What Is The Sexual Dimorphism In C. Crawshayi?

TheHolyToast

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I read on a thread posted in 2006 that when it comes to the C. crawshayi "There is some sexual dimorphism with this species early on."
but it was never explained as to what the difference was.

I'm wondering what would I be looking for in terms of sexual dimorphism?
Here is a pic of my King Baboon 3 days after a molt.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
here is a pic of mine at the same size...so you can compare

moose

TheHolyToast

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thx for the comparison, but I don't really see much a difference in the two, except for maybe the back legs. What sex is yours?

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey toast, your's seems to have less body mass, so I'm willing to bet it's a male.

TheHolyToast

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey toast, your's seems to have less body mass, so I'm willing to bet it's a male.
I know the males in a lot species are usually duller, smaller, and slender compared to the females.
I was just thinking that from what I had read maybe there was more than just those signs with a King Baboon.

The T did loose a lot of fluids in the molt, and the pic was taken only a couple days later, but than again I don't know or ever noticed if a tarantula's legs fill out any when they start eating again. It has molted since the pic, but the T remains hidden in it's burrow. I was able to retrieve the molt, but on accident I destroyed it trying to open it up, and look for spematachea.

If it is a male hopefully some one will need him for there female.

DDaake

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Males are hard to get ahold of. If it is male I'd keep him. Females are more often available. When he matures (in like 50yrs...jk) breed him to a female. D

TheHolyToast

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well the KB molted, and it's a FEMALE YO!!!!!!!!! BOO YAH!
Woo Woo.........Woo Woo............Woo Woo

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I dunno, Xian... I don't think he was quite clear enough about his emotions to make an assumption like that...

lol

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Score one for the pokemon keepers.

I understand the general desire to have only females of a species in a "collection" but, in cases like this, males are just as valuable. I'm glad the OP has a female but, unless things have changed and males are more plentiful now, a male would have been more exciting.

Could you provide a link to that thread?
I'd like to see that thread as well. I guess it's possible but, with a spider like this, I can't imagine much dimorphism before maturity. I never kept many eumenophorines but, in the few species I kept, there never was any dimorphism before maturity.

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just to clear it up. Not that I think it'll work or anything.....

Generally speaking (and I'm only saying generally because I could be wrong...though it's not likely in this case) body mass gives no indication of the gender of tarantulas before maturity.

Mature males tend to be thin and gangly because they have to be for various reasons. Before maturity they live the same lives as females, and run the same risks, therefore they tend to have the same physical make-up.

Kamikaze

@baboonmanila
Old Timer
I think most tarantula species have no sexual dimorphism.
As far as I know, the accurate way to properly sex your T, even as juveniles, would be through epiandrous fusillae sexing. :)
Just my two cents worth.

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think most tarantula species have no sexual dimorphism.
As far as I know, the accurate way to properly sex your T, even as juveniles, would be through epiandrous fusillae sexing. :)
Just my two cents worth.
Of course there is dimorphism. Otherwise how could we tell the difference between males and females? :)

Dimorphism isn't (generally)* apparent until maturity.

*For some reason I think I remember reading something about some species that does show definite differences between male and female before maturity. Can't remember the species though. Could be wrong. It happens pretty often.

And the most accurate way to sex tarantulas is by examining the molt...looking for spermathecae. Some people are very good at recognizing epiandrous fusillae but it takes a lot of practice. Spermathecae are much easier to see...once you have an exuvium in hand.

Kamikaze

@baboonmanila
Old Timer
Of course there is dimorphism. Otherwise how could we tell the difference between males and females? :)

Dimorphism isn't (generally)* apparent until maturity.

*For some reason I think I remember reading something about some species that does show definite differences between male and female before maturity. Can't remember the species though. Could be wrong. It happens pretty often.

And the most accurate way to sex tarantulas is by examining the molt...looking for spermathecae. Some people are very good at recognizing epiandrous fusillae but it takes a lot of practice. Spermathecae are much easier to see...once you have an exuvium in hand.
haha... my bad.... yeah thats what i meant.. when they're adults there is, when theyre juveniles, its almost impossible to tell. Sorry for not posting a more specific answer hahahahaha Have a good weekend everyone!

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
*For some reason I think I remember reading something about some species that does show definite differences between male and female before maturity.
For example, Lampropelma nigerrimum - click here and here!
Supposedly, some Poecilotheria spp. can also be sexed early from the folium, at least that's what has been let on...

Kamikaze

@baboonmanila
Old Timer
Though, I have observed some young Pamphobeteus sp. Platyomma having bright colors on their femur.. could this be a sexual dimorphism?
Those specimens that i have observed, later on, turned out to be males. Most likely, it could be just a coincidence though.

Any post confirming or debunking this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!