what happens in the wild?

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i am wondering what happens in the wild if two mature male Ts happen upon a mature female at the same time when trying to find a mate???
do they battle it out for mating rights or what??:?
if they fight, how do they do it?
if they dont fight, then what do they do? take turns?

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just from knowing tarantulas in general I would assume they would attack each other. One would get wounded or both would get fatally wounded I think.

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have to wonder, in what manner would the two males compete??
would they wrestle?? would they just chase each other around trying to bite each other??
hmmmm anyone care to experiment and film it for me?
(i know i know that would be cruel and immoral....but hey i was just kidding unless someone actually wants to try it)
but surely someone has to know for a fact??
perhaps someone has documented it somewhere?

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Hardly cruel and immoral... we are after all, talking about primitive invertebrate organisms. The only way you could possibly attach morality to it is if you were tortuing them or trying to get them to kill each other on purpose, for no better reason than the thrill of it. However, if you think that science has advanced by catering to "animal rights", then you're in for a big shock. :) A lot of times, the only way to scientific discovery is the brutal, lethal way...

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Both would probably start fighting. And when both are exhausted, the female would come and finishes both off.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I bet they would test each others strength and one would back off. Ya think? :confused:

I'd like to try, problem is all the males are roaming now and are hard to find. All you can get from burrows right now is youngsters, sub-adults and females. By the way, I wouldn't let the boys kill each other. :)

Ern