What did you call isopods when you were a kid?

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would like to investigate the wide range of names used for common terrestrial isopods in various areas. I would love your help! Please tell me:

1. The most common name(s) for isopods you used as a child.
2. Less commonly heard/used names for them.
3. Your home country, and state/province/region, etc. where you grew up.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

-Rus (Aquarimax)

windscorpions1

Arachnoknight
Roly polys were the usual name for them where im from.
You'd here pill bug now and again too but it was a bit less common
West PA is where im from

Not really sure what you'll turn up with this thread :/ I don't think there's honestly a lot of names people have for isopods

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
Of the two names I heard growing up the most common one was by far "rolly poly." I (less commonly) have heard them called potato bugs. I have always lived in the Denver area.

Last edited:

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
1. Sow bugs or wood bugs for the regular ones, pill bugs for the ones that could roll up.

2. Potato bugs

3. Vancouver BC, Canada

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
1. The most common name(s) for isopods you used as a child. Rolly pollies, pill bugs, woodlice
2. Less commonly heard/used names for them. Potato or sow bug, pillies
3. Your home country, and state/province/region, etc. where you grew up. Southeast Texas, US

Dizzle

Arachnoknight
1. Potato Bugs, Pill Bugs
2. Roly Polys
3. Pasadena, Maryland

Ambly

Arachnobaron
1. The most common name(s) for isopods you used as a child. Dad, Mom, Friends
2. Less commonly heard/used names for them. sow bug
3. Your home country, and state/province/region, etc. where you grew up. NJ

Karmaz

Arachnopeon
Always called them Roly polys, my kids call them poly olys (they're toddlers) I'm from michigan but raising my brood in ohio. Seems the name is common here too.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Sours! I mean, literally. Munch one and you'll see. A weird acidic zing. Hey, we also used to eat oxalis stems and munch baked steer manure. A well timed bellow warned me away from trying oleander blossoms and privet berries. Pittosporum berries will give you the trots big time. It was around that time I discovered possum tastes as bad as they smell.

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
1. Pill bugs
2. Rolly-polies, sow bugs
3. Iowa

And whoa, didn't know people ever ate them!

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Delish!

And whoa, didn't know people ever ate them!
Simply delish!
Boil to soften ('bout 5 minutes) then drain well on a paper towel. Then batter with flour/egg mixture and fry them in vegetable oil about 2-3 minutes per side - then salt and pepper to taste - voila' -- cheap food on a budget. They taste best when hot from the skillet but be careful not to burn your tongue!
I usually serve with potatoes and green veggie.

Leftovers (as if there ever are any!) make good sandwiches -- mustard trumps mayo here. Ymmv

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Simply delish!
Boil to soften ('bout 5 minutes) then drain well on a paper towel. Then batter with flour/egg mixture and fry them in vegetable oil about 2-3 minutes per side - then salt and pepper to taste - voila' -- cheap food on a budget. They taste best when hot from the skillet but be careful not to burn your tongue!
I usually serve with potatoes and green veggie.

Leftovers (as if there ever are any!) make good sandwiches -- mustard trumps mayo here. Ymmv
I can't tell if you are serious but it sounds very good.