What enclosures are suitable for a subadult/adult Aphonopelma Chalcodes?

Snowy Snowman

Arachnosquire
Hey all, I just saw that a tarantula breeder which I've ordered from before is having a sale on A. Chalcodes subadults/adults. I have a bit of tarantula money left and I've decided to purchase a specimen, as they are one of the species on my wishlist. However, to go by the 3x legspan rule, I would need a 12" to 16" enclosure, which is a 10 gal. I was wondering, if I make sure the substrate is high enough so it can't injure itself, would this be okay? It's the only option I can really afford.

cold blood

Staff member
Hey all, I just saw that a tarantula breeder which I've ordered from before is having a sale on A. Chalcodes subadults/adults. I have a bit of tarantula money left and I've decided to purchase a specimen, as they are one of the species on my wishlist. However, to go by the 3x legspan rule, I would need a 12" to 16" enclosure, which is a 10 gal. I was wondering, if I make sure the substrate is high enough so it can't injure itself, would this be okay? It's the only option I can really afford.
sterilits tubs are cheaper and easier to ventilate.

But yes, as long as you add enough sub and dont use a screen top it would be fine.

Snowy Snowman

Arachnosquire
sterilits tubs are cheaper and easier to ventilate.

But yes, as long as you add enough sub and dont use a screen top it would be fine.
Great! Thanks. That finalizes it, tomorrow I'll be very happy about a cardboard box!