1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is this?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by weygtya, Oct 21, 2013.

1. weygtya

weygtya Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    20131021_111033.jpg

My Chilean Rose gets what looks like a thick layer of fuzz on the abdomen. I use a blunt object and rub backwards over it. She doesn’t mind and seems to like it. Any idea what it is? She is around 21 years old and has not shed in a while.
    Thanks,
    D

2. Hobo

Hobo ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Staff Member

Loose urticating bristles.
    You've kept her for all those 21 years?
    That's awesome!

• Like Like x 1
  3. SuzukiSwift

SuzukiSwift Arachnoprince Active Member

I also agree it's loose urticating hairs, but I doubt she likes it

Can you tell us more about the T? 21 years is really impressive! Did you raise her from a sling or get her from someone else?

4. weygtya

weygtya Arachnopeon

I got her from a pet store when I was in my 20's, she was pretty little back then. She only eats crickets from the store or out of the yard. I do not hold her and have never let anyone try because I didn't want her dropped. For the last 5 or so years she goes to the elementary school in October for the kindergarten class.. then to 5th grade for a few months.
    Why do they loose their hairs? Age? Lack of ? Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    D

5. Hobo

Hobo ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Staff Member

They lose those hairs when they flick them, usually in response to a perceived threat. Sometimes they will line their burrows/retreats with them, particularly when it nears molting time. Other times, it could just be from them rubbing or falling against something that dislodges some of the hair, or for seemingly no reason at all.
    I'm surprised you haven't seen this before or even knew about it considering how long you've had her.
    These hairs will return after a molt.