1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what is the appeal to keeping widows?

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by squidkid, Aug 13, 2019.

1. squidkid

squidkid Arachnoknight Active Member

Advertisement
    i've never kept them myself but i've seen a lot of people on here saying that they love widows so can you guys fill me in on why they are so special. i have seen some really nice looking ones in the wild and am open to keeping some. let me know your favorite species and post some pics. also give me some basic husbandry tips if i do end up keeping one. :)

2. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoprince Active Member

CA
    The appeal is that they are gorgeous and variable. Evidence below

The care is easy. I keep adults in 32 oz deli cups. I basically just give them wooden skewers to make their web. I feed them a couple times a month.

L. sp. Mexico
    0954BC71-7115-4635-8DE5-D9C94A8CDCA2.jpeg

L. tredecimguttatus
    62446CDC-252A-4536-B6E0-1514529348A5.jpeg

L. menavodi
    8B243D9E-03DE-420E-9829-13B2108960A9.jpeg

L. hasselti
    9D7C913A-DB54-43E9-9FF6-009414A6F4A6.jpeg

L. variolus
    B6E073AB-A695-459D-AE25-736ADF079A15.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  3. squidkid

4. NYAN

CA
    I buy and breed them.

• Like Like x 2
  5. squidkid

6. chanda

chanda Arachnoprince Active Member

My very first pet spider was a widow (Latrodectus hesperus) and the reason I chose her was to help overcome a lifelong fear of spiders in general - and widows in particular. (Thanks, Mom!) Kind of the jump-in-the-deep-end approach to getting over something, just like how I became a blood donor to overcome my stupid (and equally lifelong) fear of needles. And it worked! The more I observed her and learned about her, the more fear turned into fascination.

I now have an entire room full of pet bugs and spiders - mostly spiders - so the "get over my fear of spiders" phase has definitely passed - but I still do like the widows. They are beautiful spiders, don't require a great deal of space, and are super easy to keep. They are also very easy to obtain - I just have to go outside at night with a flashlight and catch one.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jadestone

Jadestone Arachnopeon Active Member

The first spider I kept was a Brown Widow(Latrodectus geometricus). As stated above, they are really easy to care for. So long as you don't catch them just before they make an egg sac, that is.

8. Patherophis

Patherophis Arachnobaron Active Member

L. sp. Mexico (sometimes also listed as L. mactans Mexico or L. mactans mexicanus) is my most favorite by far. Sadly my male passed before succesful mating.

9. NYAN

CA
    I had 2 males for these that also died. I’m on the hunt for more.

• Like Like x 1
  10. C180C5C4-E799-4492-A9E9-DE530EE3B791.png I really enjoy watching mine feed, very graceful.

• Like Like x 1
  11. MasterOogway

MasterOogway Arachnosquire

They're fascinating little spiders! Hands down some of my favorite to keep.

12. Wolfspidurguy

Wolfspidurguy Arachnobaron

I've always wanted one because as a kid I was told to stay away from all spiders because they might be a widow and that only peeked my interest in them and other spiders and now I'm here so I guess I want one as a symbol of how far I've come from fearing them to keeping them

13. asunshinefix

asunshinefix Arachnopeon Active Member

As a reformed arachnophobe, before getting any tarantulas, I decided to practice with a wild spider. I captured what I thought was a Steatoda grossa and by the time I realized it was actually a female L. variolus I was really attached to her. I decided to keep her because I was comfortable with her, she was easy to care for, and of course she was ridiculously beautiful. Just a chilled out, easy spider that was very predictable in her behaviour and not at all defensive or even skittish.