1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What camera do you use?

Discussion in 'Through the Lens' started by TRection, Aug 14, 2017.

1. TRection

TRection Arachnoknight

Canada
    Advertisement
    After seeing some amazing pictures of T's and other critters on the forum im just wondering what camera do some of you use? I've just been using my phone for now and it really doesnt do any of my pets justice. Any recommendations?

2. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

Me? Sadly no one, my friend. Useless, one moment. Why? Well, every time I reach one of my enclosures my T's starts to panic and quickly 180° in their burrows.

Only the Goddess* (since she always lives 'down under') can understand me. Or an albino crocodile in a N.Y sewer for that matter, but that was time, time ago.

Sometimes I wonder... how a man can manage to proper quantify a bit of happiness? :( <-- sad Butters face

* 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) btw

• Like Like x 1
  3. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

4. TRection

TRection Arachnoknight

Canada
    I was thinking of getting one of those phone camera attachment things that go over the phone lens

5. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

A cheap macro lens? Yeah, I'd like to compare shots using one of those compared to not. I think they work pretty well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. How do those look?

7. TRection

TRection Arachnoknight

Canada
  8. volcanopele

volcanopele Arachnosquire

I have a Canon Rebel T4i to take my nicer photos of my Ts, though I will just as often use the camera on my iPhone 7+.

9. 14pokies

14pokies Arachnoprince

10. TRection

TRection Arachnoknight

Canada
  11. 14pokies

14pokies Arachnoprince

Don't apologize, I was just pointing you in the direction of a subforum that might have better answered your question..

Pretty sure only mods can move threads, If they want it moved they will move it lol.

• Like Like x 1
  12. campj

campj Arachnoknight

ID
    I've heard that how you take pictures is as important as what you take them with, but I don't know much of anything about photography so don't quote me. I do know that Jose (@Exoskeleton Invertebrates) takes some of the most true to life pictures I've seen. It's tough to replicate the beauty of a tan Aphonopelma with a camera, but he managed to do it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Flexzone

Flexzone Arachnodemon

For shots like these I use my D5500, Tamron 90mm(raynox 250) along with diffused external flash
    [​IMG] [​IMG] and for outdoor shots I go with my D3200 with a 18-55mm lens in a shaded area [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  14. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

I use a Canon PowerShot SX50 HS for still photos. It doesn't (as far as I know) support interchangeable lenses, but it does have a lot of customizable settings, including manual focus and exposure. This camera meets my needs as someone who wants better results and more options than a cell phone or compact point-and-shoot camera but doesn't know what to do with more complex DSLR cameras. (The newer SX60 model sells for about $450. I think I paid somewhere around $350-400 when my SX50 was new in May 2014.)

Here are some macro shots I took with this camera while holding it in my hands (click to enlarge):

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  15. VanessaS

VanessaS Arachnodemon Active Member

A Sony A57 with a Sony 50mm macro lens for the most part. Sometimes I will use my Sony35mm f/1.8 or Tamron 100mm macro.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. Haemus

Haemus Arachnosquire

I use what's most convenient. Some of my best shots are taken with my phone. A tiny tripod supporting the phone and it'll come out pretty sharp. I have a beefy studio body with a 105mm macro, but 9/10 it's packed away and misses the moment.

For comparison purposes, here's two shots of my G. pulchra, one with my phone, and the other with my full frame body + external flash.
    Asus Zenfone and desk lamp:
    [​IMG]

Nikon D4 with external flash:
    [​IMG]

When you zoom in 100% on the pixels you can see the difference in quality, but these new phones are more than capable of getting high quality images for web too :snaphappy::)

• Like Like x 1
  17. TRection

TRection Arachnoknight

Canada
    Thanks for the help everyone, im going to go ahead and pic up to phone lenses for the time being and then hopefully get my hands on something like the Canon @Ungoliant was talking about :D

18. Tim Benzedrine

Tim Benzedrine Prankster Possum Old Timer

I have the Powershot SX-40 HS. Bought it in 2012, for around $400, as I recall. As per usual when I drop what I consider a considerable amount on something, within a few months a superior model was released. In this case, it was the SX-50. My choice was motivated much in the way yours was. I haven't produced many masterpieces from it, though, and do a little better with outdoor nature shots than with indoor macros

m_IMG_6062crop.jpg m_IMG_5818crop.jpg

m_IMG_5831crop.jpg

m_IMG_3821cropSharp.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  19. TRection

TRection Arachnoknight

Canada
    I got the new lenses in yesterday, took some work to get them actually attached to my phone (i have an upgraded battery to the case they came with didn't work for my phone) but they work great! much better quality han the default camera :D

I had the spot light a little too bright, so ill know not to do that next time, but im still happy with these.
    CameraZOOM-20170819163756623.jpg CameraZOOM-20170819163828524.jpg CameraZOOM-20170819164147671.jpg

This is with just normal flash
    CameraZOOM-20170819163731335.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  20. Haemus

Haemus Arachnosquire

if you put a piece of translucent white cloth (or 1 ply paper towel) over the enclosure, it'll minimize the highlight and soften the shadows :)

*edit* Nice shots BTW :snaphappy:

• Like Like x 1