What do you use for arboreals?

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
Hey guys! I’m curious as to what you are using to house your adult arboreals. I was shopping for the bigger AMAC boxes for my Avic sp, and it came to me that my slings won’t stay small too long. I got sad. :(

Please don’t include the common Mainstay 1-gallon container or a tank flipped vertically. Those are too common :shifty:.
Please include a couple pictures, pros/cons, setup cost, and how long you’ve been using it. Thanks!

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
A couple of mine are outgrowing their AMACs so I’ve been searching for the same thing. Turns out there are all kinds of easy tricks for making good looking sling and juvie enclosures for cheap. Almost none for adult enclosures. I’ll tell you what I found.

Ebay has a couple of decent sized terrestrial acrylic enclosures that I thought maybe could be turnes on their side. They are like $25. I didn’t try them.

To make your own might be cheap if you are handy, have the right tools and don’t mess up at all. I couldn't find acrylic cheap enough to go this route because I know I’ll mess up at least once.

Some people buy a 5 gallon aquarium and make an acrylic door. I may do this at some point but I didn’t do that this time.

Enclosures like Jamies and tarantulaCages.com are $100+.

Finally what I did do. I got 2 Dalle Craft 8x8x12 enclosures off Amazon. They come in knockdown boxes for easy shipping. Some go together with nuts and bolts, the 8x8x12 uses a weird clear rubberband to hold things together. I hot glued the seams so it would be water tight. $40 each but they are sold out right now. I’m sure they’ll be back quickly though. For the price I like them. They look good and are way cheaper than most premade acrylic enclosures.

02C19163-980C-4796-8D08-8BA6E393FFD3.jpeg

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
Custom made glass enclosures. I pay glazier to cut glass for me, than build enclosure by myself.
Why glass isn't very popular here? Is it that expensive in US? Should be cheaper then acrylic.

My arboreal project :

boina

Lady of the mites
Glas enclosures like the one @Nonnack pictured, though I use double ventilation, one on top, one in front. You can buy them at every expo around here for cheap, but you can also make them yourselves from pre-cut glas.

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
Right now I'm using a standard ten gallon with a piece of glass in the center. Splits the terrestrial tank into two arboreal tanks. It may not be quite tall enough when she gets full sized, though. Shes only about three inches now.

I took a custom cut sheet of glass and divided a 10 gal tank down the center using aquarium silicone. I also added a piece of rigid weather stripping along the top of the glass to make sure it comes flush with the lid and there is no gap. I haven't had problems with the two spiders seeing or sensing each other; Im not sure if thats a thing.

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
Glas enclosures like the one @Nonnack pictured, though I use double ventilation, one on top, one in front. You can buy them at every expo around here for cheap, but you can also make them yourselves from pre-cut glas.
Yes, the ones with double ventilation are very popular. But when you make it by yourself you start to wonder how to make it simpler, cheaper, and easier to build;) So I replaced front vent by small gap. Its about 4mm, small enough that spider cant squeeze, but big enough to provide good cross ventilation.

boina

Lady of the mites
Right now I'm using a standard ten gallon with a piece of glass in the center. Splits the terrestrial tank into two arboreal tanks. It may not be quite tall enough when she gets full sized, though. Shes only about three inches now.

I took a custom cut sheet of glass and divided a 10 gal tank down the center using aquarium silicone. I also added a piece of rigid weather stripping along the top of the glass to make sure it comes flush with the lid and there is no gap. I haven't had problems with the two spiders seeing or sensing each other; Im not sure if thats a thing.
Good luck with that. I don't know how many threads I've seen around here where a setup like that ended with one spider eating the other... Can you open the lid for each half separately? Then I believe it may work. If not, and you have to open both halves at once, you have a good chance of ending up with one very fat spider at some point. As I said, there are a few threads around here about that.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
I got an Exo Terra from Amazon for $22 and that included free shipping with Prime. Hard to beat that IMO.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
1 gallon jars from Walmart. Big plastic tubs from Walmart. Tanks on their side with screen and barrier. Exo tera.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Hey guys! I’m curious as to what you are using to house your adult arboreals.

Please include a couple pictures, pros/cons, setup cost, and how long you’ve been using it. Thanks!
I have two Exo Terra Small/Tall (12" x 12" x 18"). One houses a 5" Avicularia avicularia. It's technically bigger than she needs, but she has a cool treehouse. (She has been living in there for three years.)

The second houses a 4.5" Psalmopoeus cambridgei. I tried a similar setup (with the addition of low cover). So far, she has not moved out of the mini log I placed at the bottom for her. She may never move into the treehouse (I should have made it vertical), but I hope she will at least build some cool dirt curtains below it. (She has been living in there for almost a year.)

There are about $20 worth of furnishings in each one (cork, foliage, water dishes, and a little substrate).

I will likely try something smaller and less expensive next time I get an arboreal.