what could i get?

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i am after an invert which falls into the following catagories, does 1 exist??
can be kept in a fairly small viv
is insectavorious (spelling?)
will make an attractive display piece
lives atleast 2years
must be large enough to see easily, but not some big nasty scarey thing (cent's fit into the "big nasty scarey thing" catagory)

anything that would fit into that catagory?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Mantids are nice display animals. I have been keeping Carolina and Chinese Mantids for years. However these species will live less than a year usually. Some of the tropical mantids are reported to live longer in captivity.
When I was a kid, I used to keep several species of Diving Beetles. They make good display animals and will probably live a while longer than my mantids. You can keep them in an aquarium or even a fish bowl. They will eat crickets, fish food, even small fish.

alex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would say mantids as well, very interesting animal.

conway

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
theres also millepedes but i dont think they live for much longer than 2 years

Hoosier

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would recommend a desert hairy scorp (Hadrurus spadix or arizonensis). They eat crix and some have been reported to live for 15 years. They are active and hardy, although they shouldnt be housed in a vivarium.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Tiger beetles are absolutely awesome but would not make a great display animal as most U.S. species are under 3/4" long. Giant species that would make good displays (Genus: Manticora - 10 species) are only found in southern and eastern Africa. A colony of assassin bugs of the genus Platymeris contains large (up to 1 3/4" in body length) and very beautiful species. They are easy to keep in captivity and are voracious predators. I do have to warn that reduviids do secrete toxic enzymes from thir rostrum ("beak") though.

Alex S.

Last edited: