What Do You Keep In an Emergency/First Aid Kit

Lil Paws

Arachnosquire
Would love to know what you all keep/recommend for first aid/emergency kits for your tarantulas. These guys need a hands-off approach most of the time to heal from an injury, but sometimes we have to step in. When you have had to intervene and what worked?

I have a catch cup and lots of paintbrushes (which we use regularly for rehousing anyhow), and super glue, but now it sounds like liquid skin may be better? I just realized today we should probably get some small carriers for the larger Ts in case we ever need to vacate quickly and have the time/ability to take everyone with us.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Most people recommend using flour or something similar over any sort of adhesive. This is because the adhesive could possibly stick to something inside the tarantula and basically rip it out with the next molt.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Nothing. Paintbrush, various tongs, catch cup/s and whatever are just part of my ordinary and necessary 'tools of the trade' since forever.

I would never use glue, super or not, and what else. A good 95% of those issues that require 'going the extra mile', in general, ends with a dead spider, this because the injuries were/are too serious in the first place (and, often, a result of wrong set up/s enclosures). Not even mention that, since there isn't exactly a 'written in stone' how to to follow (like, for instance, how the vets deal since forever with trusted medical operations like in the case of dogs/cats) those situations tends to end with always a 'DIY' approach.

Therefore my 'emergency kit' is one only: prevention, altough you can't deal with force majeure issues.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Would love to know what you all keep/recommend for first aid/emergency kits for your tarantulas.
I don't keep a first aid kit except for some tools for bad molt extraction. (I have only tried to use them once, but I think that tarantula was beyond saving.) I do have extra containers and enclosure supplies in case an emergency rehouse is needed, as well as catch cups, tongs, paintbrushes, etc.

I wouldn't put super glue on a tarantula, because I'd be concerned about complications. Instead, I would try a bit of corn starch if the bleeding did not stop on its own.

Of course, the best way to deal with traumatic injuries like this is to try to prevent them from happening by making a safe enclosure.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I used flour to help stop a slight abdomen bleed acquired during shipping. Seemed to help, although the spider looked hilarious covered in flour.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I don't have a specific first aid kit for tarantulas. I do keep a box of corn starch handy for clotting external injuries, but I've never had to use any. If there is an issue like getting stuck halfway out of a molt (happened to me 3 times so far) I just grab tweezers, a spray bottle of water to dampen the molt with, and if needed, a pair of tiny scissors.

Fincloser

Arachnopeon
I keep a jockstrap close by for the old worlds (ball busters they are). I also keep a hot glue gun close by just in case i need to re-attach a leg or something. :playful:

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
I'd keep a syringe/pipette/eyedropper on hand in case you ever have to deal with severe dehydration for one reason or another. Other than cornstarch and all the usual maintenance tools, that's about all I can think of.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I have some tongs, a few catch cups, a syringe for water. I haven't needed to attempt to repair an injury, if I did I would just use some cornstarch but I wouldn't mess with glue.

Now my supplies related to decorating enclosures, oh boy. That fills up a whole shelf on the garage. I have a Hobby Lobby problem.