1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do tarantulas taste like?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Nightshade, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Nightshade

Nightshade Arachnoknight

Is there anyone here on the boards who has actually tasted tarantula?
    I'm curious.

I'm packing up for a move and I just came across some old molts, plus I'm getting hungry for dinner, lol.

I know some people store their dead Ts in the freezer. Ever thought about scraping the bristles off of one with a paring knife and throwing it into a frying pan with a bit of oil and some herbs?
  2. Kel_420

Kel_420 Arachnosquire

omg, it tastes sooo good. I raises my from slings then I eat them alive. They taste the best while they move down your mouth =)
  3. MelGibson

MelGibson Arachnosquire

i want to know too. ive looked for ways to perpare a T in like a thai dish but no results yet. also im not sure which Ts are edible.
  4. I haven't actually had it but I understand tarantulas, like other invertibrates, taste like crab or lobster, but without the fishiness. Basically nondescript but definitely mild and soft (once you get through the exoskeleton).
  5. In other words they basically taste like the spices they are cooked/dipped in.
  6. Nightshade

Nightshade Arachnoknight

None of my big Ts have died since I started in the hobby.
    But when one does, I don't imagine I'll want to flush it. Or bury it in someone else's yard.
    Preparing a pet for cooking would be sad and gruesome, but in the end we would be together forever {D
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  7. :? Ummm. Okay. Ya'll r weird.:D
  8. fang333999

fang333999 Arachnodemon

hahahaha i thought i was the only one.......
  9. oblivion22

oblivion22 Arachnopeon

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D8_NzM_sC8s&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D8_NzM_sC8s&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="349"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
  10. strangladesh

strangladesh Arachnopeon

they taste like chicken DUH...:?
  11. Kel_420

Kel_420 Arachnosquire

jeffery domer?
  12. Fingolfin

Fingolfin Arachnoangel

I hear they taste like prawns, from an expert who has had them.
  13. Sooner

Sooner Arachnoknight

I hear they taste like a mix between lobsters and shrimp from a Nat Geo program I saw. The natives would sear the tarantula over a roast pit so the hairs would singe off. After it is roasted, the flesh is creamy white with some orange and steam coming out. The texture looks like shrimp...
  14. Kid Dragon

Kid Dragon Arachnoprince Old Timer

Never ate a tarantula, but if you go to the Audubon Insectarium in New Orleans they sure know how to cook insects!
  15. *Jeffrey Dahmer. If you're going to make references, spell it right. :p

If you can make a connection between cannablism/torture/acid zombies, I'd hate to see what you can conjure for Ed Gein. Would would that make an interior designer?
  16. Snipes

Snipes Arachnoprince Old Timer

I dunno, but in a few days i can tell you what eggs taste like :}
  17. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Arachnosquire

Rick West said that it taste like crabs... or prawns... or something like that, I cant remember...
  18. WARPIG

WARPIG Arachnoangel

Put a live one on your tounge and let us know{D

19. blazetown

blazetown Arachnodemon

what would happen if i ate my p liosoma lol?
  20. PSYS

PSYS Arachnosquire

I just wouldn't ever imagine it seriously tasting like a prawn or lobster or crab...? ...interesting.