What equipment should all Tarantula keepers have?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Long tongs/forceps at least 6" though the longer the better.
Catch cups... All over the place. I have 4 around the benches I keep my Ts on. That way if I need one it isn't out of reach.
A flashlight that does both red and white light. The red is good because it lets you see without bothering the T.
Water droppers and syringes for watering and adding moisture to substrate.
Long handled paint brushes to gently move/guide the T if needed.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head.

@EulersK made a great video on the subject and can drop you a link.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Okay what about if the T gets injured? What can i use to help it?
That greatly depends on the injury. The best thing is to have the right setup for the T you get to reduce the chances of injury happening. Is there a certain injury you are concerned with?

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Long tongs/forceps at least 6" though the longer the better.
Catch cups... All over the place. I have 4 around the benches I keep my Ts on. That way if I need one it isn't out of reach.
A flashlight that does both red and white light. The red is good because it lets you see without bothering the T.
Water droppers and syringes for watering and adding moisture to substrate.
Long handled paint brushes to gently move/guide the T if needed.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head.
In addition straws are useful for checking their temperament, tape is great for removing hairs, and medical alcohol is useful to have at hand if you´re unlucky and get bitten.

RMJ

Arachnosquire
Okay what about if the T gets injured? What can i use to help it?
please elaborate on how? either poor husbandry or leaving feeders in there too long come to mind? either way, a T kept in captivity by a responsible keeper shouldnt be or get injured.

Chad Peace

Arachnosquire
Well lets say if the T fell and hurt itself or because of poor husbandry. (This hasnt happened i just want to make sure i have everything and i am prepared for everything)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
please elaborate on how? either poor husbandry or leaving feeders in there too long come to mind? either way, a T kept in captivity by a responsible keeper shouldnt be or get injured.
I think they are asking in general for information not that they have an injured T. A setup can reduce the injuries a T gets but you can still have lost legs and other problems due to molting issues etc.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Well lets say if the T fell and hurt itself or because of poor husbandry. (This hasnt happened i just want to make sure i have everything and i am prepared for everything)
Making sure the distance from the substrate is around 1.5 times the leg span of the T will prevent most injuries from falling. If you have a hard hide you could bury all but the door under substrate to keep it from being a falling hazard.

If a leg is lost in the fall the T can handle it themselves. If the abdomen or carapace is cracked you can try to put something on the crack to seal it. I've seen people use flour and medic spray and a ton of other things with varying results. Mostly, I think it has to do with how bad the break is.

Ceymann

Arachnoknight
To answer the question about tarantula injury, the thing that was recommended back in the day was to use a first aid product called liquid skin to close the wound up.
Not sure if that advice is outdated or not though.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I use only long, and little (notably after those years I prefer the little ones) tongs. My "catch cup" never betrayed me since '92 and I still use the same: a plastic container, clear, with holes, big enough to fit every adult Theraphosidae from a dwarf one to a genus Theraphosa.
I put under a solid piece of cardboard, and I use that old school system for move my T's, from lazy pet rocks to high strung.

Same system for slings, just using little items.

Nothing else. Never had an escape, a bite, injuries of all sort. Not because I'm lucky only :-s

Sana

Arachnoprince
If I'm ever in a position where I need something to put on a break on the exoskeleton I think that flour would be my preference over liquid skin or super glue type products. Seems to me that if it actually works flour is less likely to cause an issue during the next molt.

Chad Peace

Arachnosquire
Oh and could you answer one more question from me please, im gettin a chromatopelma cyaneopubescens and want your surggestions on what enclosure i should buy, thank you again for the help

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Oh and could you answer one more question from me please, im gettin a chromatopelma cyaneopubescens and want your surggestions on what enclosure i should buy, thank you again for the help
Depends on a number of factors. What's the size of the spider? What's your budget for an enclosure?

Chad Peace

Arachnosquire
Well im not sure on the size of spider but for when it has matured and budget will be £100/$130

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Everyone has covered everything already but I'd like to add one thing that was missed, non powder coated latex gloves. Those can come in handy when dealing with those hair kickers especially if you find yourself sensitive to UH.