What is the Rarest/Most Valuable Scorpion Species Available?

Kaiser Scorpion

Arachnosquire
Thank you!

No, on the right there is a female of P. cavimanus from Tanzania.
Infact this species is absolutely smaller than P. dicator.

Kaiser Scorpion

Arachnosquire
P. dictator is 155 mm long.
The female of P. cavimanus is 95 mm.
I have some species of genus Pandinus in my private collection and this P. dictator is the biggest.

snippy

Arachnobaron
Please, don't write genus and species with the only first letter. It is wrong to write the species with the only first letter and also it is difficult to understand.
Exactly what I was thinking!

I did not know what A.p. meant? Use the species' epitheton and everybody will understand ;) It's not like it takes too much time..

Regards
Finn

freeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A.austalis hector morph is pretty rare. I've kept 15 of them few years back. Also i think C.bicolor is quite rare.

Sarcastro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
C infamatus are extremely rare only a a handful of people in Europe have them.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well, actually it is more common than a handfull of people in the EU hobby circuit, not something special or anything......at least not in northwest Europe

Sarcastro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well, actually it is more common than a handfull of people in the EU hobby circuit, not something special or anything......at least not in northwest Europe
I have seen a lot of people in EU with a few species that were labeled as C.infamatus that were in fact another Centruroides. The last time I checked, no one in EU had them outside of Germany,Belgium, and The Netherlands..And Krist Langenberg was the only one that had them in Sweden. I could be wrong they may have spread since last Jan. but they are an awesome species I know I would love too have them here in the states. The young look like little bumble bees.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, Northwest europe thus.......A couple of years back we got 'overrun' by 5-6 Centruroides species with three stripes on their dorsum, meaning that they where very similar in appearance. I never saw any misidentified specimens in The Netherlands or Germany, but I don't know for other countries......You should be able to get some of these specimens......

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
What would be the rarest and hard to find scorpion :scorpion: species today, since this post stopped almost 9 years ago. I'm sure things have changed since... :)

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
Probably this species:

Apistobuthus pterygocercus (Shield tailed scorpion or Giant Death Stalker). Highly venomous and very rare to find even in the wild.

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Probably this species:

Apistobuthus pterygocercus (Shield tailed scorpion or Giant Death Stalker). Highly venomous and very rare to find even in the wild.
Just looked it up and that is one cool looking scorpion ! Literally a "Giant" Death Stalker... it's massive looking :astonished:

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
The giant Death Stalker's scientific name means "Incredible Buthid with Winged Tail"! It's a beautiful but very dangerous-looking scorpion species for sure! I remember other keepers on here having this species in their collections and saying how fast, deadly and nimble their scorpions were!

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
If you are outside of Australia, anything Australian...

In the US, H. swammerdami continues to be highly sought after. Any Babycurus sp. (is this genus name still valid as it pertains to gigas and jacksoni? Thought it got changed but can find no info online after a quick search) are also hard to come by. I am not likely the best person to be answering this question however, as my experience with the scorpion side of the hobby remains limited at this time.

Rarest is tough to quantify any which way though. @ArachnoDrew, @woodie, @ButhidaeBomb, @Scorpionluva, @Jason Brantley, @brandontmyers, @sloth, any ideas?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

woodie

Arachnosquire
Yeah Australian species in almost any herp or invert hobby. One on many keepers wish list is Apistobuthus pterygocerus

Ian14

Arachnobaron
I suspect that the old hobby standard, P imperator, is pretty rare now with wild exports banned due to a zero quota through CITES. What used to be easily picked up as wc adults for £10 to £20 in just about any shop selling exotics, is now a hard to find species with CB specimens fetching £100 at least.