What is your favorite Arboreal species?

PhilMcWonder

Arachnoknight
I'm still a pretty big fan of Arboreals and would like to add a new one to my collection soon. To get some ideas of what I should look into, what are some of your favorite arboreal species and why?

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Although im new to Poecilotheria, they are in a league of their own, simply stunning in appearance, they hunt good, and are fun to watch as slings. I have one that will run to a little hole in the cork bark everytime I open the lid. Whats funny is only part of it fits, so its whole abdomen and back legs are hanging out.

If I cant see you, you cant see me, HAHA!!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Poecilotheria rufilata. IMG_20190304_142216_235.jpg
Lampropelma (Omothymus) violaceopes
IMG_20190227_221640_380.jpg IMG_20190327_145616_558.jpg
Iridopelma hirsutum IMG_20190325_064615_785.jpg
Psalmopoeus irminia
IMG_20190130_174456_453.jpg

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pachistopelma sp. Havnt kept any but due to their living habits i like them in a platonic way!:angelic: Otherwise, ill say some of the Tapinauchenius sp? Or Poecilotheria sp, dunno there are so many!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Arboreal/s? Spiders living upon trees, like Tarzan? Heresy! Doesn't exist such a thing! :pompous:

It's all about obligate burrowers! :bored:

:)

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree, i like terestrials better. Even if i like arboreal, i like terrestrials better

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I'm a simple man. I like Caribena versicolor (even though mine has become a total recluse and I never see anything more than front feet any more) and Avicularia avicularia.

Last edited:

Dman

Arachnosquire
Love my A. Avicularia. She is always out and active. Very docile and beautiful. Great display piece

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
My favorite is psalmopoeus cambridgei. Not sure what the fuss is about with pokies. P cams are big, beautiful, and always visible

Dman

Arachnosquire
My favorite is psalmopoeus cambridgei. Not sure what the fuss is about with pokies. P cams are big, beautiful, and always visible
I can't wait for my P. Cambridgei to get larger and come out of hiding. She is always in her web tube. She just kicked her molt out of her tube yesterday and then went back to hiding. I never got to see her new clothes.

Attachments

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I can't wait for my P. Cambridgei to get larger and come out of hiding. She is always in her web tube. She just kicked her molt out of her tube yesterday and then went back to hiding. I never got to see her new clothes.
God I love psalmopoeus! I respect the pokie people but hey... to each his own.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
God I love psalmopoeus! I respect the pokie people but hey... to each his own.
I raised 2 from slings and both turned out male. So I am going to have to refill with a few more soon. I have a pulcher and irminia i havent been able to determine the sex yet. I love them all but p cam is the leader ao far

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
C. versicolor - Often out, great eaters, go through awesome colour changes as they grow, they're just freakin' gorgeous.
View media item 51441
P. irminia - My favourite species from the genus by a country mile, stunning, not as reclusive as people make out they are, stunning, eat like tanks, did I mention that they're stunning?

L. nigerrimum - Black arboreal (females are black, males turn brown at around 2") that eats like a beast and has a major attitude problem.
View media item 57683
Psalmopoeus victori - It's a black and red Psalmopoeus, what's not to love?
View media item 57465
P. subfusca "Lowland" - One of the few Pokies that actually interest me, really calm, great eater, stunning.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
It’s hard to to quote almost every post here. I gotta go with P rufilata. @Venom1080 ‘s picture shows it better than any I have. You gotta see it in person to get it.

My Psalmos are second in line, but Poecs have are big, beautiful and have a finesse that Psalmos just don’t have. If Psalmos are Corvettes then Poecs are ZR1s.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Currently, Tapinauchenius rasti (formerly known as sp. Union Island and sp. Caribbean Diamond):

Adult female, freshly moulted, photo taken with a Pixel2 with flash. Just a gorgeous spider and mine is very calm.

I also enjoy pretty much any Poecilotheria, but my subadult male P. metallica has the most personality out of the ones in my care. P. tigrinawesseli subadult male, very skittish; P. sp. Sri Lanka "Pascal," a 2" suspect female which is also pretty skittish, but not to the same degree as the P. tigrinawesseli; and a P. ornata sling.

docwade87

Arachnoknight
C. versicolor - Often out, great eaters, go through awesome colour changes as they grow, they're just freakin' gorgeous.
View media item 51441
P. irminia - My favourite species from the genus by a country mile, stunning, not as reclusive as people make out they are, stunning, eat like tanks, did I mention that they're stunning?

L. nigerrimum - Black arboreal (females are black, males turn brown at around 2") that eats like a beast and has a major attitude problem.
View media item 57683
Psalmopoeus victori - It's a black and red Psalmopoeus, what's not to love?
View media item 57465
P. subfusca "Lowland" - One of the few Pokies that actually interest me, really calm, great eater, stunning.
I have access to a P. Irminia sling for a very reasonable price. Have been very attracted to them due to the black everywhere and chevrons on the abdomen. Was a little cautious of their size and aggression however don’t think it’s anything I can’t handle. Your pics and talk of them definitely has me leaning towards getting one. Also have access with decent price of C. sp. Hati Hati...I’m assuming you would still say Irminia?

Also adding P. Gigas sling in a couple weeks.

I think they will fill my need for larger, quicker more robust arboreal Ts.

Anything you have to add??

Not trying to hijack thread, however this is a great thread the OP started and feel that this response is still in line with the thread. OP can benefit from instead of me starting new thread with same content.

Last edited:

PhilMcWonder

Arachnoknight
I have a P.Irminia
LOVE IT! It is always out and about. And FAST too. When it grabs prey it sprints off with it in the blink of an eye!

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I love my girl P. metallica and also my C. versicolor. To me it’s not just the colouring, but also the great temperaments. I really wish my lowland subfusca wasnt a male, they are definitely my second favourite pokies. Maybe someday I’ll get a female.