What causes a scorpion to abort its brood?

NYAN

Arachnoking
Hi all, I recently found that my centruroides sculpturatus appeared to have aborted her brood. I came back to find little yellow pieces of gunk in its enclosure, and remembered what that meant. I kept her with 2 other scorps, but they died for pretty much unknown reasons. I don’t think any were mature males either being that they didn’t have the typical male tail. She was living in a 32 oz deli cup with cork bark and a small water dish. My other question is whether she will retain sperm for another brood.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Humidity and temps seem to be the keys for a scorpion keeping or aborting a brood. Other times it could be from bad sperm or eggs not developing properly. I don't have much experience with C. sculpturatus though, so I'm not sure what could have caused it in yours. She should retain sperm, but if she's WC then that may have been her last brood. Good luck and hope you get more!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Was the bark oriented vertically?

Issues with ambient humidity, temperature, or other similar factors that cause undue stress on the animal could cause it to abort a brood.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Was the bark oriented vertically?

Issues with ambient humidity, temperature, or other similar factors that cause undue stress on the animal could cause it to abort a brood.
Yup, had vertical bark. I’m not sure hoe much humidity they would need, but I have a bottle cap for water, so I think that’s covered.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Yup, had vertical bark. I’m not sure hoe much humidity they would need, but I have a bottle cap for water, so I think that’s covered.
Bone dry.

Just a water dish is all the water it needs.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Exactly. I don’t think I messed up with the humidity. It could be one of those random things that I have no control over.
You can pair her again. They are very easy to breed.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I’ll need a male scorpion in order to pair her again. She’s the only one left.
It's a common species. Make an inquiry in the classifieds and see if anyone near you has one or more males that can be paired.