What kind of acrylic is usually used in tarantula enclosures?

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
Gotcha. Thanks! I really appreciate the help!
Sure thing I like to build things it comes in handy sometimes ;). My new cages are going to be 5 gallon aquaria though with custom kids much easier and once I get a template for the lid will take me seconds to build em lol

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
@Phormic28
Ok with cut acrylic, you need VERY SMOOTH, STRAIGHT edges to weld or it looks pretty miserable and/or will not weld properly.

There are plastic table saw blades that cut really nice or you might just need to over size the piece and router it smooth.

I would personally highly recommend a plastic drill bit. They prevent blowout and are actually suited very well for cutting acrylic smoothly. My first few times drilling acrylic using a home modified drill bit for plastics went ok, but when I bought and used that plastic one... I could hear angels singing...:angelic:

Just use lexan and steel bits are fine! Sure it's expensive, but at least you'll have bullet/shatter proof plastic! :astonished:

AndrewBiddar

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my Acrylic enclosures warped with moisture so i was under the impression it was too thin. gonna try a sturdiness material.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
@Phormic28
Ok with cut acrylic, you need VERY SMOOTH, STRAIGHT edges to weld or it looks pretty miserable and/or will not weld properly.

There are plastic table saw blades that cut really nice or you might just need to over size the piece and router it smooth.

I would personally highly recommend a plastic drill bit. They prevent blowout and are actually suited very well for cutting acrylic smoothly. My first few times drilling acrylic using a home modified drill bit for plastics went ok, but when I bought and used that plastic one... I could hear angels singing...:angelic:

Just use lexan and steel bits are fine! Sure it's expensive, but at least you'll have bullet/shatter proof plastic! :astonished:
Thanks for the reply! (Sorry it took a while for me to respond).

I'll be getting a plastic drill bit for sure (from TAP)! Do you think it's not really wise to cut the acrylic by hand with a knife? I was just going to ask them to cut one piece of each size and then use that as a guide for the others.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for the reply! (Sorry it took a while for me to respond).

I'll be getting a plastic drill bit for sure (from TAP)! Do you think it's not really wise to cut the acrylic by hand with a knife? I was just going to ask them to cut one piece of each size and then use that as a guide for the others.
I've never cut them by hand but I suspect the scribe and break method won't yield a perfect edge. I've tried a fine tooth band saw and a guide and it certainly didn't give me smooth enough edges to glue. You might want to try on a piece first and see if it's OK.

With even the slightest waviness, you'll create gaps. Unevenness and gaps will create bubbles. If you don't mind having those bumps and bubbles, then it might be fine.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I've never cut them by hand but I suspect the scribe and break method won't yield a perfect edge. I've tried a fine tooth band saw and a guide and it certainly didn't give me smooth enough edges to glue. You might want to try on a piece first and see if it's OK.

With even the slightest waviness, you'll create gaps. Unevenness and gaps will create bubbles. If you don't mind having those bumps and bubbles, then it might be fine.
He's right. I've heard the same thing.
Well there goes my plan... I was thinking about sanding the sides down to make them as uniform as I can get, but I don't know how plausible that is.

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
Sanding with progressively find paper after cutting will get you a good edge. Router would be better though. Ordering precut from taps plastics looks better and better :). Order glue and done ;)

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Sanding with progressively find paper after cutting will get you a good edge. Router would be better though. Ordering precut from taps plastics looks better and better :). Order glue and done ;)
Haha, if it wasn't so pricey I'd have ordered pieces from there by now. I think I'll just find somewhere to buy an enclosure/

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
Haha, if it wasn't so pricey I'd have ordered pieces from there by now. I think I'll just find somewhere to buy an enclosure/
It's not too bad still cheaper then buying one I priced out 4 peices ore cut it came to like $30 order an assload of hinges and all so you have em and have at it!

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
It's not too bad still cheaper then buying one I priced out 4 peices ore cut it came to like $30 order an assload of hinges and all so you have em and have at it!
Only problem is that if I'm order 3/16" the pieces come out to $80 (four 20x12 and two 12x12 for a Pampho. enclosure) alone w/o shipping and other parts, but I'm just nervous about drilling holes in it, if I do happen to crack one, then it's all a waste.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Did you get cast or extruded acrylic?

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well there goes my plan... I was thinking about sanding the sides down to make them as uniform as I can get, but I don't know how plausible that is.
Is not just sanding an edge smooth, it's sanding it perpendicular to the sides within 0.01". If you're not at least close, it's all crooked and everything goes to heck... trust me, i know.
I've made those edges crystal clear (turns out printer paper works better at polishing acrylic and lexan that polishing paste or crocus cloth) only to realize over 15" even 0.4 degrees off makes a BIG difference!

TarantulasWorld

Arachnosquire
I use .22 or .23 acrylic sheets. Anything thinner or even thicker tends to warp and bow over time

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Why does a bit thicker bow...due to weight?
I'll add that I've seen many acrylic 125 gallon fish tanks that not only have the tarantula standard of air, but water that creates a resultant force of over 2500 lbs on the walls and they don't warp too quickly.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'll add that I've seen many acrylic 125 gallon fish tanks that not only have the tarantula standard of air, but water that creates a resultant force of over 2500 lbs on the walls and they don't warp too quickly.
That's why I was confused by the person's statement. I don't know enough about acrylic materials. I thought for sure if a thicker material bowed, how come I haven't heard of this w/ all the "new" fish tanks that are made of acrylic that is even thicker, and as you said, have more force against it with water inside.....