What is a fair price for this CL tarantula?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
It's advertised as a Mexican Red Rump, which I believe is B. vagans. I would be making an offer for just the tarantula, as I would place it in a more appropriate terrestrial enclosure with no heat mats or screen lids. The seller is approximately 90 minutes away.

What would you offer for it if you were in my position? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
It's advertised as a Mexican Red Rump, which I believe is B. vagans. I would be making an offer for just the tarantula, as I would place it in a more appropriate terrestrial enclosure with no heat mats or screen lids. The seller is approximately 90 minutes away.

take the tank and use it for something else.

B vagans is a pretty common species so I wouldn't pay more than like 20 bucks or something for it personally. Maybe 30 if you take the tank and lid and throw some Anole lizards in it. But that's me. I also live in one of the highest taxes states in the country so I'm fiscally frugal (tho that's partly my nature as well)

DanBsTs

Dan (Not Even Cool) the Man
Poor little thing :( Sounds like the parent just wants to get rid of it. I would pay more than $40 for the whole set up tbh.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Poor little thing :( Sounds like the parent just wants to get rid of it.
On wood chips, screen lid, heat mat. Typical craigslist quality of care...I suppose I should be grateful that there's no sponge in the water dish. :rofl:

I also noticed that it has kicked itself bald, and they say that the kid has been handling it. I would definitely give it a better home, but at the same time, I don't want to get ripped off, especially if it's a MM. Of course, the pictures are too garbage to tell much of anything. It looks between 3-4 inches to me, which I'm assuming means an immature male (although I could get lucky and get a female.)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I actually really enjoy the look of vagans.. I would offer 30 unsexed and if I could determine it's female I would pay 50 for one that size.. Long lived, hardy and sometimes feisty terrestrial with a nice black and red paint job.. Totally worth it IMO.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yeah try n get a closer pic, you might even be able to talk seller down. Craig list near me no longer allows animal sales , unless it’s just hidden. Cage is prob $20-25 new , so your paying full price.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow, those are some really terrible photos. I would offer $20-30, I doubt they’ll get any better offer. Could very well be female, I’m sure they have no idea.
I like vagans a lot too. They are beautiful.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
50$ is fair actually IF female, it's a steal.

Without sex ID, 20-30

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Thanks for the input, everybody.

I offered $35 for the T by itself, and the seller agreed. Taking a gamble...let's hope it's not a MM...so hard to tell by those photos. Will report back later with a photo that I took. Gotta run!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
It’s a good deal for a female if so good luck , hope it’s not a sub adult male. Both look same in a pic almost, $50 for the tank was a better deal imo but tanks kinda odd looking.
More like a rescue judging how poorly tank is set up .
I have 10gals with same lid got em on sale for $15-22 each

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Thanks for the input, everybody.

I offered $35 for the T by itself, and the seller agreed. Taking a gamble...let's hope it's not a MM...so hard to tell by those photos. Will report back later with a photo that I took. Gotta run!
If it's a MM maybe you can get your money back from a breeding loan.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
So, just got back after my road trip to Lancaster. Paid $35 for it. The lady's kid was moving out and "didn't have time for it any more." Same thing that Velcro's previous owner told me. Oh well, their loss is my gain.

Some observations:

-Definitely looks like a B. vagans to me.

-Over-fed. The photo doesn't really do this abdomen justice. 6 crickets at a time, lady? (That's what she told me they fed it.)

-DLS is pretty big, more than I would have guessed. It's got to be at least 5 inches. I'll get a proper measurement once it has settled in.

-No tibial hooks. I can't get a clear side photo through the acrylic because of reflections, but I looked and looked for hooks on the front pair of legs, and nothing. So what I have here is either a female or a really fat immature male. She said that they had it for 3 years (but not how big it was when they got it.)

-Temperament seems very calm. I was expecting some attitude getting it into and out of the container, but got none. It's a slow mover. I know that this may change at any time.

Even if it is a male, I'm glad to get it out of that tank with the wood chips, heat mat, long fall distance, and screen lid.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I don't think you need to feed that thing until the next time it molts lol. It's absolutely huge.

Tearsacid

Arachnopeon
Lol at least it has a healthy appetite. I think thats a good buy considering that people jack the prices way up with size.

The tank was also a good deal. They used to go for 10 bucks even with no lid but these days its at least 30 for a tank plus normal screen lid. Sliding lock lid top would be more. Heat pad would go for about 13 & 5-15 for the water bowl. 10-20 for the hide.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Eh, depending on your financial straits, 35 dollars is not a king's ransom. And if it has not already hooked out, which it does not look like it has to me, you'll have it for a while at least. I have an E. campestratus that is pushing 2 years since it hooked out. Different species, I know, but still...

Of course, watching the E. camp take down prey is kinda like watching a blind octogenarian tackle a plate of spaghetti while wearing oven mitts. Enthusiastic but lacking finesse No offense to mature male tarantulas or blind octogenarians intended.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

Good luck my car won’t even make it 90 minute drive . Parents refuse to get it fixed and I can’t seem to find a job . Say I gotta fix it myself it could blow up anytime. Sounds like a diesel truck exhaust is completely bad with engine problems also haha. Gunna need a new car at some point.

Wish ida bread some males I’m always sad many went to waste
Lol at least it has a healthy appetite. I think thats a good buy considering that people jack the prices way up with size.

The tank was also a good deal. They used to go for 10 bucks even with no lid but these days its at least 30 for a tank plus normal screen lid. Sliding lock lid top would be more. Heat pad would go for about 13 & 5-15 for the water bowl. 10-20 for the hide.
yeah what a blunder whole set up was probably worth $40 without the spider.
O well enjoy the T , maybe you can find a cage at a garage sale ....:greedy:
Spider was prob worth 20-40 hopefully female. Big Plastic shoebox cost up to $15-20

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
what a blunder whole set up was probably worth $40 without the spider.
I have a closet full of empty tanks, screen lids, heat mats, hides, etc that I'm not using. I don't need more of the same stuff, no matter how good a deal it is.

maybe you can find a cage at a garage sale ....:greedy:
I have a few T enclosures of each size ready to go (just need to fill the water dish) at all times. I like to stay ahead of the curve.

TMO

Arachnopeon
Yea that thing has been well fed! You said 6 crickets at a time? How often? None of mine will take more than 2-3 usually.