What are good beginner spiders?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm having difficulty getting a read on how big that enclosure is. Can you give me an approximation?
I don't know of course the exact size of that enclosure, but I doubt larger than 30 cm, seems also quite deep. Basically + or - like a KK medium/large enclosure.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I guess what I meant to ask is what how big of an enclosure would the house and wolf spider need?
I have successfully kept Kukulcania hibernalis in glass pickle jars, though I prefer containers with better access and ventilation. If you give them more space, they do eventually web it.

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
I have successfully kept Kukulcania hibernalis in glass pickle jars, though I prefer containers with better access and ventilation. If you give them more space, they do eventually web it.
I assume that means that medium-large KK are also acceptable?

Katamus

Arachnopeon
I'm having difficulty getting a read on how big that enclosure is. Can you give me an approximation?
Containers I use for my wolf spiders are usually around the 30cm x 30cm mark. Gives them some room to roam around. Mine don't burrow down so i just give them a little bit of bark or something dark for them to hide in or under during the day, but 90% of the time they're sitting outside of their hides anyways.

Katamus

Arachnopeon
Yeah, could a wolf spider live in a lidless 5 gallon?
Unfortunately i have no idea what a lidless 5 gallon is or looks like. Im in Australia, but my babies are in these sort of containers... they measure around 30cm left to right (base), 20cm wide (base) and 23cm deep. They're bigger at the top, 35cm(LtR) x 24cm (wide)
Hope that possibly helps

Attachments

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
I just started keeping spiders and I was wondering what are some good beginner spiders I could pick up in the near future. I have a female adult Phidippus Regius as my first spider and although she gave me a bit of a scare with an unexpected molt I am looking to expand my collection. At first I was thinking about a trapdoor spider but then I thought that perhaps such notoriously defensive spiders wouldn't be my best option for second spider. I made a thread asking about orb weavers, as they really intrigued me, but then learned that it's better to feed them moths and flys. I don't really have a ready supply available so I'm going to have to put that on hold for now. I was also thinking about a tailless whip scorpion but I just found out that they are rather skittish, nocturnal and (in my opinion) not that exciting.

What does everyone think? Should i just go for the whip scorpion or are their more options?
Well, i'd suggest a wolf spider but i'm Also new to this...

Last edited:

MetallicArachnid

Arachnosquire
Latrodectus are nice very pretty, excellent webbers and good eaters, they're also pretty easy to care for and docile so they won't come running out when you open the enclosure.

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
How about Peucetia viridans?? They have one at my local exotic pet store and I was putting forth consideration.