what is the most venomous spider??

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
it is most definitely the "Sydney Funnel Web" spider. real nasty venom. most venomous that is if you are talking in relation to humans.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
it is most definitely the "Sydney Funnel Web" spider. real nasty venom. most venomous that is if you are talking in relation to humans.
Hm, I wouldn't exactly doubt that, but do you have evidence or info behind this?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
Hm, I wouldn't doubt that, but do you have evidence or info behind this?
well, not much besides all the animal-planet specials and websites (i know, i know) i've run across. hold on...

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thank you.:)

THat is crazy,
First, the venom affects man and monkeys far more than other creatures. Man and monkeys lack a naturally occurring inhibitor of the venom that is present in many nonprimate vertebrates
good thing only the males are deadly..
Second, only the bite from the male appears to be dangerous, which is a reversal of the situation with other highly poisonous spiders. Venom toxicity is consistently several times higher in the male than in the female (although females secrete several times more toxin). The male behavior pattern of permanently leaving the burrow to seek a mate leads it to enter houses and find its way into clothing and bedding.
quoted from the first link: http://www.emedicine.com/EMERG/topic548.htm

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
And I believe you, what course are you taking. A little off topic I know.
ah, just any animal classes i can take, ya know. just got done doing a field study. i also have books i read and am constantly doing research on any and all spiders:D i keep and take care of any true spiders i find. especially ones from other states i go to.

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi,

i´m pretty tired about this, so just a quick one:

Potentially lethal spiders are included in the genera (no ranking):

1.) Atrax / Hadronyche
2.) Latrodectus
3.) Loxosceles
4.) Phoneutria
5.) Sicarius

Within the funnelwebs it´s NOT A. robustus with the most active toxin but one of the Hadronyche ssp.´s.

Within Phoneutria it´s P. nigriventer with the most active toxin.

By mere bite statistics, accidents with Latrodectus and Loxosceles are much more likely to happen than with any of the both first mentioned genera.

Due to the fact that there´s antivenom available to my very personal opinion most dangerous spiders are African Sicarius species.

With other genera like Lampona or Trechona and so on former reports about significant toxicity are doubtful to say the least.

It has to be stressed that even bites of one of the most toxic species that don´t get treated with antivenom usually don´t result in death in healthy adults.

Have a nice sunday.

Greetings,

Stefan

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I encourage you to find out where you saw this. I must see it!:eek:
it was on animal planet sometime ago,it was called "venomous stinging bugs" or something like that,they will proberly air it again sometime.

TNeal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The true Daddy Longlegs are not spiders as they do not have a segmented body. The other ones knows as Daddy Longlegs do have a segmented body and build a web. The true Daddy Longlegs does not build a web. I find the false Daddy Longlegs all of the time in my house in their webs.

Tom

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The true Daddy Longlegs are not spiders as they do not have a segmented body. The other ones knows as Daddy Longlegs do have a segmented body and build a web. The true Daddy Longlegs does not build a web. I find the false Daddy Longlegs all of the time in my house in their webs.

Tom
Your referring to the harvestman as the true daddy long leg right? I consider the other one the true daddy long leg, but to each their own.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Your referring to the harvestman as the true daddy long leg right? I consider the other one the true daddy long leg, but to each their own.
Of course, this is the problem with common names. Where I'm from, we always called the harvestmen version "Granddaddy Longlegs" and the spider (Pholcus) "Daddy Longlegs Spider".

Widowman10, I guess you do know that Atrax and other Mygal funnels are not trues. Although, they do always seemed to grouped with the trues instead of with tarantulas on these boards for discussion.

JesseD

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That last post was a good one. As far as I`ve found out if you use the term "deadliest" it would refer to which spider kills the most amount of people. Then there is "potency" which refers to how powerful the venom is. Yes I've heard that male A. robustus is the deadly of the two sexes and they are probably deadlier than Phoneutria spp. because they've been said to inject venom each time they bite. Phoneutria spp. although said to have the most potent venom does not inject venom with every bite making it less deadly. So you decide which is your favourite...???

Heather

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The most venomous one is the one that kills you.
IMHO I agree with this statement... each person is different and hence, their bodies react differently to the venom. That which may cause an anaphalactic reaction (sp?) may be the death of that person if not treated within the appropriate time frame.

So I would say that the most venemous has to do with who is being bitten... just my $0.02.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

Tom
ROTFLOL at the term TRUE refering to a common name ROTFLOL

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
ROTFLOL at the term TRUE refering to a common name ROTFLOL
I said that as well, but I wasn't referring it to actually being a daddy long leg. I was referring it to the one people know more commonly. You know what I mean? Maybe I should have put best-known or something like that in "trues" place.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I said that as well, but I wasn't referring it to actually being a daddy long leg. I was referring it to the one people know more commonly. You know what I mean? Maybe I should have put best-known or something like that in "trues" place.
Well you could say you were still more accurate, as you were referring to a "true" spider rather than an Opiliones!