*30*30 exoterra and new substrate to get rid of these mites
All you're achieving with these constant rehouses is stressing out your tarantula, if you're that bothered about the mites then get some springtails/isopods, they'll outcompete the mites for food.

Also, those Exo Terra enclosures aren't great for terrestrial species and even worse for heavy-webbing fossorial species for a plethora of reasons that have been gone over in numerous threads already.

Otteresting

Arachnoknight
All you're achieving with these constant rehouses is stressing out your tarantula, if you're that bothered about the mites then get some springtails/isopods, they'll outcompete the mites for food.

Also, those Exo Terra enclosures aren't great for terrestrial species and even worse for heavy-webbing fossorial species for a plethora of reasons that have been gone over in numerous threads already.
Alright. I should definately get some isopods, tried to raise them once but they all died misteriously. I am just going to buy some.

I know that these rehouses are stressful, but mites are grooming inside her water dish. I'll try with springtails

Toddydog

Arachnosquire
Let's start with where are they and what are they doing?
I have mites in one of my enclosures but they are kind of nice actually. They stay near the water dish and never on the T.
Instead of killing them off by using extreme measures that wouldn't work anyway, I just let the enclosure dry our more. I think honestly my T is happier with a dryer set up and it lowers the number of mites.
From my understanding the only mites you need to worry about is if they are getting out of control or if they are on the joints of the T.
I'm also not an expert so I empore you to wait before doing something drastic, get more advice from more experinced people, and do more research on your own.
I know how scary it is seeing them, I freaked out too but its most likely nothing bad. Good luck!

Otteresting

Arachnoknight
Let's start with where are they and what are they doing?
I have mites in one of my enclosures but they are kind of nice actually. They stay near the water dish and never on the T.
Instead of killing them off by using extreme measures that wouldn't work anyway, I just let the enclosure dry our more. I think honestly my T is happier with a dryer set up and it lowers the number of mites.
From my understanding the only mites you need to worry about is if they are getting out of control or if they are on the joints of the T.
I'm also not an expert so I empore you to wait before doing something drastic, get more advice from more experinced people, and do more research on your own.
I know how scary it is seeing them, I freaked out too but its most likely nothing bad. Good luck!
I don't think they are disturbing my T's, but I don't like seeing them inside their water dishes but I guess that should hurt them if they had to drink. Since I am seeing people using sprintails in every videos, I'll try these little guys :)

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
If the T is currently in dry substrate, there's no point in getting springtails because they'll die. They need at least a bit of moisture.

Springtails will hang around/in the water bowl just like the mites do, so you'd only be substituting one clean up crew for another. It's ultimately up to you, but I personally don't see why people freak out over one type of harmless detrivore, and then decide to resolve the "problem" by introducing a different harmless detrivore.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I personally don't see why people freak out over one type of harmless detrivore, and then decide to resolve the "problem" by introducing a different harmless detrivore.
Because one doesn't swarm all over my entire shelving unit and make it look untidy when there's a population explosion :p

Otteresting

Arachnoknight
If the T is currently in dry substrate, there's no point in getting springtails because they'll die. They need at least a bit of moisture.

Springtails will hang around/in the water bowl just like the mites do, so you'd only be substituting one clean up crew for another. It's ultimately up to you, but I personally don't see why people freak out over one type of harmless detrivore, and then decide to resolve the "problem" by introducing a different harmless detrivore.
I can only agree with you on that point. I am just afraid of having to handle an explosion of mites, but It will probably never happen

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Because one doesn't swarm all over my entire shelving unit and make it look untidy when there's a population explosion :p
Fair enough. I suppose I haven't had a true population explosion of either. I've seen plenty of stray mites wandering about outside of enclosures, and I did see a single springtail once, but with pet millipedes, isopods, and grubs, I assumed that just came with the territory and resigned to my fate. :rofl:

I can only agree with you on that point. I am just afraid of having to handle an explosion of mites, but It will probably never happen
I admit that a population boom wasn't something that crossed my mind. I have so many moisture dependant pet detrivores that mites and springtails are just commonplace to me and I didn't take into consideration the fact that not everyone is as completely unphased by them

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I didn't take into consideration the fact that not everyone is as completely unphased by them
Don't get get me wrong, I don't panic when I see them, they're a minor annoyance (mostly because I consider them unsightly), they occasionally turn up in my mealworm or roach colonies, usually during the summer due to the higher humidity.

Otteresting

Arachnoknight
I assume that they are not bothering my T's and it's all that matters now. For those that likes to swim in my T's water dishes, I am just making the cleaning up more often :).

Thanks for answering, no worried anymore :)

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I don't think they are disturbing my T's, but I don't like seeing them inside their water dishes but I guess that should hurt them if they had to drink. Since I am seeing people using sprintails in every videos, I'll try these little guys :)

I had this issue with one of my australian bird Eaters. Constant rehousing will stress them out to the point they will starve themselves to death