What is the best first tarantula?

MRL

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Bedlam said:
Is kicking hairs the only negative to a Brachypelma smithi?
How is their temper?
They can be held but they kick lots. Imo still the best because they look so nice, makes ya want more or real happy if you don't. :D

PeterParker

Arachnopeon
Hi,

Would like to know about B.Boehmei and B.Smithi, regarding how fast do each of them grow in days? like how many days does a boehmei grow until they reach they're maximum size.

I like smithi but i dont want the characteristic of slow growth so i have to shift to boehmei which are fast growers but i didnt know "how" fast.

thanks

NastyNate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
read up on tarantulas before buying anything. how they live where they live how to care for them food anything and everything. you wouldnt buy a dog unless you researched it or had expierence with them. for buy one i suggest online breeders such as www.botarby8s.com and www.swiftinverts.com great guys great deals and great Ts.

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Grammostola, Brachypelma, Aphonapelma and Avicularia are all good begginer species. It all depends what you are looking for in a T.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
PeterParker said:
Hi,

Would like to know about B.Boehmei and B.Smithi, regarding how fast do each of them grow in days? like how many days does a boehmei grow until they reach they're maximum size.

I like smithi but i dont want the characteristic of slow growth so i have to shift to boehmei which are fast growers but i didnt know "how" fast.

thanks
Both B. bohemei and B. smithi are somewhat slower growers - as are most Brachypelmas - and will take several years to mature depending on conditions and how much they are fed.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
To me, a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens is a very good beginer tarantula, depending on the maturity of the new keeper. They can be fast so for a beginer I would avoid disturbing it, but they're awesome! Good feeder's, good webber's but not enough to make a big amount of web where you cannot see the T. They've nice coloration, they dont hide much, they get a good size ...

This said, theres lots of good beginer tarantula ...

PA7R1CK

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
MRL said:
They can be held but they kick lots. Imo still the best because they look so nice, makes ya want more or real happy if you don't. :D
I agree, look at the coloring!

Last edited:

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm not a teacher, but a mother of three school-aged children. So here's my opinion. I say go with with the wild caught Oklahoma Brown. They are pretty, docile and easy to care for, and you can integrate it into lessons of local flora and flauna and the like. Just check local laws to see if it's ok to just take one, I would think that is easy enough. Also, you have to decide whether you want a pet that the children can handle or not. Some folks recommended gbb (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens) and avics, while easy to care for, can't be handled in a classroom, they are too fast. If you want one that could be passed around, I'd say a pzb or a Brachypelma emilia. But again, I'd probably go hunting for the Oklahoma Brown and that way you could try to find one that seems pretty mellow too, and they generally are from what I've read, I don't have one though so I don't know first hand.

Last edited:

Endora

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
G.Rosea (chiliean common spider) They are really easy to keep. And personally, i think that they are quite beautiful. Anyways... who says you won't be getting more. ;) i warn you they are truely addictive

Since I was 5

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
IF your looking for a T that gets real big, and isnt all to hard to care for, i would recomend a Salmon Pink Bird Eater. Not to hard to care for really, and it was my second T, my first being the other spider i would recomend, a B. Smithi or Mexican red knee as a petstore would call it. Really nicely colored, and a slow grower so you can watch them grow up. both spiders, in adult form, should run you 60-70 depending on were you go. Both terrastrial and always out for the most part. Terrastrial Ts make great starters, and are fairly hardy as well. This is coming from someone who just got back into the hobby at the age of twenty since takin a break at 13 wit simple rose hairs.

chelbell24

Arachnopeon
help me please

hi my name is michelle i got 4 spiders of my mate i have never had them befor but on off them is not moveing its legs are still out not under wot dose that mean please help me as i am worried thank u

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
hi my name is michelle i got 4 spiders of my mate i have never had them befor but on off them is not moveing its legs are still out not under wot dose that mean please help me as i am worried thank u
First off, this thread is 4 years old, more people will see it if you start a new thread.

Second, we need much more info to be able to help you. Pictures would also be good. How long has it not been moving? What species is it? What kind of enclosure/set up is it in? Tarantula's often stay in the same place for long periods of time, so it's almost impossible to tell you what's going on without more info and pics.

Third, it would be much easier to read and understand your post, if it wasn't typed out like a text message and had punctuation. Just a thought.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
She said:

Hi my name is Michelle, I got four spiders off of my friend. I have never kept spiders before, but one of my spiders is not moving. It's legs arent curled under though. What does that mean? Please help me because I am very worried. Thank you.

Answer:

Tarantulas generally arent a very active pet. Its normal for them to not move for long periods of time. Good luck with your new spiders though. Maybe post some pictures later?

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
She said:

Hi my name is Michelle, I got four spiders off of my friend. I have never kept spiders before, but one of my spiders is not moving. It's legs arent curled under though. What does that mean? Please help me because I am very worried. Thank you.
Thank you ;)

Fierce Deїty

Arachnopeon
Welcome to the boards. I say B. smithi. G. rosea is so common, and in my opinion Brachypelma smithi is more beautiful and just as docile.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Who are you welcoming to the boards? This thread originated 6 years ago.

Fierce Deїty

Arachnopeon
You should change your title by your name from Arachnoemporer to Arach-know-it-all. Man, you seem to love making people feel stupid.

I didn't see the date it was started. It's an honest mistake by anyone. I'm new to these boards too, and I was just trying to be friendly.

Last edited: