1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is your dream myriapod?

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by eggcellent, Oct 9, 2017.

1. ShyDragoness

ShyDragoness Arachnoknight Active Member

Advertisement
    probably Scolopendra morsitans, tho any pede I would be so happy with, currently banned in my house. Which tbh is fair I will get one once we dont have big paws in the house! Gives me time to learn

2. LawnShrimp

LawnShrimp Arachnoangel

They are definitely different. One is from Mexico and the other from Brazil.
    Messicobolus is another Mexican species I want... Like bumblebee millipedes but 8".

3. LawnShrimp

LawnShrimp Arachnoangel

There is the Philippine Mint Leg, which should be called something to differentiate it from the mainland variety, likely a different species.

Mint Legs is a sp. from the China/Vietnam border in Guangxi autonomous region. It is a maroon brown with slate sides, pale yellow antennae and electric turquoise legs. This was one of my dream myriapods and I am so glad to own one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  4. eggcellent

eggcellent Arachnopeon

Yeah, I see different types of centipedes dubbed 'mint-legged', They seem to be different species but I had no idea if there were.
    Man, the Philippines certainly has such stunning Myriapods.

Your baby is lovely, I am very jealous and happy you were able to get one :0
    Do you have any other pics?

5. Redmont

Redmont The collector Arachnosupporter

Do you know where they are from?

6. I would've listed a tiger E. rubripes as one of my dream inverts, but as you all know, I've now got a big one with a big attitude. IMG_0137.JPG

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  7. Salvador

Salvador Arachnosquire

I already got mine too, so what's hanging around on my list right now is S.subcrustalis and some nice Thailand S.dehaani "Red Flame Tip" .

8. Barbarica

Barbarica Arachnopeon

I've wanted African Giant Millipedes for a long time. I was fortunate to have flamelegs, which was on my myriapod bucket list.

9. KevinsWither

KevinsWither Arachnolord

Scolopendra galapagoensis, gigantea, heros/ dehanni (haven't gotten time for those)
    In the millipedes, more archiosprocterus gigas/rainbow millipedes.

10. eggcellent

eggcellent Arachnopeon

hahhahaha I actually find really bitey animals interesting

11. mickiem

mickiem Arachnoprince

Thanks to @Marika I dream of Spirostreptus sp. 8. So beautiful. I'll continue to enjoy your C-pedes in your photos. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  12. LawnShrimp

LawnShrimp Arachnoangel

One is from Mexico and the other from Brazil. I found them on the site iNaturalist, a good place to search for unidentified species.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. RTTB

RTTB Arachnoprince

Probably catching my own S heros in neighboring AZ will be my dream myriapod.

14. Indeed! I just took your advice, and found a new centipede to add to my drool list! This S. morsitans was found in Western Australia. It looks like a coral snake!
    Morsitansmorph.JPG

Here's a link to the full observation:
    https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/2333749

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. eggcellent

eggcellent Arachnopeon

proof centipedes are snakes with legs
    seriously though, I hope these guys become available in the hobby.

16. Unfortunately, Australia cannot export anything, so even if they do get into the hobby, they'll only be available for us Australians.

17. I'm reletively new to the hobby (been keeping about a year now). Mine has got to be the Cali fornia species Motyxia Sequoiae.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Looking at all those Centipedes makes me drool. The significant other won't let me keep them.

18. Elytra and Antenna

Elytra and Antenna Arachnoking Old Timer

USA
    The attached is always my answer to this question.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  19. kevinlowl

kevinlowl Arachnoknight

KL
    • Like Like x 1
  20. eggcellent

eggcellent Arachnopeon

In California, it is excessively hard to import any type of invert that isn't a tarantula or millipede. And getting answers on what you need a permit on is exhausting.

Woah. I am stunned at how many fluorescent species of inverts there are in my state. Personal fear is what keeps me from centipedes, however, I am probably going to tough it out and snag a few

Snaps :0
    I keep forgetting albinism can happen in mills and other inverts, I hope we can end up with more varied morphs someday.

• Agree Agree x 1