What is the cost of keeping a reptile?

warhorse333

Arachnopeon
Hi, I'm looking into getting a pet lizard, most likely a Leapord Gecko or Bearded Dragon. Although due to some recent financial issues I'm a little concerned with the cost of getting and maintaining a lizard, specifically the cost of the heat lamp/pad. I only recently started doing research on what's needed, but I know all reptiles need a constant heat gradient along their enclosure. I'm not sure if I can afford to keep it on all day and all night, so I might just get another tarantula if not.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Hi, I'm looking into getting a pet lizard, most likely a Leapord Gecko or Bearded Dragon. Although due to some recent financial issues I'm a little concerned with the cost of getting and maintaining a lizard, specifically the cost of the heat lamp/pad. I only recently started doing research on what's needed, but I know all reptiles need a constant heat gradient along their enclosure. I'm not sure if I can afford to keep it on all day and all night, so I might just get another tarantula if not.
A leopard gecko will cost less to keep than a bearded dragon due to not needing as big of enclosure.

With the heat scorce connected to a thermostat (mandatory), lights on a timer switch I doubt you'd notice much of an increase in the cost of electricity.

The initial set up is what will cost you.

Dapink02

Arachnopeon
Nothing gets easier for care than a tarantula. Although I would take a look at crested geckos. They are much easier to take care of than other species of reptiles

basin79

ArachnoGod
Nothing gets easier for care than a tarantula. Although I would take a look at crested geckos. They are much easier to take care of than other species of reptiles
Leopard geckos are bullet proof once their enclosure and environment have been set up right.

Chris WT

Arachnosquire
Might be worth waiting then, since your set up will use a bulb you will know the wattage and energy used won't be excessive at all. Housing and the animal itself are the greatest expenses. I have a tough time between wants and needs also (I have alot of animals) but it might be better to wait if money is that close.

Coolherper

Arachnopeon
I'd say that you should wait until you have a better financial situation. You never want to be within the possibility of affecting your animal's health due to some unexpected expenses both for the pet or in your own life. Inverts would be a good budget option.

warhorse333

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I think I'll just wait for a better financial situation before getting myself a leapord gecko. So probably next year :(. Until then I sate my need for more pets with a T from the Reptile Show at San Diego this weekend. Thank y'all for your opinions.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A refrigerator costs about $2 a month to operate. A heat mat, much less than a dollar a month. Leopard geckos are crepuscular in nature, they aren't UV bathers so you don't need strong light, pennies a month.

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
The bearded dragon requires a uv light, and a heat lamp but adults eat 80% veggies 20% insects.

Leopard geckos eat only insects, but are smaller overall and a heating lamp is preferred over a pad.

Higher initial cost goes to the bearded dragon, long term cost depends on where you get your insects.

Bubba Zanetti thinks you should get a bearded dragon.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Leopard geckos need belly heat, something a light does not really provide. There is a good bit of debate over whether lighting should be used at all for supplemental heating. I use a lamp in the winter out of a necessity to raise the ambient temperatures, but if I had a choice, I wouldn't use one. I'm not firmly on the "lights will blind them/cause stress/etc", but they are primarily nocturnal in the wild, so that is a consideration for me.

Now, in regard to cost, as has been pointed out, the bulk of the investment is getting started. You can cut corners in some areas, though. If you live near one of the chain-pet stores, they periodically run a dollar-a-gallon sale, meaning you can get a 20 gallon for 20 bucks. That's kind of the minimum for a adult leopard gecko in my opinion. Some keep them in ten gallons, but it kind of limits your decoration attempts and creating a temperature gradient.
A heat mat for that size tank can be had for 20 bucks or under on Amazon. Hides can be attractive store bought ones, or you can use some ingenuity and use something you might have handy around the home, you just have to use common sense. Same goes for water dishes and food dishes (if you choose to use one) And then you need to factor in things like calcium and vitamin supplements, your choice of floor covering (I avoid particulates, especially sand, don't let a salesperson sucker you into thinking you need sand)I use reptile carpeting, but it is not completely without its downsides.

No special lighting is required such as UVA or UVB, although there are some that say it is beneficial, but I haven't really researched that very much and use neither.

I'm probably forgetting a few things, but I'd estimate that you could drop between $50 and $100 dollars on the set-up. And then there is the cost of the lizard itself, and of course the food items which is an ongoing cost unless you choose to breed the food.