1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What can you tell me about P. cambridgei and P. irminia

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Bob Len, Jan 11, 2019 at 9:56 AM.

1. Bob Len

Bob Len Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    I'm thinking about grabbing one of these Tarantulas later in the year.
    Which would you recommend and why?

2. Sarkhan42

Sarkhan42 Arachnolord Active Member

Both- Psalmopoeus are fantastic eaters, grow like beasts, are easy to care for (hide, a bit of moist sub, water dish), and pack some attitude.

Irminia tend to be more reclusive and defensive, but I’ve had individuals be out in the open quite often honestly. They I believe also are just a little bit smaller.

3. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoking Active Member

Depending on your experience level, I would lean towards getting a cam rather then an irminia. The latter of the two tend to be ridiculously defensive, and on the reclusive side...whereas cams are always out, and are much less defensive as a whole. You will learn more from raisng the cam then the irminia IMO, but both are very cool Ts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bob Len

Thanks for the quick and easy summations. It seems i'll be getting the p. cambridgei over the the irmina then. I've heard and seen their prolific webbers (a trait I love) would either of you, or anyone reading this, mind sending a picture of your cam's enclosure?

5. Bob Len

Amazing pictures btw, I love the tinges of orange and green on their legs.

6. jrh3

jrh3 Arachnosquire Active Member

My P. Irminia stays hidden alot and is really fast. But the colors are stunning. Not too aggressive.

7. Mirandarachnid

Mirandarachnid Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    I love my cam. It's such a fun spider, the feeding response is awesome and it's gorgeous. Loves to play 'chase the water drops'.

They benefit from some space, so keep that in mind when you set up the enclosure. They also grow like weeds, the one I have put on three inches in about 5 months.

This is the enclosure I just moved it into. It's about 4 inches DLS, and this enclosure would be pretty big for a spider of this size of a different species. It made itself a little tunnel with some of the leaves behind the log, but I see it out daily.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. My P cambri burrowed as a sling but stayed out in the open more once matured. Speedy, good feeding response, and as others mentioned: grows fast!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Teal

Teal Arachnoking Old Timer

I adore P. cams. My current is reaching juvie stage and is staying out in the open! S/he is due a rehouse, so I can get photos then :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Nightstalker47

That name, lol. :hilarious:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Bob Len

Thanks everyone. I'll be getting a p. cambridgei it seems :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Sad Sad x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  12. Nightstalker47

Very good choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Bob Len

32oz tub for a sling? or should I go for something bigger seeing they grow so fast?

14. Liquifin

Liquifin Arachnobaron Active Member

How big is the sling? if it's around 1/2''-1'' I would house it in something like a 16oz. Then once it reaches like 1.25''-1.5'', I would house it to a 32oz then.

15. Bob Len

Around an inch according to the website, i'll go for the 16oz tub.

16. Mirandarachnid

Mirandarachnid Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    Wouldn't be a bad idea to have the 32oz on hand as well in case the cam is bigger than advertised, that can happen with fast growing sp.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SDCustom78

SDCustom78 Arachnopeon

Michigan
    Nothing wrong with a 32 oz. container. Psalmo's grow /molt fast as slings and put on incredible size when doing so. They wont have trouble finding food in a larger 32.oz deli either. IME ive seen both cams and irminia come close to doubling in size as slings after a molt and soon would need to be rehoused anyways. The possibility of even a molt in transit exists so just be prepared.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 3:47 PM
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Bob Len

I ended up grabbing the 32oz container instead of the 16 at checkout. As you guys have said there's no point housing it in something it'll outgrow in a month or two. I'm quite excited to see just how fast this species grows.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

They are 3/4" at 2i. Due to both their speed and insane feeding response, I always start them right in a 32....but you could certainly put them in a 16 for the first few molts.

Should be 3i at that size.

You will be impressed with how much growth they put on with each molt, its like a new spider every molt.

Good choice. I keep them in the 32 till 3"

Its also nice to see them change colors as they grow.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 6:21 PM
    • Like Like x 7
  20. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

P. irminia all the way, my girl got me hooked on the genus and is still my favourite, eats like a beast, has an attitude and is out every day unless she's in pre-moult.

Also, you'll probably get a cam as a freebie at some point anyway, they're up there with LPs as the most frequently given away tarantulas in the UK.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1