What invert should I get?

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Assassin bugs (Platymeris and Psytalla). Communal, easy to breed, great for display.

They do have a huge appetite for live prey, so if you want to maintain a big colony of assassin bugs you should also keep a big colony of roaches or mealworms.

You shouldn't really handle them... I've found them to be not at all inclined to bite and I have no problem letting adults crawl on my hands while doing cage maintenance, but that's probably a dumb idea. They have really nasty venom and one of these days I might regret being careless with them. That being said my point is they aren't super aggressive and there's no need to use the level of caution you might use with centipedes or certain tarantulas. They do spit venom that you don't want in your eyes. I've seen that a couple times.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
@Chimera Hmm... I admit that my only experience with isopods, or "potato bugs", as I called them as a child, was in my backyard. I generally had to dig around in a flower bed to find any of the elusive creatures.

I don't keep my substrate very deep so that could be why they are out a lot. Or maybe the types. The Dwarf White seem to hide more.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
There are lots of neat native Tenebrionid beetles to choose from, the desert dwelling species in particular are usually quite long lived and easy to care for as adults, and make great pets for the beginning bug keeper! :) They are also very easy and safe to handle, though some species can excrete a rather smelly defensive fluid if frightened. Adults of most desert species need minimal moisture, and lots of ventilation. A diet of dog/cat food or chick feed works well, you can also supplement their diet with fruits and veggies.

Eleodes and Asbolus are two great starter genera, many Eleodes species are very easy to breed in captivity, and Asbolus adults are very hardy, though a lot more difficult to breed. If you are planning on breeding your Tenebs, you'll need to provide the adults with a moist area of the substrate to oviposit in. Once the eggs hatch, you'll end up with a lot of little larvae, which can be kept with the adults as long as there are a few inches of substrate in the enclosure, and the adults have plenty of hides above ground. The larvae have the same diet as the adults, and require at least one corner of the enclosure to be kept moist.

Once mature, (usually about one and a half times the length of the adult beetles), the larvae should be removed and placed in small deli cups filled with moist, compressed substrate to make pupal cells in. Once they've made their pupal cell, they will curl up into a sort of C or J shape, and molt into a pupa. Keep the substrate moist but not really wet, and when the beetle matures and digs it's way up to the surface, (or you happen to see it through the bottom of the deli cup, if the larva built the cell up against the enclosure), take it out gently and place it in a well ventilated deli cup with a thin layer of bone dry substrate. Be sure to do this very gently, as the beetle will be very soft during this stage, and you can easily dent it's elytra by mistake. Spray one area of the cup very lightly every few days, and keep the beetle well fed for a week or two until it hardens up, then you can place it back with it's parents/brethren. :)

Hope this helps!

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Roaches are also another great choice, with so many species being available in the hobby nowadays! Many species make great pets, and are easier to breed than Tenebrionid beetles, since you don't have to separate the nymphs of most species to mature or anything! :D Gromphadorhina and Blaberus in particular are some nice genera for the beginning Blatticulturist! I have more roaches in my collection than any other invertebrate, they are definitely one of the best pet bugs you can get! And if you are worried about not being able to sell any off, just get some of the rarer or more slow breeding species, ones that are in high demand. ;)

Last edited:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
but centurio needs the chunks.
Actually my Gyna centurio have barely any sort of chunks in their substrate, just a few tiny bark pieces here and there, and some small stones, (I used a 50/50 mix of coconut fiber and really crappy potting soil), their substrate is actually a lot more smooth than my G.lurida substrate. Anyway, they are doing great right now, my female has already had two litters of nymphs, which are growing nicely! :D This species seems fairly tolerant of a wide range of conditions.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Actually my Gyna centurio have barely any sort of chunks in their substrate, just a few tiny bark pieces here and there, and some small stones, (I used a 50/50 mix of coconut fiber and really crappy potting soil), their substrate is actually a lot more smooth than my G.lurida substrate. Anyway, they are doing great right now, my female has already had two litters of nymphs, which are growing nicely! :D This species seems fairly tolerant of a wide range of conditions.
Niiicee, that's what I like to hear! I need to upgrade my colony this weekend since there almost looks to be more nymphs than substrate lol. Just got super easy if I don't need all the extra stuff to mix in.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Niiicee, that's what I like to hear! I need to upgrade my colony this weekend since there almost looks to be more nymphs than substrate lol. Just got super easy if I don't need all the extra stuff to mix in.
Yeah, they definitely aren't as finicky as Gyna bisannulata or G.capucina when it comes to substrate aeration! :) Wow sounds like your colony is booming lol!

Chimera

Arachnosquire
You're welcome!

Care for the easier Gyna sp. (caffrorum, lurida, centurio): couple inches of cocofiber with various "chunks" mixed in. Chunks can be rotting hardwoods, dead leaves, cypress mulch, even coconut husk chunks. Both caffrorum and lurida can work with a "smoother" substrate, but centurio needs the chunks. Room temp is fine, though a few degrees warmer doesn't hurt. Keep on the drier side though mist with some frequency or you can keep the lower levels of the substrate damp at all times with a dry top layer. You'll still need to mist because the roaches tend to circulate the substrate as they move around. For food, if it's edible they will probably devour it, doubly so when you get a larger colony. I throw pieces of dry cat food in there and within a couple seconds I can't see it anymore because it's covered with nymphs and slowly sinking beneath the surface. All fruits and veggies have been happily taken. Nymphs burrow some but are frequently found on the surface. Adults can climb and fly and are happy to do it after dark. If you do maintenance during the day they tend to hunker down and not move or quickly burrow down in the substrate. One of the odds things I've noticed about my caffrorum colony is that when I open the lid there's a slight grapey smell. Weirdest thing, but I like it.

I'm not actually sure well V. ornata sells. Not many people offer them for sale anywhere, so it's hard to say (or maybe that's the answer right there).

Whips are definitely one of my favorites. Easy to keep, low maintenance and such an alien look. More species are slowly becoming available in the US too. FL species is getting harder to find, but I know several people that are breeding them, so hopefully the market will be flooded with whiplings soonish.

Oh, and to answer a question from further up, shipping will vary depending on what you're getting and how quickly you want to get it. Overnight costs more than priority. FedEx costs more than USPS. Venomous arachnids can be gray-area-legally shipped through FedEx, but it's a federal crime to ship them through USPS (whips are ok for USPS). Distance also plays a factor. Temps can matter too because it influences how the box is shipped. If it's cold, the shipper may need to purchase Styrofoam and a heat pack, the costs of which they may pass on to you. People may add on processing and handling fees too, but I don't think that's very common in the hobby.
Awesome, thanks for the info!
Assassin bugs (Platymeris and Psytalla). Communal, easy to breed, great for display.

They do have a huge appetite for live prey, so if you want to maintain a big colony of assassin bugs you should also keep a big colony of roaches or mealworms.

You shouldn't really handle them... I've found them to be not at all inclined to bite and I have no problem letting adults crawl on my hands while doing cage maintenance, but that's probably a dumb idea. They have really nasty venom and one of these days I might regret being careless with them. That being said my point is they aren't super aggressive and there's no need to use the level of caution you might use with centipedes or certain tarantulas. They do spit venom that you don't want in your eyes. I've seen that a couple times.
I actually have looked into assassin bugs, almost as much nope as centipedes... I'm just wary of animals that can harm me too easily. But thanks for the suggestion!

@Chimera Hmm... I admit that my only experience with isopods, or "potato bugs", as I called them as a child, was in my backyard. I generally had to dig around in a flower bed to find any of the elusive creatures.

I don't keep my substrate very deep so that could be why they are out a lot. Or maybe the types. The Dwarf White seem to hide more.
Hmm, okay. I might get isopods sometime in the future, but for now, I think I've pretty much settled on roaches.

There are lots of neat native Tenebrionid beetles to choose from, the desert dwelling species in particular are usually quite long lived and easy to care for as adults, and make great pets for the beginning bug keeper! :) They are also very easy and safe to handle, though some species can excrete a rather smelly defensive fluid if frightened. Adults of most desert species need minimal moisture, and lots of ventilation. A diet of dog/cat food or chick feed works well, you can also supplement their diet with fruits and veggies.

Eleodes and Asbolus are two great starter genera, many Eleodes species are very easy to breed in captivity, and Asbolus adults are very hardy, though a lot more difficult to breed. If you are planning on breeding your Tenebs, you'll need to provide the adults with a moist area of the substrate to oviposit in. Once the eggs hatch, you'll end up with a lot of little larvae, which can be kept with the adults as long as there are a few inches of substrate in the enclosure, and the adults have plenty of hides above ground. The larvae have the same diet as the adults, and require at least one corner of the enclosure to be kept moist.

Once mature, (usually about one and a half times the length of the adult beetles), the larvae should be removed and placed in small deli cups filled with moist, compressed substrate to make pupal cells in. Once they've made their pupal cell, they will curl up into a sort of C or J shape, and molt into a pupa. Keep the substrate moist but not really wet, and when the beetle matures and digs it's way up to the surface, (or you happen to see it through the bottom of the deli cup, if the larva built the cell up against the enclosure), take it out gently and place it in a well ventilated deli cup with a thin layer of bone dry substrate. Be sure to do this very gently, as the beetle will be very soft during this stage, and you can easily dent it's elytra by mistake. Spray one area of the cup very lightly every few days, and keep the beetle well fed for a week or two until it hardens up, then you can place it back with it's parents/brethren. :)

Hope this helps!
Wow, thanks so much for all the information! I looked into the Eleodes genus, I'm afraid none of them look very appealing to me...

Roaches are also another great choice, with so many species being available in the hobby nowadays! Many species make great pets, and are easier to breed than Tenebrionid beetles, since you don't have to separate the nymphs of most species to mature or anything! :D Gromphadorhina and Blaberus in particular are some nice genera for the beginning Blatticulturist! I have more roaches in my collection than any other invertebrate, they are definitely one of the best pet bugs you can get! And if you are worried about not being able to sell any off, just get some of the rarer or more slow breeding species, ones that are in high demand. ;)
Yep, as mentioned above, I think roaches are what I'm going to settle on. I'm very tempted by
Blaberus craniifer, but I REALLY love the look and size of A. tesselata.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Wow, thanks so much for all the information! I looked into the Eleodes genus, I'm afraid none of them look very appealing to me...
Lots of the Eleodes are rather dull looking, but are very entertaining in behavior! :) There's also the genus Embaphion, Embaphion muricatum and E.cf.contusum are being reared by some hobbyists, (me included). E.muricatum in particular is a bit more sensitive to moisture levels than Eleodes though.

Yep, as mentioned above, I think roaches are what I'm going to settle on. I'm very tempted by
Blaberus craniifer, but I REALLY love the look and size of A. tesselata.
Nice picks, A.tesselata in particular you should have no problem selling if you have too many, from what I've heard they seem to be in high demand! :)

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah, most people don't buy Eleodes for the looks, they buy them for the entertainment. I used to have one larger individual that would grab pieces of oat and spend the next 20 minutes running around trying to keep it away from the others...who had just gone to the food pile and grabbed their own oats. The other genera look quite a bit fancier, though I can't say how active they are comparatively.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Consider a colony of Asbolus/Cryptoglossus. Constant movement. Comical. Very easy to care for.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Have you ever considered katydids or one of the big active true spiders like huntsmans? They both come in an assortment of beautiful colours and are pretty easy to reproduce, they also sell easy

Chimera

Arachnosquire
Hey everyone! Sorry about my lack of responses, things have been a bit crazy.

Lots of the Eleodes are rather dull looking, but are very entertaining in behavior! :) There's also the genus Embaphion, Embaphion muricatum and E.cf.contusum are being reared by some hobbyists, (me included). E.muricatum in particular is a bit more sensitive to moisture levels than Eleodes though.
Nice picks, A.tesselata in particular you should have no problem selling if you have too many, from what I've heard they seem to be in high demand! :)
...maybe I'm expecting a bit much to find a species that I like the activity and find beautiful. Either way, I'll keep beetles on my "maybe" list :)

Yeah, most people don't buy Eleodes for the looks, they buy them for the entertainment. I used to have one larger individual that would grab pieces of oat and spend the next 20 minutes running around trying to keep it away from the others...who had just gone to the food pile and grabbed their own oats. The other genera look quite a bit fancier, though I can't say how active they are comparatively.
Oh my gosh, that's hilarious! Inverts with that amount of personality would certainly be cool to own!

Consider a colony of Asbolus/Cryptoglossus. Constant movement. Comical. Very easy to care for.
Ah, yes. I've great things about death-feigners. My only problem with them is that I've heard they tend to be incredibly difficult to breed. Is this true? If I'm wrong, I would love a link to anything the explains how to do so :)

Have you ever considered katydids or one of the big active true spiders like huntsmans? They both come in an assortment of beautiful colours and are pretty easy to reproduce, they also sell easy
I think katydids did cross my mind at one point... I think I was looking into stick insects at the time, then I learned that stick insects are illegal to keep in the US :( I guess I assumed the same was true for katydids? Is it? And where does one even get katydids? I have never seen them for sale anywhere. And last question, but... uh... wouldn't they be incredibly loud to keep indoors at night? Hunstmans I've looked into, but the thought of so many offspring sounds a little hard to handle.

P.S. Love your screen name! Jurassic Park is probably my absolutely favorite book!

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
I think katydids did cross my mind at one point... I think I was looking into stick insects at the time, then I learned that stick insects are illegal to keep in the US :( I guess I assumed the same was true for katydids? Is it? And where does one even get katydids? I have never seen them for sale anywhere. And last question, but... uh... wouldn't they be incredibly loud to keep indoors at night? Hunstmans I've looked into, but the thought of so many offspring sounds a little hard to handle.

P.S. Love your screen name! Jurassic Park is probably my absolutely favorite book!
Male katydids are the only ones that sing IME. You can probably get katydids online or catch your own, also there are some legal stick insects in America. As for huntsmans, they have heaps of young but if you put an add up for a particularly sought after species they get eaten up super fast by buyers.

Dennis Nedry had a rather grizzly death in the book didn't he? ;)

SolFeliz

Arachnosquire
You should go with roaches. They can also live with other inverts like mantids and millipedes, so long as they're all similarly sized (except mantids, they're too fast to be eaten). Hissers are good because they're hardy and their little hiss is adorable, and they hardly burrow and will come up on your hand etc. I habe a few hissers and they're awesome, don't need a big tank unless you're planning on having a big colony. Baby roahes can live with the others as soon as they're born too.

Chimera

Arachnosquire
Male katydids are the only ones that sing IME. You can probably get katydids online or catch your own, also there are some legal stick insects in America. As for huntsmans, they have heaps of young but if you put an add up for a particularly sought after species they get eaten up super fast by buyers.

Dennis Nedry had a rather grizzly death in the book didn't he? ;)
Huh, interesting. And yes, he did! Have you read The Lost World as well? I think I like it even better than the first one, if that's possible!

You should go with roaches. They can also live with other inverts like mantids and millipedes, so long as they're all similarly sized (except mantids, they're too fast to be eaten). Hissers are good because they're hardy and their little hiss is adorable, and they hardly burrow and will come up on your hand etc. I habe a few hissers and they're awesome, don't need a big tank unless you're planning on having a big colony. Baby roahes can live with the others as soon as they're born too.
Another vote for roaches! I think they'll be the inverts I'll be going for, now just to settle on a species...

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Huh, interesting. And yes, he did! Have you read The Lost World as well? I think I like it even better than the first one, if that's possible!

Another vote for roaches! I think they'll be the inverts I'll be going for, now just to settle on a species...
I did read the lost world! The carnotaurus scene was super weird but unique.

Back on the original topic, yeah roaches seem like a good choice. There's heaps of colourful and impressive species out here

Chimera

Arachnosquire
I did read the lost world! The carnotaurus scene was super weird but unique.

Back on the original topic, yeah roaches seem like a good choice. There's heaps of colourful and impressive species out here
I'm asking for that book for Christmas! And I don't think I remember that exact part... clearly a sign I need to read it again ;)

I particularly love ultra big roaches :astonished:

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
I'm asking for that book for Christmas! And I don't think I remember that exact part... clearly a sign I need to read it again ;)

I particularly love ultra big roaches :astonished:
If you want to go the cheap route go for one of the big cave roaches, hissers or orange head roaches, if you're prepared to spend a bit go for giant burrowing cockroaches