What is the secret to getting a female tarantula???

Brittany2222

Arachnopeon
Is there a secret to this? I currently have three and they have all come out male. Is it necessary to buy a sexed female? I have been getting slings and it is driving me crazy that they all come out male.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
It's chance and luck for the most part for females and species somewhat as well. If you're buying the T. (larger specimens) in person from a local pet shop or vendor then try to ask nicely for a chance to ventral sex it if your skills with that are good enough. Sometimes it seems like some species tend to have males more often than females, like my luck with Poecilotheria is quite bad with females. But honestly, it's all luck and chance on getting females. I don't see any issue with males because almost any male will sell instantly if mature and especially if the species are in demand. Males are a great staple for breeders and great opportunities to get more offspring into the hobby and a great chance for a loan if you want some slings back in return.

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
Just buy a whole egg sac and you SHOULD be good.

I usually try to buy a few of a species I want and that way my chances are better but I know people that have bought 4 of the same species as slings and they were all male. It’s always a chance. Some people also say females are more stout, which as adults that’s true but a fat sling doesn’t always mean a female.

Sooner or later you will get a female but if you really can’t stand it then buy a sexed female.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
If it is a species that I really, really, want, and someone has a sexed female, then I buy her. Very often you aren't paying that much more for a sexed female as you would four spiderlings, so it is worth the investment. Especially if they are the slower growing species. The problem is availability of sexed females.
If it is a species that I really, really, want, and nobody has a sexed female, I will buy four spiderlings.
If it is a species that is not such a big deal to me, they are a fast growing species, or I see sexed females frequently for sale, then I would buy two spiderlings. That way, it isn't such a big deal to try again in a year if both of those turn out male... or decide just to wait until another female comes along.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Dumb, stinking luck.

I usually buy 2 slings these days and hope that one of them is female. If not, I may look to stop playing the sling lottery on that species and buy a juvenile female, if it's available.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Tbh, I usually just buy one sling of a species at a time and I have had reasonably good luck getting females on the first attempt but if it turns out male and I enjoyed keeping the species then I'll either get a juvenile female or a couple of slings to replace him.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Yep, if you truly want a female, gotta get of the old wallet and buy one. That one has always worked for me.

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
Get slings, people tend to be very unpatient and easily dissapointed, but I think sling game is one of great things about this hobby. There is no way to lose:
- if I end with all males, I get familliar with species and males are worth more than slings so I can sell them or trade them for slings
- if I get one female I am content
- as well as there is chance of getting no female, there is chance of getting several females, and that is jackpot :)

Vulksgren

Arachnopeon
Personally I don't mind getting a male, could just find him a girl and get some of his kids for another chance. Least that's the way I see it, but a female is usually preferred. Got a long way for that though considering I have mostly slings, female Albo, and one male Grammostola pulchra who isn't even near maturing. From what I hear males for G. Pulchra are in big demand right now.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
The more tarantulas you own, the greater likelihood that a high percentage will be female. You just gotta expand your collection! :D

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
You just gotta buy more slings, that's all there is to it :D. Why do you think this hobby is so addictive? Your gambling for a female (or a male, depending on your wants/needs) every time you buy a sling!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Definitely no secret to it lol. You win some and you lose some. A roll of the dice.

But like the others mentioned, getting males shouldn't be seen as such a terrible thing. Besides their shorter lifespans (which some people may even see as a positive thing), they're just as good as females, and when they mature they provide the opportunity to get your money back in selling him, or further your collection with a trade or breeding loan.

They also offer a great way to make lasting connections in the hobby - sending out my first mature male made me a good friend who I can always check in and see if he or anyone he knows needs a male when I have one hook out.

Males make this hobby go round ;)

cold blood

Staff member
Is there a secret to this? I currently have three and they have all come out male. Is it necessary to buy a sexed female? I have been getting slings and it is driving me crazy that they all come out male.
If you are buying slings, there is a "secret" to it, although I am not sure its a secret...here it is....

Never, and I cant stress this enough, NEVER buy just one sling at a time...buy multiples of each species you like, try for 3 at a minimum. Really take advantage of low sling prices.

There is no more inefficient, expensive and time consuming way to build a collection than buying one sling per species at a time.

Buy multiples and not only do you up the odds of getting a female dramatically, but by selling or trading the others, you get the female for free, as well as expand the collection, again, for free...or just for that initial cost of the slings. Do this and building a collection can be comparatively quick, and basically pay for its self.

You can work for your collection, or you can buy smarter and let our collection work for its self.:)

Minty

@londontarantulas
If you are buying slings, there is a "secret" to it, although I am not sure its a secret...here it is....

Never, and I cant stress this enough, NEVER buy just one sling at a time...buy multiples of each species you like, try for 3 at a minimum. Really take advantage of low sling prices.

There is no more inefficient, expensive and time consuming way to build a collection than buying one sling per species at a time.

Buy multiples and not only do you up the odds of getting a female dramatically, but by selling or trading the others, you get the female for free, as well as expand the collection, again, for free...or just for that initial cost of the slings. Do this and building a collection can be comparatively quick, and basically pay for its self.

You can work for your collection, or you can buy smarter and let our collection work for its self.:)
Do this. Multiple slings at a time. You can always sell on the extras as they grow too.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Make sure the female stands upside down after mating I’ve heard that gives you more chance of females

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I always look for females for sale first, if I can't find any (usually only the case with the rarer species) I buy a minimum of 3 slings and cross my fingers. That's the "secret".

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer

THIS! I really honestly don't understand how people can buy one of everything and then be disappointed that their one and only is male. I buy at least 3 of every species I want, if cost is low, then 5. It's awesome when at least 2 or 3 are female...although on occasion I have had all 3 be male...only once though (GBB).

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
THIS! I really honestly don't understand how people can buy one of everything and then be disappointed that their one and only is male.
Say you live in a small apartment and realistically, you can only make room for 10-12 adult tarantulas. In that situation, I can see only buying one of a species because you want some variety.