What Avicularia is this?

Sukai94

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Excuse me if I should post just the pictures in the ID section. I would like to see some discussion behind this. Mods feel free to move it if you feel it's appropriate.

I am not sure where exactly these were collected. I have an "i think" from the importer but that is not good enough so I will leave it out of this post. I have some guesses as to what they are but would like to see what everyone else thinks.

Immature/Female (in need of molt)

Mature male - fresh (looked like above spider before hooking out) This spider has a rosie-pink hue all over it similar to that of a freshly molted minatrix or even G. rosea that the camera could not capture.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Rodie and I were chatting about these.He mentioned A. ancylochira..(if that is still a valid sp.)I am curious if the male has spurs as well.Collected in Peru,right? Any other local info?I would love to see a freshly molted female,and I would love to see a pair of those in our Avicularia collection(hint hint),assuming that is what they even are. Color me curious.All I know is we want them.

Last edited:

Sukai94

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am going over to Joe Rossi's house for an Avic pow-wow tonight. Hopefully we can sex the Juveniles with his equipment. Jon and I were able to obtain a total of 4 unsexed and one mature male. I can get a few more mature males but did not buy them as I have no use for them. The males have respectable hooks for an avicularia. I'll get some better pictures when I get home. These were taken with an iPhone haha. I am still on vacation at my parents. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone :)

I was only able to obtain a total of 5. If Peru is opened up we will maybe see a few more. If not, wish me luck breeding them.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Just wanted to throw hirschii in to confuse things even further, lol. Add the revision of Avicularia under way, finding species descriptions and you now have a months-long project! Good luck;)

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Joe sent me a picture of A. ancylochira. It looks like the picture on Rick Wests site. If I could provide an ultimate male or females molt who would be the best person to send them to?

http://www.birdspiders.com/gallery/index.php/Tarantulas/birdspiders_0211
I think Caroline Fukushima is working on the Avicularia revision(same co-author of the sooretama, diversipes, gamba paper)? But, I'm not 100% on that;) You'll probably have to do some poking about to find contact info.

Sukai94

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated :)

Jon and I were at Joe's tonight and determined one of the four was male. There are a total of 3 unsexed specimens I am aware of. I thought we had one more unsexed but I counted my half-dead ultimate urticans :( I'm pretty bummed we don't have more but will continue to cross my fingers for a female. We will impatiently await sexable molts.

If anyone has any information they feel is relevant feel free to chime in.

Sukai94

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Brett,

You're a Taps guy. Does that ultimate male (second picture) look anything like any Taps mature males?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You're going to need to find some good papers describing Avicularia and Tapinauchenius...

See if Zoltan has any he can direct you to.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nope,not to me. Wish I lived a state over right now so I could see these with my own eyes.

roaddog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Brett you better get over here fast because I was going to get the rest an use them for feeders today!!!

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You are killing me Rodie.Today is "Brett gets himself a job,AGAIN" day.Or else you would hear me screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" on my approach to the S.D area...

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Have you tried checking the labels on the containers they live in? That's usually where I put the names.

-Sean

ftorres

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello All,

I have 3 of them, they look like 1.2 but not sure until they molt.

The container they came in said "Avicularia TPP" (perhaps Avicularia SPP?)as well as the import list. I will try to contact the person who send this shipment to LA.