What are a couple new world Tarantulas you guys recommend?

tristen2chainz

Arachnopeon
Just looking for a couple more to look into, thinking about Aphonopelma chalcodes, any cool new worlds you guys like?

UtilityTurkey

Arachnopeon
Just a couple? Chalcodes is great.

Well all the Brachypelmas are great.

All the Phormictopus are great.

Psalmopoeus aren't bad.

Ephebopus are wacky.

A Theraphosa wouldn't hurt.

Add a Lasiodora in there for good measure.

And don't forget Pamphobeteus.

Did I mention Phormictopus?

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Just a couple? Chalcodes is great.

Well all the Brachypelmas are great.

All the Phormictopus are great.

Psalmopoeus aren't bad.

Ephebopus are wacky.

A Theraphosa wouldn't hurt.

Add a Lasiodora in there for good measure.

And don't forget Pamphobeteus.

Did I mention Phormictopus?
you could skip out on the lasiodora

UtilityTurkey

Arachnopeon
no, only the initiated know.
Oh ok. I like them as they eat a lot, get big, are easy-going and relatively hardy animals. I even have an immature male striatipes and subcanens sling, two species from the genus you don't see too often. I don't see any reason to hate on Lasiodoras, they're pretty underrated even though they're given off as freebies. Grammostolas are far more overrated.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
A. geniculata are fun to keep and quite stunning. Same could be said for a lot of em, though. Curlies and gbb are cool. So are pumpkin patch but if you don't already have a genic, I'd highly recommend picking one up.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Pamphobeteus sp. solaris and Cyriocosmus ritae. Big and little, expensive and cheap, both very cool looking.

ByMennen

Arachnosquire
Hit the arboreals. Avicularia for days.
Brachypelma __________ is my to pick though.

thedragonslapper

Arachnosquire
I’m an LP fan, too. Don’t see any mention of GBB (Chromatopelma). They’re beautiful and have simple husbandry. Mine loves to eat quite as much as my LPs unless she’s gonna molt soon.

Others I would recommend are...

T. stirmi (my fave of those three titans)
A. geniculata
Nhandu chromatus, tripeppii, and coloratovillisus
Psalmopoeus irminia & cambridgei
C. versicolor
Any Phormictopus (esp. cancerides)
Any Pamphobeteus
Any Brachypelma
G. pulchripes
A. moderatum or seemanni if you must have at least one ‘Phono. A. bicoloratum if you don’t already have a B. boehmei, as they look very similar in appearance and have the same general husbandry. Perhaps A. calcodes. I’m not much into ‘Phonos. They're pretty but they have glacial growth rates and are otherwise pretty boring to be honest. You’ll be ready to retire by the time that bicoloratum sling reaches maturity.

Last edited:

Brodeep

Arachnopeon
In no particular order (except Xenesthis - love this species):

Xenesthis sp.
A. geniculata
N. chromatus
Pamphobeteus sp.
P. sazimai are great too, but are really fast and skittish (at least mine is)

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
N. tripepii, P. cambridgei, B. horrida, T. pruriens......I could go on forever. They're all so amazing!

DustyD

Arachnoknight
G. pulchra the Brazilian Black tarantula is a beautiful species. I am also partial to G. rosea the Chilean Rose tarantula. My three slings have quite a bit of character and have dug deep mansions underground. G. pulchripes the Chaco Golden Knee can also be bulldozers. I had one overturn its corkbark hide.

A rarer species is the H. chilensis, a dwarf species, that i have read is a glacily slow grower and finicky eater but is supposedly a curious or explorer species.

Probably doesn't help you narrow your choices down, but chances are you will be buying more and more.