OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
common and VERY cool!!

Hi Crystal!! Long time no see! :D

diadematus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If it is Araneus cavaticus (and even if one could determine this from photos, I don't think it would be possible from yours), you can call her "Charlotte" (coming soon to a theater near you -- but read the book instead). :)

-Kevin

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If it is Araneus cavaticus (and even if one could determine this from photos, I don't think it would be possible from yours), you can call her "Charlotte" (coming soon to a theater near you -- but read the book instead). :)

-Kevin
The animated circa 1950s movie wasn't bad at all :)

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
common also here in PH, kids often fight them on the stick and place bets on who will win, mostly the winner will spank the loser on the head. :D

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
VERY common here in SW Indiana, and we too call them Barn Spiders.

Picture of one I took in Autumn 2004

I now have a couple hundred of them roaming freely in my computer room at the moment. I brought in one female whom I thought was dead, forgot about her in the critter keeper. Turns out she wasn't dead, but just really cold. She laid an egg sac which I didn't see and it hatched. So now I've got plants all webbed up and every once in a while I'll have a couple drop down from the ceiling on me. :rolleyes:

It's too bad they're so microscopic, I've not had any luck taking a picture of them.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Turns out she wasn't dead, but just really cold.
Haha, I had that happen to me with a Dysdera crocata. She was cocooned in with her eggsack, (this was before I knew much about spiders). So I figured she was dead, and the babies were going to eat her. So I laid her on a piece of paper for close up pictures, and when my nose was about 2" from her, her legs stuck out and almost grabbed me. That gave me a scare!

diadematus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's too bad they're so microscopic, I've not had any luck taking a picture of them.
Oh, but you paint a pretty nice picture in words. :) It again makes me think of Wilbur and Charlotte's offspring -- "Hey, where are you all going?"