What is the deal with Pampho's and Phormic's

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
It's okay, Phormics and Pamphos will just about eat all their other tarantula opponents (which is true, since they're LARGE NW terrestrials).
Kind of irrelevant to the conversation though? Its not like were pitting them against each other for a fight to the death.

Besides, your forgetting the biggest and baddest of them all...Theraphosa. None of the others come close in terms of sheer size.

Not a big fan of the "my tarantula can eat yours" banter though.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Kind of irrelevant to the conversation though? Its not like were pitting them against each other for a fight to the death.

Besides, your forgetting the biggest and baddest of them all...Theraphosa. None of the others come close in terms of sheer size.

Not a big fan of the "my tarantula can eat yours" banter though.
True, I was just kidding around with that part, didn’t want to make it a conversation topic or anything, just a one liner to get some laughs.

I’d love to get some Theraphosa, especially apophysis, never had any so I’m curious to see the growth rate compared to Pamphos

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Tom Moran has a very well done overview of the Phormictopus genus on YT that includes species descriptions that may shine some light on your quest @Luka98.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
That's strange, I don't think any of the tarantulas I posted were brown? :bored:

Currently don't have any, but plan on getting some soon, they'll be added to my army list
Give a few years. ;)

@Luka98 they're probably all out now.. I don't own many pet holes or ghosts.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Phormictopus sp are stunning (I have a cancerides and an atrichromatus) and Pamphobeteus sp are stunning (I have two platyomma slings), but Phormictopus sp are far superior in every way.

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Just when I think I’m going to cool down in terms of wanting another species. I’m on board with Pamphos now (plan to get one next) but then this thread inspired me to check out the Phormictopus gallery. *sigh*

Time to add another couple to to the wish list...

Luka98

Arachnosquire
Ok since you guys derailed my thread enough already i'll just post my favorite tarantula from my collection :shifty:
My G Rosea, snagged this picture quickly before she bolted (you know how they are)
20181116_040055.jpg

Last edited:

LV-426

Arachnobaron
Poor man Pampho eh..I have experience with both. Phormictopus wins in the attitude category, and both look awesome IMO. I got my 2 Phormictopus sp. (cancerides and auratus) and Pampho several years ago. Phormictopus both were around 2 1/2-3in while the Pampho was a sling. I went on a week vacation in July of this year, and upon returning I found the Pampho dead unfortunately . Both Phormictopus are still alive and well. I give the edge to Phormictopus: size, attitude, color variations, tough as nails.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I don't own many pet holes or ghosts.
Heretic! The highest point of a dedicated arachnid keeper is to see nothing more than a burrow among a 'no man's land' of substrate! The burrows are able to 'talk'... they tell us stories :pompous:

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Poor man Pampho eh..I have experience with both. Phormictopus wins in the attitude category, and both look awesome IMO. I got my 2 Phormictopus sp. (cancerides and auratus) and Pampho several years ago. Phormictopus both were around 2 1/2-3in while the Pampho was a sling. I went on a week vacation in July of this year, and upon returning I found the Pampho dead unfortunately . Both Phormictopus are still alive and well. I give the edge to Phormictopus: size, attitude, color variations, tough as nails.
I'd have to disagree, I still give the edge to Phormics, but Pamphos grow faster than Phormics (out of the 12 or so species of Pamphos I've kept and the 6-7 species of Phormics I've kept) and Phormics tend to slow down once they hit 4-5". Phormics are hardier and cheaper so I give the edge as them. They have a large range of colors, just like Pamphos, and they usually have a more defensive attitude (which is a plus for me) but the feeding response for both are equal.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I'd have to disagree, I still give the edge to Phormics, but Pamphos grow faster than Phormics (out of the 12 or so species of Pamphos I've kept and the 6-7 species of Phormics I've kept) and Phormics tend to slow down once they hit 4-5". Phormics are hardier and cheaper so I give the edge as them. They have a large range of colors, just like Pamphos, and they usually have a more defensive attitude (which is a plus for me) but the feeding response for both are equal.

Luka98

Arachnosquire
You guys are killing me, i'm going to end up with a Phormictopus auratus or atrichomatus by the end of this thread! Oh and btw VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION is there any sexual dimorphism like with pampho's or are the males and the females the same color in the phormictopus genus? I see that the p. atrichomatus is mighty purple (at least in the breeders picture) with black accents, is that what i'm ending up with no matter the sex? (Needles to say i really want a purple spider)

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
You guys are killing me, i'm going to end up with a Phormictopus auratus or atrichomatus by the end of this thread! Oh and btw VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION is there any sexual dimorphism like with pampho's or are the males and the females the same color in the phormictopus genus? I see that the p. atrichomatus is mighty purple (at least in the breeders picture) with black accents, is that what i'm ending up with no matter the sex? (Needles to say i really want a purple spider)
Females will have more colors than the Pampho genus in general (there are exceptions), the males will be brighter than the females though obviously. If you want purple, I’d go with Phormictopus sp. purple, violet or Dominican purple (if going the Phormic route).

Luka98

Arachnosquire
Females will have more colors than the Pampho genus in general (there are exceptions), the males will be brighter than the females though obviously. If you want purple, I’d go with Phormictopus sp. purple, violet or Dominican purple (if going the Phormic route).
I have 3 options at the moment which are atrichomatus, auratus and cancerides. Now i know how muddy cancerides is and the seller didn't even provide a pic so i don't want to gamble too much. It's either the atrichomatus or auratus. But maybe my local sellers have some i'll have to check but i doubt it, their stock is pretty basic.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I have 3 options at the moment which are atrichomatus, auratus and cancerides. Now i know how muddy cancerides is and the seller didn't even provide a pic so i don't want to gamble too much. It's either the atrichomatus or auratus. But maybe my local sellers have some i'll have to check but i doubt it, their stock is pretty basic.
Even if you pick any of those, you won’t go wrong.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Ok since you guys derailed my thread enough already i'll just post my favorite tarantula from my collection :shifty:
My G Rosea, snagged this picture quickly before she bolted (you know how they are)
View attachment 292331
Whoa. We gotta work on that enclosure a bit buddy. You need to add some substrate! No more than 1.5 times the legspan from the lid to the top of the sub. Coco fiber or topsoil are fine. you should add a water dish as well.

And a hide, and......... :troll: