What do You use for substrate?

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
I apologize if this is a thread that already exists, but I couldn't find it.

I used to use bio dude and reptisoil but have moved on to making my own mixture as it gets expensive real quick with any even medium sized collection. Usually a mix of top soil, excavator clay, and coco fiber. Most recently I found a landscaping type place near me that sells top soil which already has clay and sand among other things in it. I worked really hard to find this place because they actually list the ingredients of the dirt and exactly what's in it whereas at home depot it will just say "forest products". I live in the pnw and found most topsoil has a lot of conifer/pine in it which I've heard is bad for tarantulas (but I had to buy it in bulk for my snake which is actually why I was so concerned).

What do you use? What do you put in your mix? Do you use conifer products? And is it easy for you to find topsoil without conifer where you are?

Appreciate any input, I'm always looking to try new things and have far from perfected my dirt mix.
Clay based top soil , coco fiber ground and shredded, dry sphagnum moss broken it to tiny bits , fine vermiculite, sand and a sprinkle of activated charcoal for good measure . Its my version of @l4nsky 's humidity dependent mix. Turns out not only is it great for humidity lovers but works great dry for my dryer sp, I make it up in a giant tub n use as I need.

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
I buy Reptisoil when in a pinch, but i mainly mix my own. I have four 27 gallon bins. One with Peat Moss, one with coco fiber, one with top soil, and one with vermiculite. I also have a bin of play sand. I mix it in small batches depending on the properties I want for the species it will be used for. Usually a 60/30/10 mix of peat/coco/topsoil and the 10 being vermiculite. All organic of course. You just have to be careful with what you buy as organic can still have herbicides or fertilizers in it that could be harmful

invertinverts

Arachnopeon
You are smart to stay away from conifers, any odiferous would secretes oils that are toxic to invertebrates (and actually used as insect repellent, e.g. cedar wood oil). Also very toxic to cats FWIW.

Personally I use reptisoil for just about everyone, because I don't "trust" anything that's not specifically marketed for animals. You still have to read the label as many reptile and mammal products include pine products.

I have the luxury of living/accessing the native distribution for many Aphonopelma species, and collect native "loamy soil" but still trek a mile from any show of civilization to avoid chemicals.
Never thought about cats but yeah... I've always considered sneaking some dirt out of the state park to avoid chemicals but never have done it 😂. It's crazy what chemicals people are allowed to dump into the ground

Eco earth
Never tried that one before

Wo
Clay based top soil , coco fiber ground and shredded, dry sphagnum moss broken it to tiny bits , fine vermiculite, sand and a sprinkle of activated charcoal for good measure . Its my version of @l4nsky 's humidity dependent mix. Turns out not only is it great for humidity lovers but works great dry for my dryer sp, I make it up in a giant tub n use as I need.
Wow thanks sm for the reply! I really like the sound of that. Always been curious about activated charcoal so it may be time to give that a try. Also I've been wondering if people used vermiculite now so good to hear that. I really like it for plants so that might get thrown in as well

I buy Reptisoil when in a pinch, but i mainly mix my own. I have four 27 gallon bins. One with Peat Moss, one with coco fiber, one with top soil, and one with vermiculite. I also have a bin of play sand. I mix it in small batches depending on the properties I want for the species it will be used for. Usually a 60/30/10 mix of peat/coco/topsoil and the 10 being vermiculite. All organic of course. You just have to be careful with what you buy as organic can still have herbicides or fertilizers in it that could be harmful
Cool thanks so much! I think I'm going to try mixing some vermiculite in, I love it for plants it just holds water so well and rehydrates so fast

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
For me it depends on the species. Reptisoil works well for moisture dependent species. For fossorial spiders I like to use a mixture of mostly Reptisoil mixed with a small amount of sand. It doesn't mold and holds its shape well for burrows. For some more arid species (including desert scorpions) I use a mixture of excavator clay, sand, and coco fiber.