What advice would you give yourself?

PhilMcWonder

Arachnoknight
So I am thinking of one day starting up a youtube channel about Tarantulas and other creatures with the goal to counter some of the miss information that is out there but also just to have fun.

One of the things I wanted to make was a video for beginners who know nothing and are just starting out, and that got me thinking...

With all the tarantula knowledge you now have, If you could go back in time and give the beginner you advice, what would you tell yourself?

Mauv

Arachnopeon
  • Don't stress over the well-being of the T, you'll likely end up stressing it out too
  • They're very low maintenance pets
  • Tarantulas feel stressed in overly large enclosures. No need to over-estimate the space it needs, especially for slings

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Don't spend a fortune on enclosures, my first time in the hobby I bought a bunch of aquariums and screen tops, 10 gals weren't so bad but the 2.5 gallon and 20 gallon longs got pretty expensive over time. Now I use DIY, deli cups, or RUB types enclosures.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Since a lot of people start with Avics, I would attempt to dispel the myths and give proper care advice for them.
I would also let people know that pet store employees seldom know anything about T's - especially the chain store employees.

miss information
I'd like to meet her, she sounds like a really knowledgeable person :troll:

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That they are surprisingly addicting!

"Who on earth could possibly want more than one big, hairy spider?!?" (Me, when I first started out.)

A few years (and dozens of spiders) later: "Me, that's who!!!"

Minty

@londontarantulas
If I were to create a beginner's guide, I'd start off like you suggested and assume no knowledge from the viewer. I would mention that everything I speak about is from my experience and that there's always more learning to do. I'd advise the new keeper or potential new keeper to join a forum such as this one, ask lots of questions and do even more reading. One of the most important things to mention would be advising new keepers to not take constructive criticism of their husbandry, personally. Further to this, I'd advise against reading tarantula groups on Facebook as they're invariably a clusterF. I'd tell them to accept the fact that they will make newbie mistakes.

I'd mention suitable beginner species, what makes them suitable beginner species, and mention the typical things such as the differences between NW and OW, lifespans of males and females, moulting, tarantulas not being active pets. I think it would be important to note that there are always exceptions to the rule, when it comes to individuals that don't follow the expected behaviour of a particular species.

I'd tell people not to be in a huge rush to collect as many tarantulas as possible, as quickly as possible. I'd suggest buying the enclosure, substrate, hide and water dish, and setting it all up, before the tarantula is purchased.

I'd warn that youtubers are not the definitive guide for tarantula keeping.

I'd offer enclosure setup advice, suitable for the beginner species previously mentioned. I'd suggest rough estimates on a feeding schedule, but make the newbie aware that there isn't a set rule of thumb on how often to feed, and advise them to remove the prey item if it hasn't been consumed within 24hrs. I'd then talk about how to spot signs of premoult, to leave the tarantula alone while it is moulting, roughly how long to wait until attempting to feed it again after a moult (depending on its size).

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
YouTubers by and large are beginners and intermediate keepers. Don't listen to much of what they say.

Get on arachnoboards. Ask questions. This is the best place to get started learning about tarantulas by far.

Get some tarantula literature. Readings fun, and you can learn alot.

Learn binomial names asap.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
DON'T DO IT!!!

Its too dang addictive and and you'll end up spending 40% of your take home pay on getting more and more of them, instead of being a responsible person and setting yourself up for a financially successful life... :dead:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That you should never got into the hobby in tje first place! Its like "Hotel Carlifornia" You can never leave!:angelic:

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Patience. They aren't like cats or dogs, they will go off food for weeks because of premolt or just to preserve their girlish figures. They will bury themselves for long periods. All of this is natural and requires a hands off approach that people just dont seem to get.

Thanks,
--Matt

Liquifin

Arachnoking
The only mistake I would've told myself back then was the ICU thingy. But other than that, I was trained by a friend who was a T. hobbyist. So I did mostly fine besides the ICU mistake.

Boxcar8

Arachnopeon
So I am thinking of one day starting up a youtube channel about Tarantulas and other creatures with the goal to counter some of the miss information that is out there but also just to have fun.

One of the things I wanted to make was a video for beginners who know nothing and are just starting out, and that got me thinking...

With all the tarantula knowledge you now have, If you could go back in time and give the beginner you advice, what would you tell yourself?
- Don't freak out that your new Tarantula won't eat or remains burrowed. I've picked up a few slings while they were in pre-molt. They can go a long time without food, easy to say but you tend to overthink things as a beginner.

- Don't assume that every New World is easier to keep than every Old World. I'd say my A geniculata and C cyaneopubescens are both far feistier and more skittish than my H pulchripes. Experiences differ, obviously, but there are definitely New Worlds that do not fit the preconceived mold of "New World".

- Always maintain a colony of springtails and add them to every damp enclosure. They are a godsend.

Phia

Arachnopeon
I’m wondering what the discourse is about ICU? I’ve only had to use them in a couple unfortunate circumstances. Now I’m curious!

My advice would also be enclosure size. Enclosures can be too big! And fancy decorating tends to make things difficult and requires way more thought than just aesthetic.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
I’m wondering what the discourse is about ICU? I’ve only had to use them in a couple unfortunate circumstances. Now I’m curious!
They don't help, they stress out the T, and if it's an arid species, can be a deathtrap.

What did you use ICUs for?

Boxcar8

Arachnopeon
Thanks! It sounded a little weird that there would be an intensive care unit for a T.
From my understanding, it's some kind of humidity chamber to save a T that is showing signs of extreme weakness, dehydration or being near death.