What is the most Rare Tarantula in Captivity or available in the Hobby??

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i consider them rare because a fully mature B.smithi arent cheap, take a long time to grow from 30$ 1/4 slings, well legally. plus they are not easy to aquire in my area from a LPS. my selection is limited LPS and expos, i wont buy online.

i think OP should of asked instead what species are hard to acquire.
for example P.metallica though not rare, it is not easy spider to come buy, due to price and availability but its not impossible to get one its just may take a little effort compared to other species.
ther are alot of species that are hard to acquire even the most common one's at times... but it doesnt mean they are rare.... What im asking what is rare and available.... you dig???

super-pede

Arachnobaron
I don't know about T's but I have a Scolopendra viridicornis & a Scolopendra galapagensi.Those are both tough to get as far as pedes go.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Poecilotheria metallica is not really rare.
P. metallica is just trendy imo just like Theraphosa blondi was 10 years ago.
Poecilotheria metallica is listed as critically endangered. It's numbers are on the decline. Hence the insanely high prices they sell for.

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Poecilotheria metallica is listed as critically endangered. It's numbers are on the decline. Hence the insanely high prices they sell for.
True, however there are TONS of breeding projects going on for these currently and the prices will decrease substantially. Their rarity pales in comparison to something like P.hanumavilasumica or P. smithi. There are many Poecilotheria that are considered critically endangered. P. metallica just seemingly has more demand because of their colourful flare, not their 'rarity'. They aren't rare, they are just expensive. If I wanted to find a P.hanumavilasumica it would be very difficult. Where as there are quite a number of confirmed P. metallicas for sale, if you're willing to pony up the bucks.

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The high price is an artifact of the demand from the hobby. Not its numbers in the wild. In this case, they are captive bred not wild caught and people desire them. If they were a crap brown color and in a different genus, the price would not be anywhere near what they are.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
True, however there are TONS of breeding projects going on for these currently and the prices will decrease substantially. Their rarity pales in comparison to something like P.hanumavilasumica or P. smithi. There are many Poecilotheria that are considered critically endangered. P. metallica just seemingly has more demand because of their colourful flare, not their 'rarity'. They aren't rare, they are just expensive. If I wanted to find a P.hanumavilasumica it would be very difficult. Where as there are quite a number of confirmed P. metallicas for sale, if you're willing to pony up the bucks.
Ah very true...hence why P. ornata sells for significantly less than metallica.

I've been saying hence alot...sorry if it irks anybody.

miarachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The high price is an artifact of the demand from the hobby. Not its numbers in the wild. In this case, they are captive bred not wild caught and people desire them. If they were a crap brown color and in a different genus, the price would not be anywhere near what they are.
Agreed. I have bred Vitalius vellutinus. They have never been in this country before. That I know of. They are a crap brown, kinda looks like a A. seemanni color wise. i think they look sweet.
It seems I was the only one exctied about a new sp. available in the U.S. hobby. Lol. But if they were blue or green.....................lol.
Price is based on supply and demand

PhilR

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Available in the hobby in the USA/Canada is not the same as available in the hobby in Europe or Worldwide. I've seen some names listed in this thread that are either freely available in Europe, or less than freely available but nonetheless are around if you are prepared or able to pay the money being asked for them :)

Personally I will never have P. hanumavilasumica in my collection, but that is a decision I have made based on my own overview of the situation mainly concerning the species status and their initial introduction to the hobby, and my support of the stance taken by the BTS, rather than the actual availability of the spider itself.

It helps that I also prefer small brown African spiders to flashy ones (although saying that, I do own an M. balfouri female) :D

In captivity - also different. There are species in captivity no doubt (research specimens and the like) that are not in the hobby.

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ah very true...hence why P. ornata sells for significantly less than metallica.

I've been saying hence alot...sorry if it irks anybody.
Hence and irk are both apropos, rare, and highly sought after.

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Personally I will never have P. hanumavilasumica in my collection, but that is a decision I have made based on my own overview of the situation mainly concerning the species status and their initial introduction to the hobby, and my support of the stance taken by the BTS, rather than the actual availability of the spider itself.
I think it should be celebrated that there are CB slings of this highly threatened species. I'd be curious to hear how you feel about P. metallica as they too are critically threatened, but everyone and their brother have them. How about species listed on CITES, as in all Brachypelma, do you boycott those too.

Without human intervention there will be species loss. PERIOD. Geesh

Edd Eskimo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The reason for Sp. lost is mainly because of humans from the start thou..If humans weren't around, I highly believe the planet would thrive and many of the great creatures we lost due to humans would still remain..

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The reason for Sp. lost is mainly because of humans from the start thou..If humans weren't around, I highly believe the planet would thrive and many of the great creatures we lost due to humans would still remain..
right and as such we have a responsibility to make things right, regardless of how bastardized it is from their natural existance. We aren't the one leveling the plantations where these pokies are from, we are the ones who care for them, and likely is their only salvation from extinction. If that means that the species only exists in captivity I'm ok with that, as long as we have done everything in our power not to directly interfere with their natural existence. Should they be protected and their conservation enforced, absolutely. Is there someone to do this for private holdings, as these plantations are, unfortunately no. The people destroying the habitat do not see these and other threatened species as we do. They are just a casualty, nothing different than a couple dead animals. They see it as their opportunity to cultivate, etc... It sucks but it's the truth.

And I digress.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just to get a point across, if a species is extinct in the wild but still living in private collections, it's still extinct. There is no "salvation" in that. It's narrow-minded and ridiculous to think that buying slings from smuggled animals that were taken from an already diminishing natural population is not directly interfering "with their natural existense". There is a reason that the BTS is whole-heartedly against the public sale of that species.

And to be ok with a species that only exists is captivity is just wholesale stupidity, and displays an ignorant view of natural ecosystems and evolution.

Just, for your information, the BTS has been trying to raise money to help save this species of tarantula. Indian authorities have refused to accept it because they view the exotic pet trade (and those that participate in it) as nothing but greedy, ignorant, and exploitative people that have done nothing but rape their diminishing and extremely threatened populations of animals.

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just to get a point across, if a species is extinct in the wild but still living in private collections, it's still extinct. There is no "salvation" in that. It's narrow-minded and ridiculous to think that buying slings from smuggled animals that were taken from an already diminishing natural population is not directly interfering "with their natural existense". There is a reason that the BTS is whole-heartedly against the public sale of that species.

And to be ok with a species that only exists is captivity is just wholesale stupidity, and displays an ignorant view of natural ecosystems and evolution.

Just, for your information, the BTS has been trying to raise money to help save this species of tarantula. Indian authorities have refused to accept it because they view the exotic pet trade (and those that participate in it) as nothing but greedy, ignorant, and exploitative people that have done nothing but rape their diminishing and extremely threatened populations of animals.
Really its ok for you to feel this way and to be so one sided is completely ignorant. Funny how you'd rather a species to completely not exist than to have a captive bred population still kicking around. You condemn that which you practice. If you think you are above all scruitiny look at your own collection and I'm sure you have some items which are 'questionable', we all do. Many pokies are 'threatened', Brachypelma are on CITES, etc....

Do yourself a favour and quit being a close minded self-righteous <edit>. You remind me of the bible thumpers who say, 'if god says wants it to be true so it will be'. If people who care, beyond the monetary side of the trade, as I do, to stand up and maintain a species then great. I could care less about having a T as a status symbol. I don't know any people that would actually think a smuggled/illegal/threatened species was cool. As for buying these 'smuggled' animals how are they smuggled if there is no enforcement. So what you suggest is that we just keep doing nothing and lose both species in the wild and captivity rather than keep one going for research purposes if nothing else. Way to go bucko...

Last edited by a moderator:

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Right from http://www.iucnredlist.org/

Poecilotheria formosa (Finely Formed Parachute Spider)
Pop. trend: decreasing

Poecilotheria hanumavilasumica (Rameshwaram Parachute Spider)
Status: Critically Endangered B1ab(ii,iii,iv,v)+2ab(ii,iii,iv,v) ver 3.1

Poecilotheria metallica (Peacock Parachute Spider)

Poecilotheria miranda (Wonderful Parachute Spider)

Poecilotheria nallamalaiensis (Nallamala’s Parachute Spider)
Pop. trend: unknown

Poecilotheria regalis (Regal Parachute Spider)

Poecilotheria rufilata (Reddish Parachute Spider)

Poecilotheria striata (Striated Parachute Spider)

Poecilotheria tigrinawesseli (Anantagiri’s Parachute Spider)
Pop. trend: unknown

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know I'm obsessed with this species but I'm going to say it anyway:

Lasiodorides striatus

I don't know how rare it is in people's collections, but you sure can't get your hands on one for sale in the US and I've never seen one captive bred. If I'm wrong, somebody point me to the seller.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Really its ok for you to feel this way and to be so one sided is completely ignorant. Funny how you'd rather a species to completely not exist than to have a captive bred population still kicking around. You condemn that which you practice. If you think you are above all scruitiny look at your own collection and I'm sure you have some items which are 'questionable', we all do. Many pokies are 'threatened', Brachypelma are on CITES, etc....

Do yourself a favour and quit being a close minded self-righteous <edit>. You remind me of the bible thumpers who say, 'if god says wants it to be true so it will be'. If people who care, beyond the monetary side of the trade, as I do, to stand up and maintain a species then great. I could care less about having a T as a status symbol. I don't know any people that would actually think a smuggled/illegal/threatened species was cool. As for buying these 'smuggled' animals how are they smuggled if there is no enforcement. So what you suggest is that we just keep doing nothing and lose both species in the wild and captivity rather than keep one going for research purposes if nothing else. Way to go bucko...
Is any research being done on P. hanumavilasumica? Didn't think so. No, they are being bred and sold for profit. Awesome, they are right now going extinct and yet they are being sold for profit. Is that not messed up?

I understand that the vast majority of species have entered the hobby illegally, but they also aren't the offspring of smuggled adults from what might possibly be the smallest and most rapidly declining populations in existence.

You're right, I'm not doing anything to personally help their cause. But to think that supporting smuggling of extremely rare species by buying their direct offspring (again, for PROFIT) is helping their survival is idiotic. Again, if they're alive in captivity but extinct in the wild, what good does it do? Their beauty, their contributions to nature, are only good if they exist in their natural populations. Face it, you're not standing up for anything. You're just taking a point of view that conveniently coincides with a selfish desire to own as many species of Poecilotheria as possible. It's not saving them. No, it's supporting a practice that is helping hasten their demise. Way to go bucko.

To compare me to a religious zealot is ridiculous. My point of view comes from years of research and education as an evolutionary biologist. It comes from a direct understanding of the insidious nature that the exotic pet trade can have. It comes from a direct understanding of how fragile the Earth's ecosystem is, and how interactions between species and their isolated evolutionary trajectories can have untold impacts.

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Why does every thread on Arachnoboards turn into an argument? I've been on other boards where the posters are actually civil to each other and stay on subject.