What do you do with your molts?

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
I imagine 99% of the time I will just throw them out, but what I plan on doing when one of my T's gets bigger. I want to shape the molt and stuff admen with tissue so it looks alive. I hate people ringing my doorbell. I'm going to superglue the molt right above the doorbell. Hopefully that is enough to make people stop pushing that button.

Also thought about using them as a home security system. Do the same thing. Shape them to look alive and put them each one of my windows in the house. I'm pretty sure if a burglar sees one of these. They won't even think about going through that window...

user 666

Arachnobaron
I used to toss the molts in with my hermit crabs.

Now i save them.

I am eventually going to give them to my niece (my brother is hilariously arachnophobic)

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I bet you can sell them, actually. People will buy anything! I'm actually thinking they can be great educational tools, and you can get them for free as a T owner;)

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I save mine in a large clear container. I think they're sorta pretty.
If one is destroyed or damaged by the T-- then I toss it.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
At the moment I'm collecting a few to mount, and then display them, it's agreat way to show the size difference between each molt, I keep the same sp. molts all together, then once I've got enough I will mount them just the way @petkokc has, he shows you how in a Dark Den upload. It's quite cool.

basin79

ArachnoGod
My OW's I give to my mum to take to work or give my nieces and nephew. NW's I keep.

TRection

Arachnoknight
I have pinned mine to a small sheet of cardboard for now, i like to think of them the same way a parent keeps baby clothes over the years as memories of when their kids where little. Its cool to see the progression of size each molt :)

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I saved all the molts from my first t (b. albopilosum) and have them mounted in a shadow box to show her growth progression. I use this display in the classroom when I am explaining the growth/molting process to my students. I also have an assortment of loose molts to show the kids and I let them touch some of the OW molts. They really enjoy touching the fangs!
Unfortunately, most of my spiders are NW, so I only have a few molts that I can let the kids handle - so if any of you "throw 'em out" people wanted to send a few OW's my way, I'd be happy to pay shipping! :rolleyes:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
those displays are absolutely beautiful, i like to keep mine for posterity, if a picture is worth a thousand words, a molt is worth a thousand pictures :D
Thank you very much. :)
It'll be better once I get around to spreading all the old molts in the box.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
My OW's I give to my mum to take to work or give my nieces and nephew. NW's I keep.
Any particular reason you keep NW's and not the OW's, just wondering if there's a specific reason, I like to give some smaller, more worn exuviae to friends, at first they used to think I had a T in my pocket, no way Mr.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Any particular reason you keep NW's and not the OW's, just wondering if there's a specific reason, I like to give some smaller, more worn exuviae to friends, at first they used to think I had a T in my pocket, no way Mr.
Urticating hairs.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Due to this freaking FED/Wall Street/'Bubble' banksters crysis here in masochist Italy is "deep poop" so I eat those filthy exuvia/e with just an hint of pure extra virgin (Allah in da heaven) olive oil.

We are living in the era of 'tribulation', you know.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Urticating hairs.
Ah yeah - that makes so much sense, you don't want your relatives getting urticating setae on them, I never even gave that consideration when I hand mines to friends, I'll have to be careful in future.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I put mine into individual bags.

I'm not bothered myself but if I gave them to my nieces and nephew they'd take them out of the bags. My mum works with teens so they'd take them out too.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I'm not bothered myself but if I gave them to my nieces and nephew they'd take them out of the bags. My mum works with teens so they'd take them out too.
Gotcha. Yeah for personal keeping it works but not so much if you're dealing with kiddos.