What do i use for lighting for a Vietnamese Centipede?

AriZoNaS HacKeR

Arachnopeon
So the dude at the store said i should go with a CFL (compact florecent lighting bulb) i said ehh ill just do a smaller LED bulb dont think theres much a difference just better lighting but at night when i turn it on or during the day it hides in its little coconut hide until i turn off the light!! what kind of bulb can i use for this guy? should i get a colored CFL or should i do one of the colored bulbs they have at the petstore, im pretty much limitless i just need to know which bulbs will work without making them pissed id use infared but i dont wanna make it too hot for it, please let me know what you think i should do ill attach a picture of my setup, thank you very much guys :) i have like a 2 watt bulb in... creates NO heat. but the brightness he does not like but the dark bulbs seem to have a bit of heat with it, let me know!
IMG_9448.jpg

shaihulud

Arachnopeon
The lights are required only for your own viewing pleasure, or if you wish to propagate any plants. The centipede does not require any lighting at all.

satchellwk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
One thing I notice in the pic is that the substrate seems rather dry. These centipedes need it to be very humid, so you want to be sure that you moisten that substrate thoroughly.
As for light, you really don't need any. If your room has a reasonable room temp (high sixties to mid eighties) then you don't need any external heat either. Furthermore, the light is only going to make your pede want to hide, kinda defeating the purpose of having a light for viewing. So, if I were you, I wouldn't use any light.
Another thing, the substrate looks a little shallow. Centipedes like to burrow, a lot. So, if you have more of the coconut fiber handy, I would add another inch or two (moist).

Good luck with your pede!

bigjej

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If its for viewing only, go with a red bulb. They dont seem to sense it or at least be bothered by it. Anything else is pointless, as mentioned above.

AriZoNaS HacKeR

Arachnopeon
If its for viewing only, go with a red bulb. They dont seem to sense it or at least be bothered by it. Anything else is pointless, as mentioned above.
gotcha ill go with a infared lowest watt, and its not moist in the pic because i had JUST SET UP the (setup) in that pic lol and it has enough to burrow trust me its been doing it ever since i put it in there. if not, wont kill it i hope not , let me know guys, yes its for my lighting views... not for the animal i wanna see it during the night. without it hiding.

MB623

Arachnoknight
Lights

My brother is into salt water aquariums and had some small blue LED's on the lid that gave it a "moonlight" look at night. I always thought it looked really cool and have wanted to set some up in my enclosures, although it's not good for very detailed viewings for picture taking n' such. Just something cool about spiders in the moonlight.:cool:

philge

Arachnosquire
I'd definitely say that you need deeper substrate, and you need to bump the humidity immediately. From my experience with scolopendra, they love to burrow. I would give it about 3-4 inches at the very least. Those Exo Terra tanks are only really suitable for arboreal creatures as they do not hold much substrate. I would get a regular 5 or 10 gallon aquarium with a good secure lid instead. That kind of tank is just not right for creating the conditions this centipede needs.