What do tarantulas do all night?

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I had a mantis that I know would stare at me while I slept. Every morning I would wake up and this 4 inch bugger would be peeking over a piece of cork bark staring at me, just its head sticking over the bark. I would walk in the room and it would turn to look at me, follow me around the room. I am convinced it was learning my habits and plotting to eat me.

DanBsTs

Dan (Not Even Cool) the Man
This is what my C. darlingi sling does all night. Quite the excavator. (Timelapse ~8hrs)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I had a mantis that I know would stare at me while I slept. Every morning I would wake up and this 4 inch bugger would be peeking over a piece of cork bark staring at me, just its head sticking over the bark. I would walk in the room and it would turn to look at me, follow me around the room. I am convinced it was learning my habits and plotting to eat me.
Well, let's hope that, one night, the Bogeyman, Mr. Sandman (or for that matter a crack addicted thug) will open said mantis enclosure: for the sake of science, eh, and nothing else... don't get me wrong :)

Katiekooleyes

Arachnosquire
Mine likes to stick on the glass and pretend she's one of those old Garfield plushies with the suckers on the hands and feet you used to find in the back of cars.

During the day though, she LOVES the game where she pretends she's escaped by hiding in the most impossible to see spot!

tim smithe

Arachnopeon
Tarantulas are actually most active at night, if you want to observe how the behave in the dark it's worth buying a red torch as red light will not disturb your T and you can watch them behaving how they would with the light off.
will a red lens be okay to use for a standard torch? as in put the lens over a white light to emit the red light? or would I have to specifically buy a red led light torch?

(https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nitecore-N...qid=1534422708&sr=8-2&keywords=NITECORE+NFR25)

SpaceM

Arachnosquire
will a red lens be okay to use for a standard torch? as in put the lens over a white light to emit the red light? or would I have to specifically buy a red led light torch?
I see no reason that wouldn't work just as well. Although it might not be very bright and you could probably buy a cheap LED torch for the price of the filter.

Spidersfrommars

Arachnopeon
I have a red flashlight and sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night to get some water and I check and see what they are up to.

I got a new G. pulchra sling and its made a little burrow under a piece of cork I put in there and its always just in the burrow, one night I came out and this little guy was on top of the cork like some adventurous Mufasa lion king moment, idk why it just cracked me up a bit.