What camera do you use?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cheap Coolpix, 5600. The pics are pretty good. I bought a few more for about $10 on Ebay. The battery door lock breaks and people sell them at low prices when that happens. So I buy them, drill a hole and use a screw to shut the door .....HA!

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I returned to this thread to show that I do pull off a decent shot now and then. Yesterday was one of those times. :D Got a couple i was reasonably satisfied with. Rhinoceros beetle I caught while at work the other night and brought home.

m_IMG_6435crop.jpg

Not all that happy with the lighting on this one, really. I cast a shadow because the sun was behind me. Plus I think the depth of field is a little off. Apart from those things and after a little post-production it's okay, I guess.

m_IMG_6438Crop 2.jpg

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Nikon D7200 and the Nikon 60mm f2.8D macro lens. I assume it will produce nice images of the adults too, but so far I've really just shot slings with it, because that's what most of my collection is at the moment.

I have also used the Panasonic FZ1000 and FZ200 with achromats in the past.

TRection

Arachnoknight
Nikon D7200 and the Nikon 60mm f2.8D macro lens. I assume it will produce nice images of the adults too, but so far I've really just shot slings with it, because that's what most of my collection is at the moment.

I have also used the Panasonic FZ1000 and FZ200 with achromats in the past.
Beautiful shot :D thanks!

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
My S8 Galaxy note takes great pics. I have a tripod adapter for it as well that I used for 2 feeding videos.

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I plan on purchasing a camera and macro lens. I don't know anything about photography. Is it necessary to use manual settings (ISO, shutter, whatever other settings there are) or can I just get a macro lens and use the AUTO feature?

I mainly use my phone for a camera. I also have a Olympus TG4 that has a built-in macro lens and a purchased LED ring but the shots aren't that clear. Probably because I'm holding it and not using a tripod?

Darren0985

Arachnopeon
I have a Nikon Coolpix B500 but I rarely get a chance to use it and normally just use my phone lol

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I use my iPhone, however I just bought a camcorder that takes still photos. It has macro, and IR for nighttime tarantula videos and pictures. I haven't bought an MicroSD chip, so I have yet to test it. (It is a knockoff brand sold by Amazon, because buying a Sony with nightshot would cost a bit to much)

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
I use a nikon coolpix s6200 most of the time, it doesn't really work for macro shots like they show in the preview video, but it does really well at 3 or 4 inches away, I just crop to get a closer picture which works better than zooming too close. It's really hard to get good pictures of fish though, you have to get it to focus on stationary decor and wait for the fish to come. Great for herps and inverts though but the auto focus can be so fine that on a tiny scorpion one leg will be in perfect focus and the rest not so I take as many pics as possible in the one sitting.
After seeing a preview of a Fujifilm S (can't remember the numbers) where they were getting clear pics of a moving object about an inch from the lens I bought one, but it doesn't do any better than the nikon anyway, although outdoors having more optical zoom is a good thing. Being that it's 5 or 6 times the size of the nikon and doesn't take better pictures, I use the nikon which I often have in my back pocket when I'm out and about, my wife uses the fuji when we are on holidays. We often take photos of the same things, there's no difference in quality apart from the extra optical zoom on the fuji. stents 5 11.JPG With the nikon, 4" away through a plastic fish tank, not the best ever photo, but the best I have saved to my phone. Pics of our water dragon are stunning, crystal clear even cropped and printed on 10"×10".

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What camera / cameras do I use? Ive used these ones on a regular basis. Some haven't been used in a while.

Digital cameras: Panasonic G2 M4/3, Panasonic G6 M4/3, Gopro Hero 3 Silver
Film cameras: Canon AE1 35mm SLR, Canon T70 35mm SLR, Canon FTb 35mm SLR, Canon EOS 30 35mm SLR, Koni Omega Rapid medium format rangefinder, Yashica D medium format twin lens reflex
Movie film cameras: Canon 1014 Autozoom Electronic super 8, Krasnogorsk 3 16mm (no longer working)

I won't bother listing all my lenses but among them is a Canon FD 50mm f3.5 macro lens (previously owned by my father.) I use this lens in conjunction with the Canon A series and T series SLRs and the Panasonic M4/3 cameras with an adapter.

These two images were photographed with the Canon 50mm macro lens.

Golden stag beetle - shot on film
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dragonblade712003/16603900640/in/dateposted/

Black rock scorpion - shot on digital with the Panasonic G2
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dragonblade712003/9352646218/in/dateposted/

I also have an extension tube which can be used with this lens. And some time back, I ordered a bellows from eBay with a Canon FD mount for higher magnification. I haven't used it yet. Though one concern of mine is that it might pump dust on to the sensor in my digital cameras. I have heard of some people inserting filters between the camera body and the bellows to prevent dust from collecting on the sensor.

Last edited:

SpiderDan1981

Arachnopeon
Does anyone use a GoPro for just keeping an eye on your Ts? I'd like to be able to look in on them periodically and see what they're up to without actually opening the closet and disturbing them. Or maybe be able to check in from work periodically. I just want to see them doing spider things without shining a light in their faces.
Any recommendations on GoPros or similar cameras that would sync with my android or Mac?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Any recommendations on GoPros or similar cameras that would sync with my android or Mac?
Our Nikon D3400 and many others has Snap Bridge built it. It does the Bluetooth thing to phones in the immediate area. Same setup and connecting a WiFi in a shop or restaurant. The only problem is you need to remember to turn it off or the battery gets drained in about a week.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
I'm not sure if it's what your looking for but I bought some cheap trail cameras from eBay (for deer) but more recently have been using them to record footage of wild trapdoor species and have been getting some pretty neat night time footage on such a small target, I easily get 6-12 months from the batteries.
The motion sensor sensitivity, video length and megapixels are all adjustable depending on brand.

Rowdy Hotel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
After seeing some amazing pictures of T's and other critters on the forum im just wondering what camera do some of you use? I've just been using my phone for now and it really doesnt do any of my pets justice. Any recommendations?

Try not to fall into the trap where you believe nice photographs are made with nice, expensive cameras.

That's what the manufacturers want you to believe so that you dump your gear and upgrade every two years or buy some equipment that is too expensive for what you really need.

The lens you pick has a bigger impact on your images than the camera.

Buy a nice macro lens and a digital camera with interchangeable lenses and an adapter if you need it and you are good to go.

You can use extension tubes for closer focus or a reverse ring.

I use cheap lenses from the days of film because at macro distances autofocus doesnt exactly work so even with autofocus lenses you need to focus manually. Might as well use a vintage lens that was only used manually and has a nice focusing ring.

Mirrorless cameras are great for adapting lenses because of the short flange distances.

I like Fuji mirrorless cameras because they just feel good in my hands. I also have a full frame Nikon for when I need full frame.

Perhaps learn how to use a flash and do some post processing and you will be able to make amazing pictures, not just great.

Oh and as a tip, I would buy a pro camera or a prosumer from about 5 years ago. It will still take amazing pictures today like it did 5 years ago and you save like 80% of what it was new potentially.