What is your collection composed of mostly?

Terrestrial, Fossorial or Arboreal? NW or OW?

• Total voters

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Same here. I have been keeping tarantulas for about 20 years and I am still not ready for old world species. :wideyed:
Funny how that goes. I had my first OW's less than a month after I got my first T. I know that's not how you're supposed to do it, but I've never had any problems (to any newbies reading this; Do as they say, not as I do).

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
As much as I'd like some OWs, my collection will only consist of NWs until my living situation allows for my rabbits and inverts to not share a room.

For the rest of it, I'm not including 3 MMs that are out on loans simply because 2 of them were abnormal for their species in terms of preference, so that would just complicate things:

Arboreal: 2
Terrestrial: 10
Fossorial: 1

However, I forsee some new additions to the arboreal category soon, and possibly some new additions to the other two as well if my wallet permits

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
NW: 30
OW: 15

Terrestrial: 30
Arboreal: 7
Fossorial: 8

Adding more arboreal OWs lately on my collection. Might get a C. sp Hati-hati or an H. maculata next.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
My favourites are the big chunky terrestrial NWs -- that's what I had originally pictured in my mind as the definitive 'T' before I ever got into the hobby.

C fimbri's a hider (burrowed and hidden unless hungry), OBT and P cambri just speedies threatening to escape (they didn't!) and my avic webs so much all I can do is show a picture of a cotton candy floss enclosure while insisting there really is an avic in there. lol

Give me a nice pet rock terrestrial NW any day! Plus, for short distances, my NW terrestrials still sorta rival a tappie for speed anyway at feeding time! :)

[Really, I do like all Ts]

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Now I feel like I need to start counting once I get home today :shifty:
I am an over-organizer... I have a "total" (how many spiders there are) list, then it is broken down into... how many species/how many baboon species, how many individual baboons, how many OW/NW, how many unsexed/male/mature male/female, and then also a separate ledger for MM (my own, loans, purchased, etc) breeding logs. This all in addition to each spider having their own record page with date and source acquired, name, species, sex, molt/feed/breeding dates.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
In new to the hobby but have 2 NW one terrestrial and one arboreal and one OW arboreal. G Pulchripes P. Cambrigei and P Everetti

dmac

Arachnopeon
I have mostly NW terrestrials, but want more arboreals. Currently have six arboreals, one of which is a pokie (P. regalis). Have four other OW. Want more dwarf species as well.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Funny how that goes. I had my first OW's less than a month after I got my first T. I know that's not how you're supposed to do it, but I've never had any problems (to any newbies reading this; Do as they say, not as I do).
I wasn't completely serious in my post. The third tarantula I ever owned was an adult female wild caught Cyriopagopus lividus (as Haplopelma lividum) in 2001 and I had it for years. Back in those days, they sold for $35 USD. I have had tarantulas from every continent and with every disposition. The only exception are the African arboreal species Heteroscodra maculata and Stromatopelma calceatum. Never owned those before. I remember the day I picked up the C. lividus from the FedEx shipping center and brought it home. I thought the internet was full of crap when it was said they are fast and aggressive since it was very calm when unpacking and housing it for the first time. Months later I realized the internet was certainly not full of crap when I needed to rehouse it! The rehousing went fine though. It took some trial and error to learn how to cup a biting tarantula without getting my fingers in the way.

The truth of the matter is that I don't think I ever developed a good technique for capturing fast bitey species from their enclosures and I got tired of dealing with rehousing them. The two species that I have had that were absolute nightmares to rehouse and deal with were Pterinochilus murinus and Cyriopagopus vonwirthi (pet trade Cyriopagopus paganus). Having those species made me give up old world species for good. Perhaps one day I will find someone here in Dallas who has a large collection of fast bitey species who can show me how to work with them. Until then, I only keep the species that are not so quick to bite.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Wow, compared to the rest of you my collection is nothing in comparison (three New World terrestials). To be honest though, I do not want a massive consolidate of tarantulas, the only ones I really want are C. cyaneopubescens (got it), H. chilensis, M. balfouri, C. versicolor, Hapalopus sp. Columbia, D. diamantinensis and a Ceratogyrus.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Wow, compared to the rest of you my collection is nothing in comparison (three New World terrestials). To be honest though, I do not want a massive consolidate of tarantulas, the only ones I really want are C. cyaneopubescens (got it), H. chilensis, M. balfouri, C. versicolor, Hapalopus sp. Columbia, D. diamantinensis and a Ceratogyrus.
and Pamphos and Phormics

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I wasn't completely serious in my post. The third tarantula I ever owned was an adult female wild caught Cyriopagopus lividus (as Haplopelma lividum) in 2001 and I had it for years. Back in those days, they sold for $35 USD. I have had tarantulas from every continent and with every disposition. The only exception are the African arboreal species Heteroscodra maculata and Stromatopelma calceatum. Never owned those before. I remember the day I picked up the C. lividus from the FedEx shipping center and brought it home. I thought the internet was full of crap when it was said they are fast and aggressive since it was very calm when unpacking and housing it for the first time. Months later I realized the internet was certainly not full of crap when I needed to rehouse it! The rehousing went fine though. It took some trial and error to learn how to cup a biting tarantula without getting my fingers in the way.

The truth of the matter is that I don't think I ever developed a good technique for capturing fast bitey species from their enclosures and I got tired of dealing with rehousing them. The two species that I have had that were absolute nightmares to rehouse and deal with were Pterinochilus murinus and Cyriopagopus vonwirthi (pet trade Cyriopagopus paganus). Having those species made me give up old world species for good. Perhaps one day I will find someone here in Dallas who has a large collection of fast bitey species who can show me how to work with them. Until then, I only keep the species that are not so quick to bite.
Like I said, funny how it goes. I've currently have 27 OW species (including all the OWs you mentioned,except Cyriopagopus vonwirthi), most were young females when I got them. I housed all of them, rehoused some, never had a threat display, had three minor bolts (1 didn't even leave the enclosure). Lol , maybe I'm the 'OW Whisperer' :smug:;)

edit: I forgot the Phormingochilus carpenteri sling that threat displayed at me, so one threat display.

Last edited:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking

Its super simple, clear the enclosure of all furnishings and then just place a catch cup over the spider, they can spaz out all they want in there.

Tarantulas that stand their ground and strike are way easier to deal with then the ones that just take off and bolt on you.

Last edited:

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Mainly terrestrials and fossorials, I only have one arboreal for now.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
New World Terrestrial:
B. hamorii
B. albiceps
G. porteri
G. pulchra
G. iheringi
G. pulchripes
B. cabocla
S. angustum
P. cf antinous
P. sp. Machala
X. intermedia
P. sp. purple
P. auratus
C. leetzi
A. geniculata
P. sazimai
A. henzi

New World Arboreal
C. versicolor

Old World Arboreal
L. sp. Borneo Black
P. fasciata
H. maculata

Old World Terrestrial
C. fimbriatus
M. balfouri

Old World Fossorial
C. lividus
P. jeremyhuffi
H. gigas

I have a clear preference

MikeyD

Arachnosquire
I'm still firmly within the realm of New World species and don't foresee myself moving to Old World species any time soon. I want to have raised some of my larger and faster species up to adult size so that I can get more experience with all things Tarantula. So far my largest species are Tapinauchenius violaceus and Hommeoma sp blue, both currently around 3" DLS.
My favourites so far have been the terrestrials that tend to be the most visible and the two arboreal species.

New World Terrestrial
Ami sp Colombia
Brachypelma albopilosum -Nicaragua
Brachypelma vagans
Catumiri argentinensis
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
Cyriocosmus bicolor
Cyriocosmus elegans
Cyriocosmus perezmilesi
Cyriocosmus ritae
Euathlus pulckerrimaklaasi
Euathlus sp San Felipe
Holothele sanguiniceps
Hommeoma sp blue
Hommeoma chilensis
Kochiana brunnipes
Neoholothele incei

New World Arboreal
Pseudoclamoris gigas
Tapinauchenius violaceus

boina

Lady of the mites
Ok, I went and counted. Actually I counted three times before I could get the numbers to add up ... :bag:.

The end result:

114 NW and 51 OW

103 terrestrials, 48 arboreals, and a whopping 14 fossorials - I thought I had less of those.

(I counted everyone as fossorial who behaves fossorial with me, e.g. my P. murinus and A. ezendami are fossorials but my H. himalayana isn't.)

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
Am I the only one who have more OW than NW?:)
NW - 9
OW - 16
Mostly arboreal and fossorial.