What did you call isopods when you were a kid?

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks to all who replied. with these posts and the same question on another forum I got about 30 replies, including some names I had never heard (wood sows, sours, etc.)
I appreciate the help!

The wolf

Arachnolord
Woodlice i have never heard anyone say anything else except my mum she calls them slaters. Worcestershire uk

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
We used to call them "Tanks" as that's the way they go about their business like little tanks.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
1. Sow bugs or wood lice for the regular ones, pill bugs for the ones that could roll up. I would pronounce it "Saw bug" when I was younger. As soon as I heard/read an official source call them isopods I switched to that.
2. Book lice/roly poly
3. MN USA

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Slaters. Never heard them called anything else growing up, until I read books calling them the usual things: woodlice, sow bugs, pill bugs etc. I got to calling them woodlice and that's still my preference. Northern Ireland.

TylerFishman5675

Arachnosquire
I called them Isopods actualy :D though they always disgusted me a little, im not afraid lf arthrpods but there one of the bugs I would not like to bring indoors Im not sure why.

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
Potato bugs.
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Not sure why we called them that...no potatos growing the the woods.

OxDionysus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Potato bugs
Rollie pollie
Michigan

Not sure how I posted this twice.. but cannot delete second post =/

7Fin

Arachnoknight
I called them woodlice, as did all of my friends.

I live in Ireland and stuff.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I used to call them woodlice as a kid and still do.

My stepdad on the other hand called and still calls them wooly backs for some strange reason.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Pillbugs, though I quickly learned to distinguish Armadillidium from other species and called them "pillbugs" and "sowbugs" respectively. Nowadays I usually call them all woodlice and detest the word "sowbug" for some reason.

Massachusetts, USA