What is the best tarantula documentary you've ever seen?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Can be on youtube or elsewhere. If you can provide a link, even better.

So far I've found:

-Tarantula: King of Australia's Spiders (decent but not terribly in-depth)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9vzD2bGjJE

and

-The same video with 8 different names on youtube (it's really a History Channel show called Monster Hunter that has laughable science. It keeps showing a purple gorilla face that roars every few minutes when they jump to different locations...looking for a 5-foot spider...it's REALLY bad. Good for a laugh I guess.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIeCS8k_Vyc

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Ugh. I had forgotten about that movie. It probably set public perception of spiders back 20 years.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What, no Monster Bug Wars? Just kidding! :giggle:

Thanks for the cool shows. As hokey as Arachnophobia was, it is one of my favorite movies. What are the odds an exotic spider would be able to get a common spider in the states gravid or not eat her? LOL!

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Ugh. I had forgotten about that movie. It probably set public perception of spiders back 20 years.
How? Public perception before the movie was "Eek! A spider! Kill it!" After the movie, public perception remained "Eek! A spider! Kill it!" There were no "setbacks" caused by that movie. Just some entertaining moments.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
I loved that film, if anything it made me want T's more :)

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
How? Public perception before the movie was "Eek! A spider! Kill it!" After the movie, public perception remained "Eek! A spider! Kill it!" There were no "setbacks" caused by that movie. Just some entertaining moments.

Because it made people even more paranoid about all spiders and the lethality of their venom even more than they already were. Arachnophobia is not alone as far as TV/movies making spiders out to be monsters, though. It's a steady stream of social conditioning that reinforces a negative reaction to them.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Because it made people even more paranoid about all spiders and the lethality of their venom even more than they already were.
I disagree. You're making it sound like that movie did to spiders what Jaws did to sharks - and that is certainly not the case. Not even close.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I don't see how it had anything but a negative impact on people's perception of spiders.