1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What camera do you use?

Discussion in 'Through the Lens' started by TRection, Aug 14, 2017.

1. TRection

TRection Arachnoknight

Canada
    Advertisement
    Ok thank you ill do that next time :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

texas
    Cheap Coolpix, 5600. The pics are pretty good. I bought a few more for about $10 on Ebay. The battery door lock breaks and people sell them at low prices when that happens. So I buy them, drill a hole and use a screw to shut the door .....HA!

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere Arachnoprince

CT
    Canon EOS 70D.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tim Benzedrine

Tim Benzedrine Prankster Possum Old Timer

I returned to this thread to show that I do pull off a decent shot now and then. Yesterday was one of those times. :D Got a couple i was reasonably satisfied with. Rhinoceros beetle I caught while at work the other night and brought home.

m_IMG_6435crop.jpg

Not all that happy with the lighting on this one, really. I cast a shadow because the sun was behind me. Plus I think the depth of field is a little off. Apart from those things and after a little post-production it's okay, I guess.

m_IMG_6438Crop 2.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  5. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnomancer Arachnosupporter

Nikon D7200 and the Nikon 60mm f2.8D macro lens. I assume it will produce nice images of the adults too, but so far I've really just shot slings with it, because that's what most of my collection is at the moment.

[​IMG]

I have also used the Panasonic FZ1000 and FZ200 with achromats in the past.

• Like Like x 3
  6. TRection

TRection Arachnoknight

Canada
    Beautiful shot :D thanks!

7. Whitelightning777

Whitelightning777 Arachno-heretic Arachnosupporter

My S8 Galaxy note takes great pics. I have a tripod adapter for it as well that I used for 2 feeding videos.

8. wetwork

wetwork Arachnosquire

CA
    I plan on purchasing a camera and macro lens. I don't know anything about photography. Is it necessary to use manual settings (ISO, shutter, whatever other settings there are) or can I just get a macro lens and use the AUTO feature?

I mainly use my phone for a camera. I also have a Olympus TG4 that has a built-in macro lens and a purchased LED ring but the shots aren't that clear. Probably because I'm holding it and not using a tripod?

9. Darren0985

Darren0985 Arachnopeon Active Member

I have a Nikon Coolpix B500 but I rarely get a chance to use it and normally just use my phone lol

10. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Arachnobaron Active Member

Ohio
    I use my iPhone, however I just bought a camcorder that takes still photos. It has macro, and IR for nighttime tarantula videos and pictures. I haven't bought an MicroSD chip, so I have yet to test it. (It is a knockoff brand sold by Amazon, because buying a Sony with nightshot would cost a bit to much)

11. Dave Jay

Dave Jay Arachnoknight Active Member

I use a nikon coolpix s6200 most of the time, it doesn't really work for macro shots like they show in the preview video, but it does really well at 3 or 4 inches away, I just crop to get a closer picture which works better than zooming too close. It's really hard to get good pictures of fish though, you have to get it to focus on stationary decor and wait for the fish to come. Great for herps and inverts though but the auto focus can be so fine that on a tiny scorpion one leg will be in perfect focus and the rest not so I take as many pics as possible in the one sitting.
    After seeing a preview of a Fujifilm S (can't remember the numbers) where they were getting clear pics of a moving object about an inch from the lens I bought one, but it doesn't do any better than the nikon anyway, although outdoors having more optical zoom is a good thing. Being that it's 5 or 6 times the size of the nikon and doesn't take better pictures, I use the nikon which I often have in my back pocket when I'm out and about, my wife uses the fuji when we are on holidays. We often take photos of the same things, there's no difference in quality apart from the extra optical zoom on the fuji. stents 5 11.JPG With the nikon, 4" away through a plastic fish tank, not the best ever photo, but the best I have saved to my phone. Pics of our water dragon are stunning, crystal clear even cropped and printed on 10"×10".

12. dragonblade71

dragonblade71 Arachnobaron Old Timer

What camera / cameras do I use? Ive used these ones on a regular basis. Some haven't been used in a while.

Digital cameras: Panasonic G2 M4/3, Panasonic G6 M4/3, Gopro Hero 3 Silver
    Film cameras: Canon AE1 35mm SLR, Canon T70 35mm SLR, Canon FTb 35mm SLR, Canon EOS 30 35mm SLR, Koni Omega Rapid medium format rangefinder, Yashica D medium format twin lens reflex
    Movie film cameras: Canon 1014 Autozoom Electronic super 8, Krasnogorsk 3 16mm (no longer working)

I won't bother listing all my lenses but among them is a Canon FD 50mm f3.5 macro lens (previously owned by my father.) I use this lens in conjunction with the Canon A series and T series SLRs and the Panasonic M4/3 cameras with an adapter.

These two images were photographed with the Canon 50mm macro lens.

Golden stag beetle - shot on film
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/dragonblade712003/16603900640/in/dateposted/

Black rock scorpion - shot on digital with the Panasonic G2
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/dragonblade712003/9352646218/in/dateposted/

I also have an extension tube which can be used with this lens. And some time back, I ordered a bellows from eBay with a Canon FD mount for higher magnification. I haven't used it yet. Though one concern of mine is that it might pump dust on to the sensor in my digital cameras. I have heard of some people inserting filters between the camera body and the bellows to prevent dust from collecting on the sensor.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Getting a D700 soon, and possibly a D7000 soon after. :snaphappy::snaphappy: