what is the most venomous spider??

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I disagree too.

Phoneutria spp. and Atrax robustus are in the top of the list.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
to be honest doesnt the dady long legs belong to the tick family or mite family cuz of only one body part. I had done some reading and from my understanding they are bottom feeders and more less do the removing of old freshly dead carcasses. But correct me if im wrong.
yeah there is what most people here call daddy long legs and its a harvestman and not a spider at all but there also is a type of spoder called a daddy longlegs too but its not dangerous and the venom isnt particularly harmfull and it CAN bite you lol but to no harm

worm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is that the rating order?? Cause I would definately have to disagree.
no sir i was just putting them up there maybe i should of used bullets or dots insted...lol

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
no sir i was just putting them up there maybe i should of used bullets or dots insted...lol
Yeah lol, but your definately missing more venomous spiders then the ones listed.

We need Stefan2209 to come into this thread and tell us what he knows.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah lol, but your definately missing more venomous spiders then the ones listed.

We need Stefan2209 to come into this thread and tell us what he knows.
yeah no kidding i think a black widow is less dangerous than a subspinipes pede .

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
most venomous

I think Ive read that the Phoneutria species especially nigriventer are the worst. Im not sure how it ranks, but I think I read they are considered to be one of the most venomous. Maybe stefan knows how they rank, I know from reading his post about the species he warned they were considered dangerous by some.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Man I'm really involved with this thread.. lol

I think Ive read that the Phoneutria species especially nigriventer are the worst. Im not sure how it ranks, but I think I read they are considered to be one of the most venomous. Maybe stefan knows how they rank, I know from reading his post about the species he warned they were considered dangerous by some.
I basically said that. :rolleyes:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=899142&postcount=18

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
daddy longlegs

BTW, Ive heard the longlegs myth too, used to live in kansas before moving to NY, and LOTS of people were more afraid of daddy longlegs in the basement than even black widows, LOL. I knew it wasnt true, I would let em crawl over me and freak people out. We also had lots of black widows around in my yard then, when I was growing up. Never really bothered me to be around them.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ya I miss black widows. I lived in AZ growing up and used to catch them all the time, put them in jars and feed them anything that came into my room. My parents thought I had some harmless spider in a jar {D
But now being in Oregon I cant find them anywhere, I might have to resort to buying a few soon. Or at least a male for the one female I have.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
there is also the "white tailed spider" from austrailia,unless someone mentioned it already,not sure on the scientific name(have to look it up) i saw a segment on these and they are are extremely venomous,but it's the after effects thats really bad,they showed people that were bitten not pretty,very bad,the venom just "eats" away at your flesh,and it gets worse.and spider is very small.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
there is also the "white tailed spider" from austrailia,unless someone mentioned it already,not sure on the scientific name(have to look it up) i saw a segment on these and they are are extremely venomous,but it's the after effects thats really bad,they showed people that were bitten not pretty,very bad,the venom just "eats" away at your flesh,and it gets worse.and spider is very small.
So it's like L.reclusa venom. Necrosis right?

Ph4nToM

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
According to the Guinness Book of World Records year 2000 edition, the Brazilian huntsman (Phoneutria fera) is the most venomous spider. Heres an exact quote from the book about the spider:

MOST VENOMOUS SPIDER

The Brazilian huntsman (Phoneutria fera) has the most active neurotoxic venom of any spider. Large and aggressive, huntsman hide in clothing or shoes and bite furiously several times if disturbed. Hundreds of accidents involving the Brazilian huntsman are reported annually, but an antivenin is now available. Most of the deaths that do occur are of children under the age of 7.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
According to the Guinness Book of World Records year 2000 edition, the Brazilian huntsman (Phoneutria fera) is the most venomous spider. Heres an exact quote from the book about the spider:
Yeah I saw that as well,that's outdated though, but I have ventured and read through several sites saying that Phoneutria spp. are the most venomous(like I said earlier).

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So it's like L.reclusa venom. Necrosis right?
yeah kinda but way worse, they showed this lady that got bit,and it was the worst case ive ever seen, the skin peels off,and it doesn't get better,it just gets worse and the lady could'nt even walk outside anymore the pain,huge pus sores,etc. i'm not sure of a cure though. but being they are very common over there i'm sure they have something for it.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
yeah kinda but way worse, they showed this lady that got bit,and it was the worst case ive ever seen, the skin peels off,and it doesn't get better,it just gets worse and the lady could'nt even walk outside anymore the pain,huge pus sores,etc. i'm not sure of a cure though. but being they are very common over there i'm sure they have something for it.
I encourage you to find out where you saw this. I must see it!:eek:

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i wonder if any hobbiests have ever been bit by a Phoneutria.what would u even do lol.im sure most hospitals dont carry there antivenom.seeking medical attention would be without a question tho

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There is probably a rare amount of people that keep Phoneutria spp. in the states, if any at all. I know for sure though that there are way more people across the pond that keep them, so they might have a better chance for antivenom? I could be totally wrong on this.:eek:

EK2

Arachnopeon
I encourage you to find out where you saw this. I must see it!:eek:
The White Tail, Lampona cylindrata and Murina are associated with very harmful bites, necrosis type reaction. However this appears to be either exaggerated, or unfounded altogether.

http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/179_04_180803/isb10785_fm.html

http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/179_04_180803/whi10399_fm-2.html

"Most venomous" at this point in time would seem to be the Wanderer Phoneutria. Those with a better handle on toxicity could clarify things, but so much is dependent on very limited practical studies, and the recorded cases. It is hard to be definitive. It is known through venom studies that the Hadronyche Formidabilis male is thought to be somewhere between 5 to 7 times more toxic than the Atrax Robustus. The H.Ceberea is also thought to be much more toxic, somewhere in the order of the H.Formidabilis. The tree dwelling Had's (Northern and Southern Tree), could well be more venomous than Phoneutria, but not enough cases of human bites have occured to be definitive.

http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/182_08_180405/isb10564_fm.html

Last edited:

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah and what do you mean by most venomous ? Literally id say most venomous would be one that had the most venom by volume. But that wold not nessarily be the most dangerous. IE spider A has a very very lethal venom but not much of it per bite. Spider B has weaker venom but large volumes of it per bite. so spider B is the most venomous but Spider A wold be more dangerous to you .... or even one wiht stronger venom per mL would be less dangerous because the amount of venom is so small that its rendered harmless to humans. But the one wiht the weak venom puts so much in you its bad.