What is the best first tarantula?

MountinGal

Arachnopeon
I have recently become fascinated with tarantulas. This happened when my family moved to SE Colorado where Oklahoma Browns are native to the area. As a teacher I have caught and then released a couple of these for my kids to look at, but now I want a captive bred as a pet. I am looking for some "first spider" suggestions. Thanks for the help!

Jennifer

NightCrawler27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
g.rosea's are good for starting keepers...they are easy to take care of too..dry substrate ..water dish ..and some heat source...and a hide..but there are alot other different species you can choose from to ....good luck in finding your first T

and welcome to the boards..

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Welcome to the boards!

There are many many different good beginner species you may have better luck also by narrowing down what qualities you may want in your future T. Such as color, size, aboreal, terestrial also do you think you will handle the T some T's such as the old worlders don't take to kindly to being handled : :embarrassed: Cost can also be another consideration as well as if you prefer a sling (spiderling), juvinile, or adult. A good feature hear at the boards because this is a frequent question is the search function you may get more ideas that route as well. Good luck with you search :)

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
G. pulchra's are very cool, jet black Ts that are related to the G.rosea. They're a bit more expensive (than roseas) and slow growers but they eat wonderfully and dig enough to make them lots of fun to watch.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Grammostola rosea (Chilean rose hair) are very hardy but they can go on prolonged fasts. This can be quite frustrating to beginners, especially if you are spending money on crickets that go to waste. I would recommend Brachypelma smithi as they are both colorful and docile. They also live for many years, if you can get a spiderling or juvenile. They can be quite pricey for these reasons. If you don't want one you can handle, and handling is not recommended with any T., that will allow you to choose from many more. I would suggest going to the dealers site on the for sale/trade forum and checking out what is availiable. Their sites also give lots of info on the specific species themselves. As a teacher you will know the value of research. Good luck and welcome to the boards.

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
personally i would go with Avic avic they are docile and easy to care for...in my experience the B smithi kicks excessive hair and they are not that fun to deal with if you do not know what you are doing the hari can be very irratating...the G rosea are very good but they are often unpredictable in behavior...i love the Avic avic it was my first T and really enjoy it...it webs to some extent eats great grows fast and has nice colors blue's green's reddish hairs with pink toes IMO that is the all around best beginner arboreal T...if you want a Terrestrial id say go with a (Eupalaestrus campestratus) pink zebra beauty. :D....welcome to the boards and the hobby keep us posted on what you get.

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Any type of Grammostola,Brachypelma,and Aphopelma (sp) sp. are good terrestrial spiders to begin with. Avics are good aboreals to start with as well, I would go for the Grammostola aureostriata or the Grammostola pulchra :)

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It depends, as mentioned, on your priorities.

Do you want something kind? It would seem most 'kind' terrestrials don't do much(relative term in the tarantula world), or eat much, but they can be colourful and safe to handle.

Regardless, a South American would probably be the wisest first choice.

Maybe a Chromatopelma cyanopubescens? Colourful as hell(hah), and eats a lot. Nervous too, and is likely to kick hairs when disturbed(but then, so are many Brachypelma), so probably not for handling. Would probably web copious amounts too, but that's just fascinating :)

Edit. Oh, and they like it quite dry too, which is a good thing.

Avics are good first arboreals, but I don't know about first T as a whole. They tend to sit in their webs an awful lot, from what I've seen, and like to shoot poo when disturbed.

Last edited:

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yay!

Another teacher!

I have a G. rosea in my classroom, although when I have her at school she doesn't do a whole lot. Pretty much a pet rock. I've already brought her home for the holidays, and now she moves around all the time, climbs the walls, etc.

Although their eating patterns and such are unpredictable, they are good first pets because they are very hardy and have a high margin of error.

Good luck in your search! Please let us know what you decide to buy and post some pics!

Cory Loomis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Always good to have another teacher. I'd recommend a Grammostola aureostriata. They are relatively large, not terribly expensive, pretty docile, long-lived, and easily maintained. Make sure your display is secure no matter which species you select, and I would advise a "no handling" policy for the sake of the spider.

nowhereman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd agree with Cory, Chaco golden knee (Grammostola aureostriata) is the teddy bear of the T's. :)

Sandra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Chaco Golden Knee

I third the Grammastola aureostriata! We got ours a couple months ago as our first tarantula, and have been very happy with it's ease of care and mellow temperment.

Avicularia avicularia (Pink Toe) was another recommendation we got, but because they jump and can be fast moving, I wasn't sure if I was up to that! (Still a little creeped out by spiders at that point.) I have one on my wishlist now. :)

I've also often read some of the same feedback on "Rosies" - that they can be tempermental, some very docile, others just nasty. And Brachypelma smithis (Mexican Red Knees) while nicely marked and fairly docile, I was warned can be bad hair kickers. (Defensively flick small hairs at you that can be very irritating at best.)

As you'll read in other parts of these forums though, there are individual T's that break the rules of typical temperments.

Let us know what you decide!

Last edited:

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
nowhereman said:
I'd agree with Cory, Chaco golden knee (Grammostola aureostriata) is the teddy bear of the T's. :)
Only Chaco I ever came near was a vicious little beast :) Did not belong to me, but I still have some pictures of it in threat posture, I think.

Zoo Keeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A. hentzi, make great first Tarantulas. They are one of my personal favorites. Good luck with your new Tarantula.

CIRE

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There are so many to choose from, but I would not recommend a G. pulchra as a first (unless it is a juvi or adult)...they are EXTREMELY slow growers and for some reason, maybe just mine in particular, he/she has been in premolt forever!!! Not very fun having a spider that doesn't eat and forgets how to molt... that's for sure....

But like everyone has said, there are many choices...but if you are willing to spend a good dollar on one, I would really recommend a C. cyaneopubescens (Greenbottle Blue)...very active...very pretty...and web like mad...B. albopilosum is also a wicked choice...and so is P. cancerides....I can go on and on...

whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll be happy with it...I listened to suggestions when I got my first T (or Ts rather ;) ..."can't buy just one!"), but in the end, I went with a couple that people recommended and one that I thought would be cool...so just take our suggestions for what they are, and do some research on whatever catches your eye...

Washout

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I think you'd be fine with a WC female Okalahoma Brown for a first T. They are pretty docile I've heard.

Randy

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Use the Search. there are LOTS of post about beginner or first Tarantula's

DanD5303

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Of the spiders recommended here I've got two, G. aureostriata and Pink Zebra Beauty. I'd second Sandra in recommending the G. aureostriata-Chaco Golden Knee. They're attractive, relatively inexpensive, and get big. Ours is a total sweetheart. Dan

nowhereman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Vys said:
Only Chaco I ever came near was a vicious little beast :) Did not belong to me, but I still have some pictures of it in threat posture, I think.
Anythings possible. :embarrassed:
This chaco goes has gone to work with a friend of mine (thannks for the pics Mike. I couldn't resist). Even the phobic would handle her. Just like ours, she's a darling. :}

Last edited: