What does everyone feed their slings?

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I tend to feed mine bean weevils, and sometimes a half small cricket, although one of my slings seem to frightened of the bean weevil and runs away lol
I tried bean weevils early on as they seemed ideal -- small and no mouths to endanger the sling -- but none were ever eaten. I usually feed my slings cut up crickets, mealworms or Pycnoscelus surinamensis roaches until my colony crashed. o_O I occasionally feed them fruit flies or small roach nymphs when I have an abundance to give the slings hunting practice. :playful:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I feed mine cut up pieces of dubia roaches. All my slings eat cut up food great until they are large enough to be fed the tiniest whole nymphs.

I've not ever needed to go out and get special feeders for slings. They scavenge really well. One thing a lot of people don't realize is that they fill up rather quickly at that size. I offer mine food once a week but often the cut piece is a pretty large meal for them. They eat all they want and I clean out the rest.

Last edited:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Prekilled (frozen and then thawed out) small crickets until the slings get over 3/4 of an inch, and then they get live crickets.

Last edited:

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I used to breed mealworms, then superworms, so I usually had a steady supply of properly-sized worms. Otherwise, pinhead crickets, fruitflies, and bean weevils. (@ThisMeansWAR Callosobruchus maculatus, if you're curious) Stupidly easy to culture, but I'd agree that some slings were a bit tentative or dismissive. Although I've had juvies that'd snap up as many as they could fit in their chelicerae, like hamsters cramming hazelnuts.

keks

Arachnobaron
I fed my Cyriocosmus perezmilesi offspring first springtails, then pea aphids, and the next size were micro crickets.
Pea aphids are great feeders to tiny slings. They are not very fast, and smooth. And they don't harm the slings. Breeding them is not very difficult, I managed it without any troubles ^^.
My roach colonies were always a disaster, I don't try it anymore :bag: .

forfun

Arachnopeon
cut up mealworms, small crickets and maggots. I recommend maggots they are very cheap where i live :)

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
I crushed the head of a small/medium sized meal-worm and put it in with my .5/.75" Acanthoscurria geniculata the other day, just to see how it went. It went very well and now i just give her the smallest crickets i can find alive in the box. Initiating tank mode :vamp:

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pea aphids are great feeders to tiny slings. They are not very fast, and smooth. And they don't harm the slings. Breeding them is not very difficult, I managed it without any troubles ^^.
I noticed pea aphids on Dartfrog.co.uk when I was browsing, a few days ago. Tempting, just to see if I could culture them, though I don't have anything to feed them to. A situation that could easily be remedied.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I feed mine Locust , I get the medium size ones and feed the slings cut up bits of to big which have been pre killed . My others get a live one , and if their in premoult i pre kill the Locust. I don't like the look of Crickets and their abit to fast for my slower Ts , and their owner !

TJ2000

Arachnopeon
I feed mine Locust , I get the medium size ones and feed the slings cut up bits of to big which have been pre killed . My others get a live one , and if their in premoult i pre kill the Locust. I don't like the look of Crickets and their abit to fast for my slower Ts , and their owner !
I just been sorting all the bad boys today, the 3 slings are so different 2 of them loved bits of mealworms, and the other turned his fangs up at it and walked off, but loved half a small cricket, I don't see T's being much different to humans when it comes to being fussy with food, if they were all like my Mastigoproctus Gigantea , they wouldn't care as long as they could eat it lol

Colette

Arachnopeon
I've got my P pulchra sling on mealworms. I killed the first one for him but he's taking live with no problem. I'll be trying him on locusts next as that's my usual feed.