What invert should I get?

Chimera

Arachnosquire
Hello everyone! I just joined and I'm hoping to get some help with deciding where to start with inverts. I've never owned any before, but I love learning about them and have had a lot of experience with other critters. I wasn't sure where this should be posted, as it concerns all types of inverts, so hopefully this is an okay board to put it in!

Okay, so a bit about what I'm looking for. First off, I would really like an invert I can breed. I am NOT looking to breed for profit... If I can recoup some of the care costs through selling, awesome! But that is not why I'm interesting in breeding. The miracle of life just fascinates me and I really would like to see it up close.

Also, another really important thing for me is to be able to watch them. So I'd want an active and preferably diurnal invert, which I know really cuts down on the possibilities. Being able to handle my inverts would be a plus, but isn't a deal breaker.

Cost wise, I'm not broke or anything, but I'm not looking to invest hundreds of dollars right off. I am a bit limited on space, but I could certainly accommodate two or three 10 gal. tanks, or a 20-30 gal.

As I'm limited space-wise, I want inverts that either can live communally, or can be communal for a few months after they are born, giving me time to find proper homes for them.

I would really love to avoid a species that needs constant crickets, as I find them stinky and loud. However, I am very comfortable feeding worms, isopods, roaches, springtails, fruit flies, etc.

Lastly, I am NOT looking to breed a feeder animal. I want to sell them as pets or tank cleaners.

Still with me? Awesome! Some species I've been considering...

-Millipedes. I love the variety offered in the trade, but I feel like they would be constantly burrowing in their substrate and I'd never see them. Plus, because of their secretive nature, I imagine I wouldn't really get to see the whole reproduction process.
-Centipedes. So much NOPE.
-Beetles. There are some lovely species, but I hear that they take a very long time to turn into hard-shelled beauties, and I would like something that would mature a bit faster.
-Roaches. These are one of the most appealing species to me, but I feel like I would have difficulty selling any young offspring. The most impressively colored or sized species are not so impressive as nymphs, so I feel like it would be very hard to rehome any significant number of them.
-Mantids. I don't love their short lifespan, but I could deal with it. My biggest concerns are: cannibalism (seeing my pets eats their mates or offspring would just kind of disturb me...), and not being able to keep them in communities (due to aforementioned cannibalism). With how many eggs they produce, I would not look forward to separating each animal and feeding them individually.
-Isopods. I like them, but they're just so small, and I feel like they aren't generally kept as pets anyway.
-Tarantulas. I've heard they're generally pretty inactive, they can't live communally, have a lot of young, AND there are so many T breeders already out there already.
-Scorpions. Cool, but all the cons of tarantulas apply to scorps as well.
-Butterflies/moths. Beautiful, but I couldn't bear to keep such a creature in a cage. In my opinion, those types of animals deserve to remain free.
-Aquatics. Not a chance, I already have a stocked aquarium and I just generally don't love the look of aquatics.
-True spiders. Doesn't pretty much every species have a TON of young? And I'll admit, I find some species a bit creepy.
-Harvestmen. They fit pretty much all my criteria... but seriously, who is going to buy daddy longlegs when they are so common?
-Ants. Simply not interested.
-Pseudoscorpions. Adorable, but very small and hard to find.
-Vinegaroons. I really like the look of them, but the local exotics shop that I would hopefully sell most of my offspring to already carries them. This same problem applies to most T's and scorps as well.
-Whipspiders. By FAR the most tempting option... but they're nocturnal. I'd never see them...

I know I'm being rather picky and it's very possible that what I'm looking for simply doesn't exist. Most of the species above aren't completely ruled out, but if there is something I haven't considered, or a species that I don't know enough about...

I just want to know all my options. If you've gotten this far, thank you SO much for reading this. I want to hear as many opinions as possible! And I really hope I don't sound like a brat, rejecting species after species... I just really want to find the right fit for me.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I say that you for sure go with some roaches. I own quite a few species, and they are some of my favorites as a nice display cage. There are so many species as well, each with their own "personality". For example, I just biught a small colony of Eublaberus sp. ivory. They may not be huge, but they are gorgeous as both nymphs and adults IMO. Also, I love the Gyna genus if you want an awesome display cage. I have Gyna caffrorum, and they are amazing. If you look up some pics, both nymphs and adults are pretty stunning. In the evening, mine become really active and run throughout the leaves. Mine have not bred yet, but they are super easy. However, if you really want an awesome roach species for pets, it has to be any of the hissing roach species. (Honestly, of curious, just browse at Roach Crossing; the best diversity out there) To me, they seem to match all of what you want. At the very least, both of my species are active, even in the day. As evening comes though, they all come out to eat and interact. They are impressive bugs too, which makes (to me) a good display. They hiss as well, which is really interesting. Especially from a biological standpoint, listening to them communicate with different hissing is cool ;) You can also hold them, as they are hard to harm with even a far fall. They may have dark colors as young nymphs, but the adults are gorgeous. Just look up flat horn hissers and halloween hissers. They are super easy to breed as well. Mine gave birth a few months ago, without me doing anything "abnormal". You probably won't have a problem selling them either, people love them. Plus, breeding is pretty slow, so as long as you don't give them a ton of heat, breeding will be few and far between. Plus, they need little space (ten gal suffices) and can live in a huge communal tank.

Sorry for the long post, just love roaches :D Love to get anyone to take the plunge ;)

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
-Millipedes. I love the variety offered in the trade, but I feel like they would be constantly burrowing in their substrate and I'd never see them. Plus, because of their secretive nature, I imagine I wouldn't really get to see the whole reproduction process.

-Isopods. I like them, but they're just so small, and I feel like they aren't generally kept as pets anyway.

-Vinegaroons. I really like the look of them, but the local exotics shop that I would hopefully sell most of my offspring to already carries them. This same problem applies to most T's and scorps as well.

-Whipspiders. By FAR the most tempting option... but they're nocturnal. I'd never see them...

I know I'm being rather picky and it's very possible that what I'm looking for simply doesn't exist. Most of the species above aren't completely ruled out, but if there is something I haven't considered, or a species that I don't know enough about...

I just want to know all my options. If you've gotten this far, thank you SO much for reading this. I want to hear as many opinions as possible! And I really hope I don't sound like a brat, rejecting species after species... I just really want to find the right fit for me.
Here are my two cents:
I see my millipedes at the surface quite a bit, and while it is true that the eggs are hidden, it is fun to find tiny pedelings!

There are some fairly large and fantastically colored/patterns of Isopods making their way into the hobby. Check out the ‘Captive Isopoda’ website...you just might be amazed at what is available. I’m up to 19 different types, and counting! Many of them are purely ‘hobby’ species, though I culture the utilitarian types too.

I see my vinegaroons a lot, I really like them. They aren’t the most prolific breeders, and whatever you produced you could very likely sell here on AB.

If you like whipspiders, give them a try. I have raised my Damon diadema from tiny whiplings, I see them all the time...enclosure design can allow for visibility and their comfort and security.

Chimera

Arachnosquire
I say that you for sure go with some roaches. I own quite a few species, and they are some of my favorites as a nice display cage. There are so many species as well, each with their own "personality". For example, I just biught a small colony of Eublaberus sp. ivory. They may not be huge, but they are gorgeous as both nymphs and adults IMO. Also, I love the Gyna genus if you want an awesome display cage. I have Gyna caffrorum, and they are amazing. If you look up some pics, both nymphs and adults are pretty stunning. In the evening, mine become really active and run throughout the leaves. Mine have not bred yet, but they are super easy. However, if you really want an awesome roach species for pets, it has to be any of the hissing roach species. (Honestly, of curious, just browse at Roach Crossing; the best diversity out there) To me, they seem to match all of what you want. At the very least, both of my species are active, even in the day. As evening comes though, they all come out to eat and interact. They are impressive bugs too, which makes (to me) a good display. They hiss as well, which is really interesting. Especially from a biological standpoint, listening to them communicate with different hissing is cool ;) You can also hold them, as they are hard to harm with even a far fall. They may have dark colors as young nymphs, but the adults are gorgeous. Just look up flat horn hissers and halloween hissers. They are super easy to breed as well. Mine gave birth a few months ago, without me doing anything "abnormal". You probably won't have a problem selling them either, people love them. Plus, breeding is pretty slow, so as long as you don't give them a ton of heat, breeding will be few and far between. Plus, they need little space (ten gal suffices) and can live in a huge communal tank.

Sorry for the long post, just love roaches :D Love to get anyone to take the plunge ;)
Thanks for your answer! I love long posts :) And haha, Roach Crossing has been bookmarked on my laptop for months! They do have some very pretty roaches... I actually sent an inquiry about their Archimandrita tesselata about a week ago. No response as of yet, though. Your breeding point is a very good one- I imagine I could kind of control the population by adding and removing heat as needed. Hmm... I still live at home, however, and I can only imagine my mother's response to the idea of a roach colony...

Ghost mantis, jumping spider, southern house spider.
Thanks for your input, jumping spiders are pretty darn adorable!

Here are my two cents:
I see my millipedes at the surface quite a bit, and while it is true that the eggs are hidden, it is fun to find tiny pedelings!

There are some fairly large and fantastically colored/patterns of Isopods making their way into the hobby. Check out the ‘Captive Isopoda’ website...you just might be amazed at what is available. I’m up to 19 different types, and counting! Many of them are purely ‘hobby’ species, though I culture the utilitarian types too.

I see my vinegaroons a lot, I really like them. They aren’t the most prolific breeders, and whatever you produced you could very likely sell here on AB.

If you like whipspiders, give them a try. I have raised my Damon diadema from tiny whiplings, I see them all the time...enclosure design can allow for visibility and their comfort and security.
I'll have to check out that site, though I don't know if I'd really find an isopod to suit my taste... I like BIG inverts! How would you design an enclosure for a whip like that? My idea was to get a 20 gal. high tank and glue a partition in the center (since I was thinking of Florida whips, which don't need that much space), and that way I'd have two vertically oriented enclosures.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Thanks for your answer! I love long posts :) And haha, Roach Crossing has been bookmarked on my laptop for months! They do have some very pretty roaches... I actually sent an inquiry about their Archimandrita tesselata about a week ago. No response as of yet, though. Your breeding point is a very good one- I imagine I could kind of control the population by adding and removing heat as needed. Hmm... I still live at home, however, and I can only imagine my mother's response to the idea of a roach colony...

Thanks for your input, jumping spiders are pretty darn adorable!

I'll have to check out that site, though I don't know if I'd really find an isopod to suit my taste... I like BIG inverts! How would you design an enclosure for a whip like that? My idea was to get a 20 gal. high tank and glue a partition in the center (since I was thinking of Florida whips, which don't need that much space), and that way I'd have two vertically oriented enclosures.
I had to go through the same with my Mom ;) She was a little more open about it (since I had kept tarantulas before). Best way to convince people IME: facts. Less than 1% of roaches are pest species that live in people's houses. This is because most of the thousands can't survive in a clean, low humidity household by themselves. Although, I think your best bet would be to say that 1. They are "exotic" roaches that die if they escape. I had my hisser colony give birth without me knowing. Turns out, about 10-15 babies escaped out of the ventilation holes. Found three dead and the others around my room every so often. Especially for hissers, they couldn't reproduce in 65-70 F very well if at all. They usually abort any babies. Just a thought, I really dislike the bad rap roaches get. Now, after keeping them, they are my Mom's favorites :D Btw, Cape Cod Roaches is another great site. Never used them, just know that Kyle is a little backed up. Just recently moved to a new location, so he is majorly swamped with orders I'm sure. If you can't find anything, you could always post on the classifieds here. Many people have A. tesselata, I guaruntee you ;) Here are mine, just as a taste:

Attachments

Chimera

Arachnosquire
I had to go through the same with my Mom ;) She was a little more open about it (since I had kept tarantulas before). Best way to convince people IME: facts. Less than 1% of roaches are pest species that live in people's houses. This is because most of the thousands can't survive in a clean, low humidity household by themselves. Although, I think your best bet would be to say that 1. They are "exotic" roaches that die if they escape. I had my hisser colony give birth without me knowing. Turns out, about 10-15 babies escaped out of the ventilation holes. Found three dead and the others around my room every so often. Especially for hissers, they couldn't reproduce in 65-70 F very well if at all. They usually abort any babies. Just a thought, I really dislike the bad rap roaches get. Now, after keeping them, they are my Mom's favorites :D Btw, Cape Cod Roaches is another great site. Never used them, just know that Kyle is a little backed up. Just recently moved to a new location, so he is majorly swamped with orders I'm sure. If you can't find anything, you could always post on the classifieds here. Many people have A. tesselata, I guaruntee you ;) Here are mine, just as a taste:
I like the exotic statement, my mom might actually go for that! I'll have to check out Cape Cod Roaches, it sounds vaguely familiar but I don't think I've checked it recently. Ooh, I might have to keep my eye on the classifieds. Is shipping within the US generally super expensive, or does it just depend on the seller? I love the pics! Really stupid question though... the second and third pics definitely look like peppered roaches, but surely the first one isn't? If it is, that's a crazy looking nymph o_O

Hey, since you're a roach keeper and I'm sure Kyle is too busy to answer my questions any time soon, could I ask you a few (or maybe more than a few) questions? If you have the time, I'm happy to post them here or in a PM!

Chickenfeeder100

Arachnosquire
Not interested in ANTs!?:( But anyways, depending where you live, most ants of the genus
Formica and camponotus are good. The only problem with camponotus is that colony growth is
Extremely slow during the first two years but the pros outweigh the cons. If you managed to obtain camponotus novaboracensis or other camponotus species, they have big majors and super majors and they're just big ants. Lasius species are also good but they are pretty small and they have humongous colonies, up to 50,000 or more. With Formica, they're medium sized ants, not polymorphic which is a bummer, and (this applies to all large or medium sized ant queens) they are easily stressed and checking them too much can cause them to eat their eggs.
If you're able to find pheidole ants, good on you. They can have multiple queens and have majors but they're are also relatively small. The ants I recommend are tetramorium spp. E. They are relatively small, rather aggressive, they do have a stinger but it doesn't hurt at all (I stuck my hand in a tetramorium colony once and it took a lot of ants to actually hurt me) they aren't picky and their colonies don't grow to big.

Chimera

Arachnosquire
Not interested in ANTs!?:( But anyways, depending where you live, most ants of the genus
Formica and camponotus are good. The only problem with camponotus is that colony growth is
Extremely slow during the first two years but the pros outweigh the cons. If you managed to obtain camponotus novaboracensis or other camponotus species, they have big majors and super majors and they're just big ants. Lasius species are also good but they are pretty small and they have humongous colonies, up to 50,000 or more. With Formica, they're medium sized ants, not polymorphic which is a bummer, and (this applies to all large or medium sized ant queens) they are easily stressed and checking them too much can cause them to eat their eggs.
If you're able to find pheidole ants, good on you. They can have multiple queens and have majors but they're are also relatively small. The ants I recommend are tetramorium spp. E. They are relatively small, rather aggressive, they do have a stinger but it doesn't hurt at all (I stuck my hand in a tetramorium colony once and it took a lot of ants to actually hurt me) they aren't picky and their colonies don't grow to big.
My lack of interest is actually a little ironic, considering that as a kid, I LOVED ants. I would always gather them up with my bare hands and bring them inside- you can imagine how much my mom liked that! :D But, now... I'm just not interested in them as pets. I guess that I just don't like how I can't really interact with them... I know I said lack of handleablity wasn't a deal breaker, but I might have been kid-

WHAT JUST HAPPENED?! I hit one wrong key and it went back the homepage, but I went forward and most of my response was still there. WHAT IS THIS DRAFT-SAVING MAGIC?! :astonished:

Anyway, I might have been kidding myself. I really like handling my pets. But even if I don't intend on keeping them, I'll look into the species you suggested out of pure curiosity. Maybe I'll find a bit of that ant-crazed child still in me, haha! Thanks for your response!

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Ivory millipedes are almost always topside. I think I have about 20 in my adult enclosure and there are nearly always a dozen or so crawling about. Their life cycle is amazing; I love seeing the eggs wrapped in feces and the protonymphs and the tiny pedelings......

Isopods may be small, but... I have 6 species and I don't look at them often, but every time I do I am mesmerized. They are so comical, active and busy. I could watch them for hours. I think ants are pretty interesting to watch, too, but you dissed them! o_O

You are doing great research; it seems you already know a lot about these species you are asking. Whatever you end up with will be perfect with this kind of thought provoking questions. It's easier to have things ready and prepared than to find out your container won't hold your pet or you food won't keep it alive!

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Here are my two cents:

That is an awesome Isopod site. I think I need some skirted Isopods.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is an awesome Isopod site. I think I need some skirted Isopods.
Skirted Isopods are pretty neat! I bought some from Peter at Bugsincyberspace a couple of years ago, and now I have a thriving colony!

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In answer to your question about designing an enclosure, check out this thread:
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/alternatives-to-cork-bark-in-amblypygids-enclosures.280900/page-2
I built two enclosures based on this model, and though it have replaced the backing with cork bark, both types work well, take up little space, and allow for good visibility.

By the way, I guess we’re neighbors...both in Utah!

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
-Mantids. I don't love their short lifespan, but I could deal with it. My biggest concerns are: cannibalism (seeing my pets eats their mates or offspring would just kind of disturb me...), and not being able to keep them in communities (due to aforementioned cannibalism). With how many eggs they produce, I would not look forward to separating each animal and feeding them individually.
I would like to let you know I have kept 3 P. paradoxa aka ghost mantis together successfully, even on a light feeding schedule there have been no attempts at cannibalism so far and I have had them since June.

Chimera

Arachnosquire
Ivory millipedes are almost always topside. I think I have about 20 in my adult enclosure and there are nearly always a dozen or so crawling about. Their life cycle is amazing; I love seeing the eggs wrapped in feces and the protonymphs and the tiny pedelings......

Isopods may be small, but... I have 6 species and I don't look at them often, but every time I do I am mesmerized. They are so comical, active and busy. I could watch them for hours. I think ants are pretty interesting to watch, too, but you dissed them! o_O

You are doing great research; it seems you already know a lot about these species you are asking. Whatever you end up with will be perfect with this kind of thought provoking questions. It's easier to have things ready and prepared than to find out your container won't hold your pet or you food won't keep it alive!
I have heard that about ivories, and they are awfully pretty! Aren't isopods generally burrowers, though? So how do you watch them? Oh, I didn't mean to sound like I was dissing ants :( They're fascinating creatures, just not he right pet for me personally.

Thank you! I do pride myself on being a relatively thorough researcher... and animal-related research is downright fun! :D

In answer to your question about designing an enclosure, check out this thread:
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/alternatives-to-cork-bark-in-amblypygids-enclosures.280900/page-2
I built two enclosures based on this model, and though it have replaced the backing with cork bark, both types work well, take up little space, and allow for good visibility.

By the way, I guess we’re neighbors...both in Utah!
Ooh, thanks so much for the link! Those are some nice looking setups. Haha, hello neighbor! *waves*

I would like to let you know I have kept 3 P. paradoxa aka ghost mantis together successfully, even on a light feeding schedule there have been no attempts at cannibalism so far and I have had them since June.
Oh? Ghost mantids are pretty cool looking... I'll have to look into them further. Thanks for the info!

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ivory millipedes are cheap, readily available, play nicely together, and are in general super active. Philippine blue millipedes are similar, though much harder to find and are quite a bit more expensive.

-Beetles. There are some lovely species, but I hear that they take a very long time to turn into hard-shelled beauties, and I would like something that would mature a bit faster.
Various species of tenebrionid are fast growing and can easily reach adulthood in a year. The adults are diurnal and very entertaining to watch as they lumber around. Maintenance is pretty low too, other than having to separate larvae to get them to pupate. @Hisserdude is our resident teneb expert, so he can tell you plenty more about them.

-Roaches. These are one of the most appealing species to me, but I feel like I would have difficulty selling any young offspring. The most impressively colored or sized species are not so impressive as nymphs, so I feel like it would be very hard to rehome any significant number of them.
Depending on the species, you shouldn't have trouble selling extras. While domino roaches are rather slow growing, they sell very well and I see adults running around at all times of day. The nymphs are fuzzy too. I saw Gyna caffrorum mentioned above, if you want some of those (or Gyna lurida) my colony is booming and I actually need to put up an ad for them. PM me if interested. Should have Gyna centurio available soon, but they tend to be more secretive than the other species.

Some larger species have made their way into the hobby, many of which are nicely colored or patterned. Armadillidum maculatum is readily available and sells well once you get offspring. They're pretty active too.

-Tarantulas. I've heard they're generally pretty inactive, they can't live communally, have a lot of young, AND there are so many T breeders already out there already.
Some are more active, though I think it depends on the species and the individual. And more active definitely doesn't mean active lol. It just means comes out of its hide every now and then.

Smeringurus mesaensis. Active, sizeable, feisty. Fun species to keep! Venom is mild too. You basically get the attitude of a buthid without the nasty venom.

-Butterflies/moths. Beautiful, but I couldn't bear to keep such a creature in a cage. In my opinion, those types of animals deserve to remain free.
High maintenance. Caterpillars will need fresh food daily or every other day if you push it. Can be fun to rear out native caterpillars and release them once they reach adulthood though.

-True spiders. Doesn't pretty much every species have a TON of young? And I'll admit, I find some species a bit creepy.
Most have tons of slings, but some species don't. Kukulcania hibernalis may be a good choice for you. Tend to have smaller sacs, but are good looking and live for quite a while.

-Harvestmen. They fit pretty much all my criteria... but seriously, who is going to buy daddy longlegs when they are so common?
Vonones ornata. Flashy and relatively easy to breed. Cannibalism may become an issue if they don't have enough food. Fishflakes are happily accepted though, so they make an easy addition.

Breeding isn't easy. They tend to be a bit reclusive though if properly set up.

Mine have tended to be reasonably active. If not active, I can look in at any time and find them (though that's due to the setup). Super fun to watch hunt when hungry.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I have heard that about ivories, and they are awfully pretty! Aren't isopods generally burrowers, though? So how do you watch them? Oh, I didn't mean to sound like I was dissing ants :( They're fascinating creatures, just not he right pet for me personally.

Thank you! I do pride myself on being a relatively thorough researcher... and animal-related research is downright fun! :D
My isopods don't burrow too often. I always see them waving their antennae and poking in and about things. Just cute.

Chimera

Arachnosquire
Ivory millipedes are cheap, readily available, play nicely together, and are in general super active. Philippine blue millipedes are similar, though much harder to find and are quite a bit more expensive.

Various species of tenebrionid are fast growing and can easily reach adulthood in a year. The adults are diurnal and very entertaining to watch as they lumber around. Maintenance is pretty low too, other than having to separate larvae to get them to pupate. @Hisserdude is our resident teneb expert, so he can tell you plenty more about them.

Depending on the species, you shouldn't have trouble selling extras. While domino roaches are rather slow growing, they sell very well and I see adults running around at all times of day. The nymphs are fuzzy too. I saw Gyna caffrorum mentioned above, if you want some of those (or Gyna lurida) my colony is booming and I actually need to put up an ad for them. PM me if interested. Should have Gyna centurio available soon, but they tend to be more secretive than the other species.

Some larger species have made their way into the hobby, many of which are nicely colored or patterned. Armadillidum maculatum is readily available and sells well once you get offspring. They're pretty active too.

Some are more active, though I think it depends on the species and the individual. And more active definitely doesn't mean active lol. It just means comes out of its hide every now and then.

Smeringurus mesaensis. Active, sizeable, feisty. Fun species to keep! Venom is mild too. You basically get the attitude of a buthid without the nasty venom.

High maintenance. Caterpillars will need fresh food daily or every other day if you push it. Can be fun to rear out native caterpillars and release them once they reach adulthood though.

Most have tons of slings, but some species don't. Kukulcania hibernalis may be a good choice for you. Tend to have smaller sacs, but are good looking and live for quite a while.

Vonones ornata. Flashy and relatively easy to breed. Cannibalism may become an issue if they don't have enough food. Fishflakes are happily accepted though, so they make an easy addition.

Breeding isn't easy. They tend to be a bit reclusive though if properly set up.

Mine have tended to be reasonably active. If not active, I can look in at any time and find them (though that's due to the setup). Super fun to watch hunt when hungry.
Wow, thanks for taking the time to address so many of the options! Hmm, maybe I should reconsider ivories then.

I would love if Hisserdude could chip in, if he has the time!

And it's very helpful to know that I might be able to get some Gyna roaches on here. I want to do a bit more research first, but if I decide I'm interested in them, I'll definitely PM you!

I'm still not very warmed up to the idea of isopods, but I'm not completely ruling them out.

Hehe, yeah, I've heard T's be likened to a pet rock...

Ooh, Smeringurus mesaensis is a beautiful scorp!

I actually have done that with some caterpillars collected in a canyon, when I was really young. I brought two home, and put them in a tiny jar with some leaves. I clearly had no idea what I was doing, so when the first one spun a cocoon hanging from the plastic wrap stretched over the top of the jar, my mom told me that it was probably "getting ready to die". To my joy and amazement though, a moth emerged! The second one survived as well, and I set them both free.... Ah, good times...

Hm, Kukulcania hibernalis definitely piques my interest, I'll add it to my "need to research" list.

I actually have heard of Vonones ornata, and considered starting a colony. Flashy or not, I still feel like I'd have difficulty having someone take any off my hands. I could be wrong though, further research would probably be helpful.

Yep, I've pretty much ruled out vinegaroons at this point.

Yeah? As I said I am very tempted by whips.. they are just SO cool looking!

Thanks again for your input! :)

My isopods don't burrow too often. I always see them waving their antennae and poking in and about things. Just cute.
Hmm... I admit that my only experience with isopods, or "potato bugs", as I called them as a child, was in my backyard. I generally had to dig around in a flower bed to find any of the elusive creatures.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You're welcome!

Care for the easier Gyna sp. (caffrorum, lurida, centurio): couple inches of cocofiber with various "chunks" mixed in. Chunks can be rotting hardwoods, dead leaves, cypress mulch, even coconut husk chunks. Both caffrorum and lurida can work with a "smoother" substrate, but centurio needs the chunks. Room temp is fine, though a few degrees warmer doesn't hurt. Keep on the drier side though mist with some frequency or you can keep the lower levels of the substrate damp at all times with a dry top layer. You'll still need to mist because the roaches tend to circulate the substrate as they move around. For food, if it's edible they will probably devour it, doubly so when you get a larger colony. I throw pieces of dry cat food in there and within a couple seconds I can't see it anymore because it's covered with nymphs and slowly sinking beneath the surface. All fruits and veggies have been happily taken. Nymphs burrow some but are frequently found on the surface. Adults can climb and fly and are happy to do it after dark. If you do maintenance during the day they tend to hunker down and not move or quickly burrow down in the substrate. One of the odds things I've noticed about my caffrorum colony is that when I open the lid there's a slight grapey smell. Weirdest thing, but I like it.

I'm not actually sure well V. ornata sells. Not many people offer them for sale anywhere, so it's hard to say (or maybe that's the answer right there).

Whips are definitely one of my favorites. Easy to keep, low maintenance and such an alien look. More species are slowly becoming available in the US too. FL species is getting harder to find, but I know several people that are breeding them, so hopefully the market will be flooded with whiplings soonish.

Oh, and to answer a question from further up, shipping will vary depending on what you're getting and how quickly you want to get it. Overnight costs more than priority. FedEx costs more than USPS. Venomous arachnids can be gray-area-legally shipped through FedEx, but it's a federal crime to ship them through USPS (whips are ok for USPS). Distance also plays a factor. Temps can matter too because it influences how the box is shipped. If it's cold, the shipper may need to purchase Styrofoam and a heat pack, the costs of which they may pass on to you. People may add on processing and handling fees too, but I don't think that's very common in the hobby.