What is coming out of my mealworm?

BuzzSwole

Arachnosquire
It’s probably transferred by the other mealworms eating it. Though it is strange to see a parasite come from a creature that requires so little moisture.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
Perhaps I should mention that the first time I saw it, the mealworm was still alive. I was distracted at that moment and didn't take it out right away. :banghead: When I did take it out a day or two later with a cage spot-cleaning, it was dead. Of course, I take out dead ones every spot-clean, so the death wasn't very significant. As far as I could tell, the maybe-parasite didn't move or come out farther in that time.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
I just noticed that the mealworms have been chewing on the plastic leaves I have in their enclosure. Is that a bad thing?

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
I just noticed that the mealworms have been chewing on the plastic leaves I have in their enclosure. Is that a bad thing?
...no answer..I'll try again. Will it be harmful to the mealies or the inverts that feed on them (Ts and soon, a mantis) that the mealworms are eating plastic leaves?

schmiggle

Arachnoking
...no answer..I'll try again. Will it be harmful to the mealies or the inverts that feed on them (Ts and soon, a mantis) that the mealworms are eating plastic leaves?
First off, why do you have plastic leaves in your enclosure?

Second, probably depends on the plastic.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
No idea what kind of plastic they are.
Honestly, you're probably fine. Some plastics break down into harmful chemicals, but as far as I know, most of those are only harmful with long term exposure. Most plastics work well because they're fairly stable compounds.