What is this worm-like creature?

Rue

Arachnoknight
I don't think so...but if you could get a really good picture of their heads, it would help.

Dreadz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I believe that I just found out what this creature is:D.... Looks like its a fungus gnat larva. It looks to be an species of Arachnocampa that catch their prey in the sticky substance the crawl around on.

Upjohn252

Arachnopeon
It is an Annelid aka earthworm

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

Earthworms use copious amounts of slime to facilitate movement through the soil. If they were not burrowing some other factor is in play, eg. if the soil substrate is very wet they will have surface so as to breathe...in any case the segmented ringed body indicates definately an annellid

WHOOPS! Didnt notice the tiny heads on whatever thoose things are. I had to save the pic then zoom in to see it soo......I got duped..NOT an Annelid

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I believe that I just found out what this creature is:D.... Looks like its a fungus gnat larva. It looks to be an species of Arachnocampa that catch their prey in the sticky substance the crawl around on.
That matches it, thank you!

Rue

Arachnoknight
No doubt I'm being extra-dense today...but isn't Arachnocampa only found in New Zealand/Australia (and in caves)...and isn't the OP in New York?

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No doubt I'm being extra-dense today...but isn't Arachnocampa only found in New Zealand/Australia (and in caves)...and isn't the OP in New York?
Mine doesn't look exactly the New Zealand species, and instead of hanging the web is under a log. I see normal fungus gnats in plant pots or roach tank, but those larvae are white and almost caterpillar like. These are similar to the bioluminescent ones, but different color. Again, first time I ever saw these, mabye they are invasive or a new species, I have no idea and it seems here people are stumped on an exact species.

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Has anybody asked how long they were?

Is there a chance of getting more photos?

Looks like a worm to me, though the slime and dew and web sure make things interesting!

Rue

Arachnoknight
Mine doesn't look exactly the New Zealand species, and instead of hanging the web is under a log. I see normal fungus gnats in plant pots or roach tank, but those larvae are white and almost caterpillar like. These are similar to the bioluminescent ones, but different color. Again, first time I ever saw these, mabye they are invasive or a new species, I have no idea and it seems here people are stumped on an exact species.
Gotcha!:D

If you could get another photo...a clear one of the head...we could likely narrow it down a bit...

Immature diptera (if that's what it is) are very hard to ID...even by those that do it fairly often...

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Gotcha!:D

If you could get another photo...a clear one of the head...we could likely narrow it down a bit...

Immature diptera (if that's what it is) are very hard to ID...even by those that do it fairly often...
I will try when it's warmer out, we just got a few inches of snow today, too cold to look for more right now. :eek:

Kruggar

Arachnobaron
Has anyone heard the old tune glow worm by the mills brothers? It's one of my favourites, going to play it at my wedding lol.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I tried to get better pictures. It's head is round and yellowish, and appears to have jaws in it.

Rue

Arachnoknight
I still think it's a worm of some sort. I'm looking through some material right now...if I find what I think it might be...I'll let you know.

...okay...I don't think it's a species of Geonemertes...but I'm putting it out there (before I forget what I've looked up).

There are a couple of species of 'round' flatworms...but I can't find any decent photos on-line...

Last edited:

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Are you keeping them?
Would prove us right when they hatch into flies.