1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the most unusual insect you have?

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by Bunyan van Asten, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Bunyan van Asten

Bunyan van Asten Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    I was wondering what the most unusual insect is that you have, I'm talking things rarer kept than leeches and such.

2. Aquarimax

Aquarimax Arachnobaron Active Member

Utah
    Do you only want to hear about true insects, or are arachnids,myriapods, etc. included as well?

3. Bunyan van Asten

Any invert actually, but it's usually that insects themselves container the biggest variety.

4. EulersK

EulersK Arachnoengineer Arachnosupporter

I often have Solifugae species, but man are they hard to keep alive for some reason. I find them in the yard often, and I've been refining my care as time goes on. I currently have one that's pushing 6 months in my care, which is the longest I've kept one alive.

• Like Like x 2
  5. GingerC

GingerC Arachnopeon Active Member

I was wondering if anyone kept those! They're neat little guys, that's for sure.

The most unusual thing I keep is a ladybug larva. :( The only reason that's unusual compared to my other inverts is that I can't even find a caresheet mentioning any feeders for them besides aphids and sugar water. There are no aphids my yard and yet there are ladybugs, so there's something they're eating and I will find it. I've been adding plants, sticks, and dirt at random in the hopes of finding mites. :/

6. EulersK

Have you tried springtails? My only worry is that ladybugs aren't exactly fast, and springtails would likely get away.

7. GingerC

GingerC Arachnopeon Active Member

I was thinking I'd try some next time I went to the pet store and see if the larva will eat them. In the meantime, it's sustaining itself on mites and honey, and if it doesn't work out at least I can let it go. :)

8. Bunyan van Asten

You have those things Where you live do much that you can just take them from your yard?!

9. EulersK

The desert is a beautiful place :)

10. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoprince Active Member

I am SO jealous right now...
    The Netherlands don't have much to offer in terms of crazy insects/inverts due to being rather cold and rainy and densely populated. You'd have to look really hard for an insect that is larger than my thumb...:(