What is the most unusual insect you have?

Czech prime

Arachnoknight
One of my Unidentified sp. ABC Nui Chua had a really bad molt so sadly that's probably the weirdest looking thing i have :(

Otherwise i'd have to say Heteropteryx dilatata's are quite unusual

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Neobarrettia spinosa, the Greater Arid Land Katydid. In north america, found in texas, new mexico, and arizona. most abundant in Mesquite bosque habitat and oak woodland.

The Lesser arid land katydid- Neobarrettia victoriae is found in texas, oklahoma, and kansas in similar habitat

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
Neobarrettia spinosa, the Greater Arid Land Katydid. In north america, found in texas, new mexico, and arizona. most abundant in Mesquite bosque habitat and oak woodland.

The Lesser arid land katydid- Neobarrettia victoriae is found in texas, oklahoma, and kansas in similar habitat
That beautiful thing makes me want to get into katydids more than I already did

CyrusP

Arachnopeon
I'm a newbie so the coolest thing I have would be my 5" Narceus Americanus (milipede). I went hiking with the dog in the hills and found some logs which I turned over and saw 3 of them lying there. I quickly snatched them up with some leaves and a piece of bark that was near them. When I got home, after placing them into their new home with the piece of bark, I noticed there were 3 baby milipedes and a bunch of eggs attached to it!. Still waiting for them to hatch. :D

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
I'm a newbie so the coolest thing I have would be my 5" Narceus Americanus (milipede). I went hiking with the dog in the hills and found some logs which I turned over and saw 3 of them lying there. I quickly snatched them up with some leaves and a piece of bark that was near them. When I got home, after placing them into their new home with the piece of bark, I noticed there were 3 baby milipedes and a bunch of eggs attached to it!. Still waiting for them to hatch. :D
Whoa, you found a 5 inch N. americanus? The largest I've seen was 4 inches, and that was a pet.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Mine are my Psytalla Horrida aka giant spiny assassin bugs. Here's my adult.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Ah, I want one of these really bad. I wish their bite wasn't so scary.
Why are you worried about their bite, you're not sharing a bed with them? Plus they're hardly bullet ants, scolopendra or an OW T.

If you like them get some. Absolutely nothing to worry about.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
you're not sharing a bed with them?
Yes I am! :p
For real, though, I'm just worried that it'll escape while I'm feeding it eventually and then bite me. Plus, there's not much info on how bad their bite is in comparison to other assassins, so I don't want to take that risk. I'm a bit paranoid, that's all.
Plus, the worst sting or bite I've ever experienced was a bee sting, lol. I have a Jerusalem Cricket and that's the most dangerous thing I own. So I'm a bit of a safety stickler.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Yes I am! :p
For real, though, I'm just worried that it'll escape while I'm feeding it eventually and then bite me. Plus, there's not much info on how bad their bite is in comparison to other assassins, so I don't want to take that risk. I'm a bit paranoid, that's all.
Plus, the worst sting or bite I've ever experienced was a bee sting, lol. I have a Jerusalem Cricket and that's the most dangerous thing I own. So I'm a bit of a safety stickler.
CALM DOWN. There extremely easy to deal with. They're not like spiders. They're SLOW in comparison.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Assassins aren't very aggressive. Maybe i'm just being stupid, but I feel quite comfortable putting my hands near my P. biguttatus and have handled large nymphs and teneral adults.

Smokehound714's katydid looks more like Neobarretia victoriae than N. spinosa. Victoriae has paler, pinker eyes compared to spinosa's red eyes.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Yeah, I've heard that it's mainly wheel bugs who are aggressive. I think it varies by the individual, like tarantula temperament.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
@Cheshire and I used to keep Polistes species wasps, they can actually be quite engaging. Both he and I have also written articles on their care but they are likely buried in the archives.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
I've also kept Polistes, and made a number of failed attempts to raise Dolichovespula queens.

The most unusual insects i've kept in the past would probably be the two times I kept mantisflies. (Specifically a brown species that resembles a Polistes wasp, though they vary wildly in size depending on the spider eggsac they parasitized and neither of mine were large enough to pull the disguise off.) They don't live very long but they're fascinating while they last and quite similar to a tiny mantis. They aren't particularly skittish and don't fly readily either, so they can even be handled like a mantis. My favorite feature is the way they constantly wave their antennae up and down in a scissor motion.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Assassins aren't very aggressive. Maybe i'm just being stupid, but I feel quite comfortable putting my hands near my P. biguttatus and have handled large nymphs and teneral adults.

Smokehound714's katydid looks more like Neobarretia victoriae than N. spinosa. Victoriae has paler, pinker eyes compared to spinosa's red eyes.
Definitely not victoriae. Both can have red eyes. Note the front of the pronotum, how it has a black edge- this is the key difference. Victoriae lacks this dark edge entirely.