What are these spikes on my Tarantula? (G. Pulchripes)

Stef

Arachnopeon
So I found these spikes on my T's legs. They seem to be on all legs, nothing on the carapace or abdomen. What could they be? They feel hard and spikey to the touch. Enclosure is fairly dry. I rescued this T a month ago from a pet store. It hasn't eaten or molted since it has been with me. The behaviour seems normal though. VmoSlJT.jpg kWIjVfv.jpg DQ1yBhS.jpg

Also found in enclosure, poop or something else?

3MEECkd.jpg

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
That is hair. Urticating hairs designed to be flicked at predators to get them to go away.

Stef

Arachnopeon
are you talking about the ''hair'' coming from the brighter collored spots? The thick spikes? doesn't seem like they could be flicked easily

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
That's their setae, sensory organs used to sense chemicals,pheromones,vibrations etc, and that white spot your seeing is fecal matter, which you should clean every so often as cage maintenance.

Last edited:

Stef

Arachnopeon
That's there setae, sensory organs used to sense chemicals,pheromones, vibrations etc
Okay but just to make sure, you are talking about these things right? because I am. If they are just ''setae'' it would be a huge relief. Naamloos.png

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Okay but just to make sure, you are talking about these things right? because I am. If they are just ''setae'' it would be a huge relief. View attachment 209928
Yup, those are a type of setae (spikes) that don't detach like urticating hair but are used as a passive defense ex sp. (M. robustum) actively bob there legs around as a defense against predators

Last edited: